Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, so you're all probably going to just laugh at this question, but i cant find an answer for it anywhere, so here it goes.

I know that spark timing is adjusted by using a timing light and rotating the distributor, and watching the timing marks on the belt. now, heres my question:

1) if you dont have a serpentine belt on your car (i.e. you have multiple belts), what belt do you look for to find the timing mark? Is it on the timing belt itself? this makes the most sense, but its hardest to get to because of the cowling protecting it.

2) how far can I advance the timing byeond stock without pinging my engine to death? furthermore, at about what point would I have to look into higher octane gasoline?

thanks for all your patience with me here...
looking forward to advice from people who know what they're doing...

:eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Generally the timing mark is never on any belts. It is on the crankshaft pulley on all Hondas and most any other car. On all 4-cyl. Hondas the red mark is for timing and the white mark indicates TDC. The timing belt is not visible on stock engines, it is located under plastic shrouding. The shrouds do not need to be removed to see the crank pulley marks. It is not a good idea to advance timing beyond stock more than a very few degrees. The increased risk of detonation/pre-ignition/pinging is very great compared to the slight H.P. gain. If you do decide to play around premium gas is definitely a good idea. I have found that cheap timing lights are worthless so buy a good one (Craftsman, Snap-On, MAC) or for cheap simply advance timing in small increments of 1-2 deg. and test by ear and driving. No light is as good as a cheap one. Your best bet is to make sure everything is set to factory spec. and maybe push it to the advanced end of what is recommended. Timing for the B18C1 for example is 14-18 deg. BTDC so I run 18 deg. on an all motor setup.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I suppose it depends on your engine really as to how much you can advance your timing. I've never messed around with the timing on my Honda, however when working on domestics I've had timing up to 36 deg BTDC. It really depends on how much compression your engine has. If you have a lower compression engine, you can advance your timing a good bit. If you have a high compression engine, you dont want to advance as much. If you have a lower compression engine, advance the timing until the engine won't crank at all, then turn it back until it has just enough "umph" to start up. Also if you do this, you'll have to run premium fuel for sure. If you hear detonation at that point, keep backing it off until it runs well.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
for the domestic guys, computer timing and base timing are two different things. Make sure you guys are measruing the corect ones.

For honda's, look here for a recent thread.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks!

yeah, my motor definately doesnt have high compression.....
prolly 8.x:1, at least, thats what i remember from the manual....

not major compression. Also, ive never had pinging problems except when my timing belt was falling off, so i dont think that my engine is particularly prone to pinging...

maybe ill borrow my auto classes timing light.

that should do the trick.

thanks alot! your advice really helps!

:number1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts