Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when i had my mr2 there were some people that put a 6" or 8" pvc port betwnn their front trunk where they had their subs and the cabin. Seemed to work well for them if i remember correctly. Anyone ever applied this idea to their del sol or ever heard of anyone doin it? I'm 6'2" so i can't afford to give up any room behind the seat for a custom enclosure. I figure a port between the trunk and cabin would alieviate all the rattling and buzzing of the plastic interior pieces behind the seats that i get at certain frequencies. Also it would get the bass into the cabin alot better, right?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
yes, many people have done it. with that area you can almost custom make it to fit anyone's needs (i.e. your height). some have put 1 sub behind each seat, but some have also put one sub in the middle of the seats.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm 6' tall.... daily drive the 4 point....

and fit the subs behind the seats...

Putting the subs in the back, and running the port up... would make the group delay of the ported box even worse,and would completely change the frequency response. Furthermore, with a ported box.. the speaker and the port need to fire into the same airspace for things to sound right... with the rear window housing, you'd still get your rattle... you'd still have all the downsides, and distorted bass.. plus most likely, port noise like a bitch.

I looked into it with the idea of a rather massive bandpass box taking up most of the trunk and running the ports into the cab... and moveing the amps to the cab.... but there just wasn't a way to get enough port.... 4 3" ports just isn't going to cut it on a bandpass setup for me...... so subs in the back are worthless...

UNLESS.. you're talking about a sub with a huge moving mass... and you bolt it to the car... and use the entire car's body to carry the resonation.... (example: a big 15 or an 18" in the spare tire well)

OR... if you're using a low frequency air pump.. (Phoenix Gold Cyclone or other servo "sub")

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey theres a guy on ebay that sells a custom sub box for th del sol it goes right behing the seats where those 2 storage boxes would go but the box only holds one sub if you wanna check it out when you go to ebay type in del sol sub or subs

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wfmrules3 said:
I have a 12" sub inbetween my seats. It looks awesome and it doesnt affect your seats or anything like that. Here is a pic
Got pics from other angles? How many cubic feet and what kind of sub? As it is right now i have my seats all the way back and reclined all the way. Not too much room back there to put my 2 10's without some serious fiberglassing i'd say. But the one you made looks great.

Qborofinest24 said:
hey theres a guy on ebay that sells a custom sub box for th del sol it goes right behing the seats where those 2 storage boxes would go but the box only holds one sub if you wanna check it out when you go to ebay type in del sol sub or subs
Couldn't find anything on ebay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dont need port

You dont need to put a port to your trunk, the sides by the finders are hallow just as good a ports. The only thing you need to do is make some decent looking cut outs in the panels in the trunk. Mine are 4" by 1" and have a seal around them. Im running two ten inch kicker compitetions (due to space, i go on alot of trips and need the space) and get a deep sound. I have won RTA compititions with the set up. So take my advive for what it is worth.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any chance of some pics of your setup? Sounds like something i'd want to do. Exactly what i'm lookin for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont have any pictures, right now. I floated a piston in my b16 and its at a locale race shop getting a b20 built in it. THe only thing special about my setup is the box is plexiglass and the amp is mounted in the Front of the trunk with the box strapped bown in front of it. The ports were nothing special I did it with a carpet knife and steady hands (layout befor cutting). Min are about two inches from the botton front of the side panels. For a seal I found some old seal used for window molding ( any thing that is split and look nice will work). Mine has about 1/2 inch seal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Shogun_GTP said:
You dont need to put a port to your trunk, the sides by the finders are hallow just as good a ports. The only thing you need to do is make some decent looking cut outs in the panels in the trunk. Mine are 4" by 1" and have a seal around them. Im running two ten inch kicker compitetions (due to space, i go on alot of trips and need the space) and get a deep sound. I have won RTA compititions with the set up. So take my advive for what it is worth.

yea, i'm expert in car audio olso, and i have electric roof!!
and plan to make 12" inch enclosure as well,and "must be an bassreflex)(an el brutallo-beast)
let me hear you my friend? where????how:))?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep, I've always thought of doing that...the trunk rattles like a bitch.

Basically I'm going with what all of you have been saying.

SivicFerioR - Real fast, why'd you get rid of your MR2? I thought about getting one, but would it be worth the high price. (Average I found was like $6K-7 just breaking 100K miles.)

-Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.