Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHERRY HILL, N. J. — Celebrity cyclist Lance Armstrong, who signed a $12-million, five-year deal in 2003 to serve as Subaru spokesman, may be out when the Japanese automaker announces its new advertising campaign later this month, according to a report by Ward's.

Subaru of America Inc. would not comment on the speculation.

Armstrong became the new face of Subaru in the U.S. two years ago, replacing Australian actor Paul Hogan, the star of the Crocodile Dundee movies.

Subaru switched advertising agencies last fall, going from TM to DDB New York.

What this means to you: Unless you're a huge Lance fan, this switch won't mean much.

-Edmunds.com

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
UMREX said:
they probably found out lance uses steroids. lol

...............wtf? Lance doesn't use steriods, everytime hes been checked its been negative. Hes denied it everytime and taken them all to court. I dont know if you are kidding or what, but I take that seriously.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
5.0 said:
njn63, he probably does a good bit of mountain biking as well (though not proffessionaly).

I wonder who they'll go with next.
Subaru sponsered the US MTB team. Not sure if they're still one of the main sponsers or not...

BTW: A few years back, Lance practiced for a bit then tried a couple pro MTB events. As I remember it, he wasn't totally able to gauage the pacing of the race and the technical nature of some of the obstacles he was faced with. He'd come in the top 1/3 but not close to the podium. With practice I think he'd kick buttock.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
Subaru sponsered the US MTB team. Not sure if they're still one of the main sponsers or not...

BTW: A few years back, Lance practiced for a bit then tried a couple pro MTB events. As I remember it, he wasn't totally able to gauage the pacing of the race and the technical nature of some of the obstacles he was faced with. He'd come in the top 1/3 but not close to the podium. With practice I think he'd kick buttock.
Yeah he's a good bike handler and does a cyclocross race once in a while (for those who don't know, cyclocross is kind of a cross between mtn and road... riding road-ish bikes with skinny knobby tires through mud and carrying the bike over obstacles). He does mtn. biking once in a while but not that much, probably because it's a diff. type of riding and would probably kind of "un-optimize" him for road racing... that and the whole possiblity of injury thing.

I'm a big Lance fan (clearly) but he didn't seem perfect for Subaru... maybe it was the stupid lines they gave him, half the time they didn't even make sense.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
njn63 said:
i always thought lance was kind of a weird fit for subaru. They always showed him riding a mountain bike offroad and with mud on his face. I mean, he's known for road racing, not mountain biking (don't know technical terms, sorry).

Then again, at least they quit the Crocodile Dundee campaign, i can't count how many people i've talked to that think Subaru is australlian because of it.
yeah they should use some offroad racer. not road racer.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
njn63 said:
I didn't say he didn't do it, i just said it wasn't what he was known for. Kinda weird to take someone and place them in a completely different setting in an ad.

For example, imagine a Ford commercial where they showed John Force road racing. Sure, he probably has done it or does it, but that's not what he's known for so it's kinda weird to see.

Subaru made a good attempt at making it work, but i just think it was too big of a stretch for their marketing department.
Agreed.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
divinewisdom said:
celine dion. :lol
I was gonna say Anna Nicole Smith, but you're right... Celine Dion's physique matches Lance's better... well, upper-body anyway.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
White98LS said:
Yeah he's a good bike handler and does a cyclocross race once in a while (for those who don't know, cyclocross is kind of a cross between mtn and road... riding road-ish bikes with skinny knobby tires through mud and carrying the bike over obstacles). He does mtn. biking once in a while but not that much, probably because it's a diff. type of riding and would probably kind of "un-optimize" him for road racing... that and the whole possiblity of injury thing.

I'm a big Lance fan (clearly) but he didn't seem perfect for Subaru... maybe it was the stupid lines they gave him, half the time they didn't even make sense.
It makes me have more appreciation for John Tomac. He road raced professionally, then kicked buttock in both CC & DH in the dirt. But going the other way, I hate to see how most MTB dOOds would do in a pro peleton, I think they couldn't adapt that easily either. :hehe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.