Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 JL Audio w3v2s dual 2 ohms with a memphis 1000d? the 1000d does 600w @ 2 ohms so if I am correct it will be be giving 300 watts to each sub? (150 to each coil) I'm pretty much a noob so if I'm wrong someone please tell me...also I'm not sure how I should wire the subs. So help there would be appreciated. Also is this a good combination? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
its actually not a good combination. get the dual 4 ohm JL's then you will be able to get the full power out of the amp. Even if you do only want 600 watts you can get the dual 4's with the 600D and it will cost less still give you 600 watts. Those subs will take 500 watts each if you set the gains right. my friend has the onld w3's with a crossfire 1000d he's had it for over 2 years no problems.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w3v2.html the subs are only rated for 300 watts RMS. I realize that JL often underrates their subs but if I was to get the 4 ohm versions, it would present a 1 ohm load (I think) which would be giving 550 watts to each sub. If the subs are only rated for 300 watts isn't 550 too much? I really don't want to blow out the subs... How would I go about setting the gains right so that it doesn't blow? I am pretty novice about this whole subject, so any help would be much appreciated. I don't even fully understand what the gains are.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't think you can wire to Dual Voice Coil Subs together at 2ohm's ... unless you put them in separate boxes and run them stereo. The best way to go is 1 ohm but ya gotta have a 1 ohm stable amp. Like acuradriva said ... get a Crossfire 1000d ... I know they're 1 ohm stable ... I got 2 of them. You will get full use of your power at 1 ohm ;)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
alright memhis makes 2 amps that will work for you. the 500d puts out 500 watts at 2 ohms. The 1000D puts out 1000 watts at 1 ohm and 600 watts at 2 ohms. If you dont want to go above JL's ratings you would need dual 2 ohm subs which will give you a 2 ohm load. the power would be about the same from both amps but the 500d will be cheaper. With the 1000d you will be paying for 500 watts that you wont use.

If you do want the 1000 watts to those subs you need dual 4's and the 1000d. Gain isn't a volume control which is why most noob's systems sound like crap and they blow alot of stuff up. Do you know how many times i've heard someone say and i only have the amp turned up like 3/4 of the way...WRONG.

Gains are to match the input of the amp to the output of the radio. Those memphis amps can take an input of 5V with the gain just about all the way down and make 1100 watts. Or if you have a really shitty radio with .5V outputs the gain will have to be all the way up to get the full 1100 watts.
Turning the gain up too high causes clipping. clipping causes more rms power because its not a smooth ac wave it turns it into a DC wave which is flat on the top and bottom. Distortion is also a byproduct of clipping so it sounds like crap because the sub doesn't move smoothly. Clipping also makes the amp try to draw alot of power. That is why alot of people get dimming. They try to make up for having a small amp by turning there gains up.
Ok thats enough ranting for now. If you want to know more check out this link.
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/gaincon2.htm

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks for the help. My head unit has 4 volt pre outs, so that means I should turn the gains on my amp pretty low, correct? And it'll still produce its full power? I think that's right. But still, isn't this going to blow the speakers? 550 watts to a 300 watt speaker seems like it will blow it, but I don't know what I'm talking about. If I set the gains low will this stop it from blowing the subs? I'm still pretty weary about giving them that much power because I'm on a pretty low income and if they blow I won't be able to replace them for a long time. If you tell me that they aren't going to blow if I set my gains low then I may do it though. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I'm just going by my experince. i had the old W3's. those were rated for 250 RMS. i ran about 400 to each for about a year and sold them to a friend like 2 years ago he has them hooked up to a crossfire 1000d which is about 600 per sub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts