Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, i have a pretty bad problem here. i had a cold air intake inside the fender. well that was a bad idea cause i was sucking up a little bit of water. no big deal, i figured id cut the intake and make it fit under the hood. well that worked perfectly. i cut it right, and it fit right. i did a better job customizing it to fit then some manufacturers produce them to fit. well...i still suck up water. i have no idea what to do! i need some help here. anyone else have this problem? i ben trying to think of a way to make a custom box (that will fit where i need it), to protect the filter from water, and yet not restrict too much airflow but i cant think of anything i can rig up. i even tried taking the short 90 degree angle piece of intake pipe and putting it on my throttle body and on the other end, the filter. it still seems to suck up a little bit of water somehow.

after i drive in the rain, ill look over by the battery where the filter sits, and itll be drenched! i cant figure that out either. i have the plastic inside the fender well. its old so its not flawless, but i dont see that letting that much water through. is there something else that im missing? is there supposed to be more in there then just the inner fender shroud? im having a hell of a time with this thing with the wether weve ben having here in jersey lately. i hope someone can help me, and thanks in advance guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
What you did was change your intake to a short ram that sits behind the battery? If this is true you should not be sucking water. That was one of the main ideas behind the short ram, to sit up under the hood and out of the water. I have never had one drop of water in that area. Have someone spray a hose under the car up toward that area while you watch, might see something that way. Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
johnlude85 said:
ok guys, i have a pretty bad problem here. i had a cold air intake inside the fender. well that was a bad idea cause i was sucking up a little bit of water. no big deal, i figured id cut the intake and make it fit under the hood. well that worked perfectly. i cut it right, and it fit right. i did a better job customizing it to fit then some manufacturers produce them to fit. well...i still suck up water. i have no idea what to do! i need some help here. anyone else have this problem? i ben trying to think of a way to make a custom box (that will fit where i need it), to protect the filter from water, and yet not restrict too much airflow but i cant think of anything i can rig up. i even tried taking the short 90 degree angle piece of intake pipe and putting it on my throttle body and on the other end, the filter. it still seems to suck up a little bit of water somehow.

after i drive in the rain, ill look over by the battery where the filter sits, and itll be drenched! i cant figure that out either. i have the plastic inside the fender well. its old so its not flawless, but i dont see that letting that much water through. is there something else that im missing? is there supposed to be more in there then just the inner fender shroud? im having a hell of a time with this thing with the wether weve ben having here in jersey lately. i hope someone can help me, and thanks in advance guys
That's pretty weird, I have got my engine front end's nose up to the headlights in a flood with a Cold Air Intake and nothing happened, breathed perfecty... of course I run an AEM WATER BYPASS VALVE Get one. :number1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
94andmore said:
What you did was change your intake to a short ram that sits behind the battery? If this is true you should not be sucking water. That was one of the main ideas behind the short ram, to sit up under the hood and out of the water. I have never had one drop of water in that area. Have someone spray a hose under the car up toward that area while you watch, might see something that way. Good Luck.


yeah, i made it a short ram. the fitler is soaked so water is getting introduced to my engine in small amounts, but i dont think its enough to hydrolock it. but still, if that little bit of water makes it run that rough, i dont want that at all. water is somehow coming up through the fender or something. im wondering if im missing one of the plastic peices in there. i have the one that lines the inner fender. is there another im supposed to have?

i also heard the bypass valve is what the air goes through when youre on the throttle hard and not the filter. is that true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
johnlude85 said:
yeah, i made it a short ram. the fitler is soaked so water is getting introduced to my engine in small amounts, but i dont think its enough to hydrolock it. but still, if that little bit of water makes it run that rough, i dont want that at all. water is somehow coming up through the fender or something. im wondering if im missing one of the plastic peices in there. i have the one that lines the inner fender. is there another im supposed to have?

i also heard the bypass valve is what the air goes through when youre on the throttle hard and not the filter. is that true?
That's the first thing that happened to me at first, but the AEM actually doesn't. They made a material flexible enough to maintain sealed when normal throttle but when there is actually water at the bottom the throttle response increases in vacuum pressure it needs to breathe leaving this material to then bend and let air in the engine.

Example.... take a straw and drink water, now make a small hole with a pin to the straw in the outter surface (not sinked in the water) and then try to drink. Which one did you made more vacuum to intake water? The one with the hole, did you intake more air than water? Now imagine more holes doing this... do you think no water will actually be intaked? Get the point? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,424 Posts
these may sound like dumb questions, but..

do you have the black plastic water "guard" underneath the nose of the car?
if not, that could let alotta water in.

also, are you sure the hood is closed properly?
this could also be another way for water to get into the engine bay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,221 Posts
twokexlv6coupe said:
these may sound like dumb questions, but..

do you have the black plastic water "guard" underneath the nose of the car?
if not, that could let alotta water in.

also, are you sure the hood is closed properly?
this could also be another way for water to get into the engine bay
yeah that's what i was thinking...maybe he's missing one or both of the rubber hood seals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Yeah, maybe he is missing those seals. Regardless, unless you submerge the filter in water, it shouldn't really hurt the performance. And I'd recommend staying away from the bypass valves, there was problem with them breaking and being sucked into the intake manifold, which causes obvious problems. I'd say do the test with a hose, spray it under and see where it comes through. You must be missing something, or something is damaged, to be letting water into the engine bay in those quantities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
twokexlv6coupe said:
these may sound like dumb questions, but..

do you have the black plastic water "guard" underneath the nose of the car?
if not, that could let alotta water in.

also, are you sure the hood is closed properly?
this could also be another way for water to get into the engine bay

I also was going to comment about that. You can have the wheel well liners, but if that lower chin guard isnt there, then everything is going to get soaked. I havent had the seals around the headlights on the hood and several people run Carbon hoods without them with no probs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all i have is the fender liners and the second hood gasket above the rad support. i know alot of cars dont have the under belly guard and dont get water. the only thing i can think of is that the fender liner is a bit (and i mean a bit) torn, so i could try replacing that. i dont think thatll be the problem though. i cant figure it out. its ben bugging me for a long time now. i have to have the filter right next to the distributor and its really hurting performance. i have nothing in higher rpms. it feels like its more restricting then stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
this may seem a little out there, but since it just happened to me :mad , and might be something you haven't noticed yet, have you checked the radiator/hoses for any leaks? my radiator just busted, a hairline crack near the radiator cap sprays coolant under the hood and around that area (where your air filter would be) and could look like water at a casual glance...check out it, b/c your problem is really strange, i dont know how there could be water getting into the intake especially since you've modified your pipe to a shortram....also check the battery for leaks while you're at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
97AClude said:
this may seem a little out there, but since it just happened to me :mad , and might be something you haven't noticed yet, have you checked the radiator/hoses for any leaks? my radiator just busted, a hairline crack near the radiator cap sprays coolant under the hood and around that area (where your air filter would be) and could look like water at a casual glance...check out it, b/c your problem is really strange, i dont know how there could be water getting into the intake especially since you've modified your pipe to a shortram....also check the battery for leaks while you're at it.
battery is good, and there are no holes in my rad hoses. it only happens when it rains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,092 Posts
the intake vacuum shouldnt be strong enough to suck in small amounts of water...think about sucking a straw while splashing water at it...the vacuum wont be strong enough to pull in any more than tiny droplets. your intake pipe is much longer so i doubt even droplets are making it all the way to the intake manifold and even if they are, i cant see it hurting anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Weenie said:
the intake vacuum shouldnt be strong enough to suck in small amounts of water...think about sucking a straw while splashing water at it...the vacuum wont be strong enough to pull in any more than tiny droplets. your intake pipe is much longer so i doubt even droplets are making it all the way to the intake manifold and even if they are, i cant see it hurting anything
thats kind of what i was thinking, but what would explain the rough running condition after running through a puddle.

i press in the clutch, and when im out of the puddle, i let off the clutch and give it gas and it runs horrible. i still cant figure it out. its ben happening longer then when i first posted it on here. i ran out of ideas, so i figured id ask everyone here if they knew what could be wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Could be exhaust , like a fast change in temp or might get water in it ?
shot in the dark , but hope it helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,092 Posts
johnlude85 said:
thats kind of what i was thinking, but what would explain the rough running condition after running through a puddle.

i press in the clutch, and when im out of the puddle, i let off the clutch and give it gas and it runs horrible. i still cant figure it out. its ben happening longer then when i first posted it on here. i ran out of ideas, so i figured id ask everyone here if they knew what could be wrong.
that could be caused by lots of things though...water could be splashing on a wire or connector and shorting it out, water could be getting into your distributor, or maybe you got a leak in your intake manifold gasket and water is being splashed up there and sucked directly in. fixin cars is all about thinkin outside the box...take a broad look at everything dont assume the obvious...sry i know that doesnt solve your problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
I have a short ram with homemade heatshield and all that plastic piping in the fender removed and I noticed that my filter was a little damp after hwy drivin in heavy rain. The engine didn't feel different. I just assumed it was dampness in the air or maybe the spray from other cars making the filter a bit moist, but not enought to hurt anything...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Weenie said:
that could be caused by lots of things though...water could be splashing on a wire or connector and shorting it out, water could be getting into your distributor, or maybe you got a leak in your intake manifold gasket and water is being splashed up there and sucked directly in. fixin cars is all about thinkin outside the box...take a broad look at everything dont assume the obvious...sry i know that doesnt solve your problem
not to sound like an ass, but im a mechanic. thats the first thing i tried. i took a spray bottle full of water and sprayed everything underneath my car with it running up on the lift. i didnt get anything. the distributor is brand new. ill have to post pics. where my filter sits is completely soaked with water after i get home in the rain and pop my hood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,092 Posts
aight aight my bad...i responded like you were a newb cuz im used to responding to dumbasses :) j/w is the hood wet when this happens at all?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top