Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a G2 LS with 160,000 miles. Only mod I've done is suspension.

I have a budget of about $1500 to $2000. What should I do ? Currently it runs very good, almost like new. My goal is more hp and also keep the reliability.

Thanks,

Joe

· Registered
295 Posts
I have a GS with a 160K miles too. About 1000miles ago i put on a new head. Get a CAI, and a 2.25" test pipe from testpipe.com. You should feel some power from those two. Remember buy used. it saves a ton of money. thepartstrader.com

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nick, did you put in a rebuild b18b head ? So basically it is still stock, but now you have CAI and exhaust (testpipe). Or did you put on a b16a head ?

Thanks for your tips on thepartstrader.com

Joe

· Registered
1,017 Posts
I would compression and leak-down test your engine before you start putting money into it. With that many miles you may be able to pin-point any problems by doing this.

· Registered
49 Posts
the b18c should just drop in pretty nicely. even IF the motor mounts are different, there are kits you can buy that will position the motor in the right place. the 1.8 vtec motor is probably one of the best to put in if your going all motor. the main concerns would be the wiring for the motor and sensors and all that emissions crap. if he is able to find the ultra rare 1.7 vtec motor from the 92-93 gsr, then it'll bolt on without any mods. the 1.8 vtec is no different, it'll drop right on in.

91int: since your in Ca. you know how strict smog is here. just because your car has high miles on it, that shouldnt deter you from fixing it up. just get a compression test and leak down test down and if all thats cool, then go for the upgrades :) oh with $1500-$2000 and you living in So. Cal you can find a shop down there that'll drop in a 1.8 vtec motor for that much easily.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your info. I am still debating between swap in a b18c GSR engine or do what Nick did, swap a high performance head and cam it and do your typical i/h/e.

I will make sure if I do the later route I will get a compression / leak down test. Right now, the car runs very well. I would almost want to say like new. It does eat up more motor oil (no external leaks) but that's something I don't mind. I have been using synthetic oil since the car was 1500 miles, 11 years ago.

Nick, how much did you spent on the JG head set up (p and P and misc ) ?

Thank you all,

Joe

· Registered
259 Posts
come on guys 160000 miles on a honda that at sh*t it's just getting broke in:D anyway my friend has a crx with the same original motor in it, milage gauge broke we think it as 260000 or so.he has i/h/e and that little car will sh*t and get and that little car don't even smoke and he runs the shit out of it.it just shows if you take care of them there good for a long time.

· Registered
49 Posts
91int said:
spikymike, are you suggesting any b18c would drop in nicely ? or does it have to be from g3 ?
yep, you'll only find b18c on the 94+ integras. you would have to wire up all the smog equipement from the year of the gs-r that you got the motor out of to be legal here in Ca. all you need is motor, ecu, tranny, wiring harness, all the related smog parts. there might be others too, someone feel free to add on. if your car is an automatic, its gonna cost even more since you have to swap in all the proper parts to switch it to stick.

the only time you'll be welding in new motor mounts is when you drop in a prelude engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.