Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This forum is veering away from actually being about the shared joy of playing games and people's: reviews, helpful hints, questions, etc. and is turning into more of an industry rant section.

Yup, I know I share an amount of blame in that area but it's come to my attention that things might need to change a bit around here.

How would you peeps like to see the forum change for the better? Or maybe everybody likes the current way it is and would like to keep the status quo?

One thought is to keep the sub-forums totally about software and the general section about hardware, news, etc.

Another is that I might start culling dead industry threads that have little or no interest about them after the initally few days they are posted (as to "clean up" the forum).

Constructive thoughts, comments? This will be a low tolerance thread for whoring, flaming, etc. But I most definitely would like to get some feedback over the next few days.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'm just gonna throw some stuff out here to get the ball rolling on this...

IMO, the Console specific sub-forums should be predominantly for console specific discussion and console exclusive games. The console specific sub-forums should probably also be used for games who's online is completely separate from other consoles for example:

All consoles will eventually get Burnout but, we may not be able to play Burnout 360 vs PS3 vs Wii. Things like online gatherings and tournaments unless cross platform should remain in their dedicated console sub.

Anything that can be done on more than one console should be placed in the main Games forum.

This all, again, is just my opinion. :cool

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Given the current market I think its created a time of conflict between console owners. Everyone has their own opinion of whos going to come out on top and why. I dont think its really cause for deletion. But mentioning it and saying hay lets get back to just talk about the games we do like rather than the consoles we think are going to fail , not live up to their potential or just plain wont get the user base they had hoped for.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know that I was originally for it when it came up, but after seeing it in practice for a while, I don't like the console-specific subforums... I find that I'm less likely to post if I have to click in 3-4 different subforums and then click on threads in addition to that. It might seem lazy, but the less clicks the better, and I notice that even on videogame-specific forums, there is only one forum for all gaming topics. This works well and keeps the forum alive and really active.

-Mike

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
You want my take? Ban sensationalist threads about sales, failures, or success.

Too many people here seem to think that the (stupid) industry "opinion" is the right one, and want to bank on the failures of one console and bag on it for said reasons. I, for one, wouldn't be so prone to argue with people if these threads weren't taken as "truth" or even posted. It's ridiculous to read about the Wii being the second coming of the lord that will change gaming forever, and it's ridiculous to read about the PS3 failing and burying Sony. It is also just as ridiculous to read threads proclaiming the 360 as a death machine that will always break down.

I honestly think anyone who posts in a videogame sub-forum of a CAR forum is probably "in tune" enough to not really have to read all of that clutter. It's not necessary.

If you remove those stupid regurgitated news storys that people feel they need to post in order to boost their post count offering no input until someone say's it's stupid, then you remove 90% of the bickering on this forum.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that's true. Nearly every thread I start is in reference to a videogame, and it get's zero attention. In fact, I've noticed it's like that for a lot of threads, people seem to just want to argue about their choice of said console.

But yea, I think if you "ban" those sorts of threads, the failure / NPD / succes / blah blah blah...you get rid of a lot of the craziness here.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Obviously everyone is too busy with nintendo rules threads and hating on me, rofl.

Sorry man, I guess there won't be much response here :(

BTW, think you could change the title of the uncharted thread in the Playstation forum?

It just say's something about Naughty Dog game and leaked images now.

BTW, I'll have some Warhawk goodies in a little while, not that Screens are hard to come by, but I'll do my best to take some photo's and post them up :)

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Keep your biased opinions out, and I don't appreciate the(although very subtle), reference to me posting stories. It is just gaming news, why shouldn't it be posted?

I think if a thread is not getting any attention or feedback after a few days, go ahead and delete it. No problem with that.

Although I was originally against the sub forums, I actually have grown to like them. It helps one sort through topics. I like being able to post or start threads about console exclusive type things in a specific sub forum as seems much more organized. The main forum seems good for posting big stories or those that pertain to the whole industry.

As far as stories go, as in opinions, ect., I do not think they are all bad as they generally do a good job at creating a good debate(although often times they do get quite heated). And as far as NPD goes, that is just industry news and as real as the facts can get, so why should we ignore/ban it?

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
blackdelsol94 said:
Keep your biased opinions out, and I don't appreciate the(although very subtle), reference to me posting stories. It is just gaming news, why shouldn't it be posted?

I think if a thread is not getting any attention or feedback after a few days, go ahead and delete it. No problem with that.

Although I was originally against the sub forums, I actually have grown to like them. It helps one sort through topics. I like being able to post or start threads about console exclusive type things in a specific sub forum as seems much more organized. The main forum seems good for posting big stories or those that pertain to the whole industry.

As far as stories go, as in opinions, ect., I do not think they are all bad as they generally do a good job at creating a good debate(although often times they do get quite heated). And as far as NPD goes, that is just industry news and as real as the facts can get, so why should we ignore/ban it?
Simply because any time I disagree with said posts, or post up an alternative hypothesis, it's immediately labeled as stupid, fanboy "ish", etc. Fact is, it's nearly impossible for me to say "hey, Sony isn't doomed, there are games coming out, great ones, and the hardware does justify it's purchase" without someone getting their panties in a bunch and then telling me how a $250 console is leaps and bounds better than a PS3 simply because it's selling to everyone and their mother simply for the novelty it offers.

For instance, it's "stupid" for me to say "In July" there are good games coming out, becuase everyone pretends that "July" is a "long ways away". Yet it's "fine" to say the 360's price will drop "in a few months" yet a "few months" is in freaking NOVEMBER. Somehow it's wrong for me to say ONE MONTH isn't that far away, yet 6 months is "a few".

In the scheme of things, these consoles will probably last around 4-5 years. How the next 3-4 months is a "long wait" in a 5 year lifespan is entirely beyond me, which is why I simply :lmao when you guy's pretend the PS3 needs games "now" or else it's "doomed".

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
:rolleyes No, it is not that you simply disagree that is the problem. The problem is that you go off on random tangents and rant about how everything else is terrible compared to the PS3. No one in this forum can say a WORD that is against the PS3, or even sometimes for another system without you jumping on their throat right away. You are only viewed as a fanboy because you seem to have the arrogant mind set that all of your opinions ring 100% true while everyone else has the mental capability of a small child. You do not "offer up an alternative hypothesis," you only believe your own opinion to be fact and everyone else's that differs as wrong.

And no, the problem is you talk about all these future releases as if they are already out and you are enjoying them in your living room as we speak. I have agreed with you COUNTLESS times that the PS3 has a very bright future, but that apparently just fell on deaf ears. As it stands NOW, as in TODAY, the PS3 still is not worth the price tag...only because there are not enough standout console exclusives, or what I would consider "system-sellers," to warrant purchase. The PS3's best title so far was a launch title...and it is now 7 months later...that is not good. But, I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO CHANGE, I don't remember ever disagreeing with you on that. At this point the Wii is only ahead because it has enough standout games to warrant its price tag.

I do not recall anyone saying we are going to have to wait a long time for some good PS3 games either...and what that also has to do with a 360 price drop I am not sure. You argue reasons to buy a PS3 are all these games that have to be released...so when is the last time someone argued a reason to buy a 360 is the price drop this fall? :rolleyes

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
blackdelsol94 said:
:rolleyes No, it is not that you simply disagree that is the problem. The problem is that you go off on random tangents and rant about how everything else is terrible compared to the PS3. No one in this forum can say a WORD that is against the PS3, or even sometimes for another system without you jumping on their throat right away. You are only viewed as a fanboy because you seem to have the arrogant mind set that all of your opinions ring 100% true while everyone else has the mental capability of a small child. You do not "offer up an alternative hypothesis," you only believe your own opinion to be fact and everyone else's that differs as wrong.

And no, the problem is you talk about all these future releases as if they are already out and you are enjoying them in your living room as we speak. I have agreed with you COUNTLESS times that the PS3 has a very bright future, but that apparently just fell on deaf ears. As it stands NOW, as in TODAY, the PS3 still is not worth the price tag...only because there are not enough standout console exclusives, or what I would consider "system-sellers," to warrant purchase. The PS3's best title so far was a launch title...and it is now 7 months later...that is not good. But, I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO CHANGE, I don't remember ever disagreeing with you on that. At this point the Wii is only ahead because it has enough standout games to warrant its price tag.

I do not recall anyone saying we are going to have to wait a long time for some good PS3 games either...and what that also has to do with a 360 price drop I am not sure. You argue reasons to buy a PS3 are all these games that have to be released...so when is the last time someone argued a reason to buy a 360 is the price drop this fall? :rolleyes
Quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read. Buying a PS3 now for the good games it has, and the great games that are coming out, is significantly different than buying a 360 now because there will be a price drop, if I understood the way your poorly worded sentence conveyed your thoughts.

Also, the reasons I may act "arrogant" toward you all is becuase you seem to think that the other two consoles are exempt from faults. Seriously.

You shit on the PS3's online, but praise the Wii, even though it's online component is uhh, nothing?

You praise the 360's online, even though there are a lot of services for FREE that offer better feature sets and value. For free.

You say the PS2 was garbage, and how it broke down so frequently, yet ignore than currently, the 360's problem is more severe than the PS2's. All of this while ignoring how wonderfully stable and reliable the PS3 is.

You pretend that the PSP is a failure, even though it's selling faster than the PS2 did. So what if the DS is enjoying this enormous success? The PS2 was a huge hit, and the PSP is selling better than that, so that = success, right?

You "pretend" the Wii is this great console, when facts are facts and it has just as many "games" as the PS3, yet you IGNORE That, and simply say the PS3 doesn't have any games. Even though both are in the same boat. Price difference? I'm getting a PS1/PS2/PS3/Blu-Ray Player/DVD Player/Internet/PSN Store Downloads/etc etc etc. Quite frankly, the $250 price tag for the Wii is not reason to say it's exempt from only having Wii Sports and Paper Mario.

My "problem" is that the 'lot' of you seem to ignore each and every shortcoming of every other console and focus only on the PS3. How you can overlook your own bias in place of my simple logic presented in response of stupid statements is beyond me.

You "pretend" to be neutral, yet priase the Wii only for it's controller, ignoring it's lack of games...yet the PS3's price is not just? How is a $250 gamecube with a new controller justified? How? Please tell me how it's okay to blow $250 to waggle a remote, just becuase it's "new"? You know why? BECAUSE IT'S WHAT'S "IN".

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
con, you've really made a name for yourself being argumentative that poeple are turning the tides back on you now :giggle
i think it would be best if people could just get over themselves, and realize this is a web forum, and if you can't have a discussion, then dont post. pointing fingers and arguing on here is about as useful as cybersex. it's cool at first, but after awhile, you realize you're still jerking yourself off.

anway, this is a suggestion thread, not a place for you guys to argue, so take it to the PM's if you want to continue your discussion, please.

one thing i do know, is i like the subforums. i didn't like seeing GoW threads thinking they related to god of war, when they weren't. i like knowing that i'm looking at stuff that i have, or could have.
as for the main forum, i would like to think we can have industry discussions here without them turning into arguments, and some people might get news that other people don't get (game releases, console updates, etc). i really see no reason to change it much.

·
Registered
984 Posts
NegroDamus said:
Ban the con from the game section. :lol2 j/k
LOL, at quote and at sig... Anywho, I like the forum the way they are now. The specific forum does not work because not a lot of people go there and the main game forum is where all the hits are at. Yea it gets clutter up and what not and I do not mine the news about sales, success, failure, etc. because in those post we debate among each other and we pretty do what this forum intended purpose is and that is talk about video games. Shiba do as you please to the forum just don't make it even more of a hassle to get to places... Also we should have sticky on like whats your gamer tag, xfire sn, friends codes, etc....

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
No, my sentence was not poorly worded; the only thing that is quite possibly poor is your reading comprehension. :rolleyes

I said, "You argue reasons to buy a PS3 are all these games that have yet to be released...so when is the last time someone argued a reason to buy a 360 is the price drop this fall?" in response to, "For instance, it's 'stupid' for me to say 'In July' there are good games coming out, becuase everyone pretends that 'July' is a 'long ways away'. Yet it's 'fine' to say the 360's price will drop 'in a few months' yet a 'few months' is in freaking NOVEMBER. Somehow it's wrong for me to say ONE MONTH isn't that far away, yet 6 months is 'a few'."

Do you realize how stupid that point is? If I am correct, you are trying to say: no one should be burning on you for saying "a good reason to buy a PS3 is for the games are going to be coming out in a month or two," while they themselves are saying "the 360 price drop is going to come in a few months."

Why is this stupid? Well for one it is made up, as no one is "pretending" these games are any further out than they really are. Most people simply look at what is CURRENTLY AVAILABLE, while you talk about these games like they are already sitting on retail shelves. Secondly, it is a completely dumb and irrelevant analogy, as they do not correspond with each other at all, nor is the 360's price drop a reason people are using to warrant purchase of the 360. Do you get my point yet? :bash

And for the last time, I KNOW the other systems are not perfect either. The only difference is that I have 3 systems right now, and two of them actually make me feel as if I have received my money's worth(hint: the PS3 is not one of the two). I have COMPLETELY acknowledged the fact that Nintendo has an extremely poor excuse for online at this point. I praise the Wii for other things besides online, like the fact that it has already been graced by what I would consider TWO "system sellers" while the PS3 is still sitting at zero. Does the fact that the Wii has no online change the fact that PSN still pales in comparison to XBL? No.

I have also SAID MYSELF that MS should give you more for your money, or at least price cut what a gold membership costs for XBL. But seriously, what other "services" offer better feature sets? PSN? You've got to be joking.

Please find when I said the PS2 was garbage? I loved my PS2, I own over 20 games for the damn thing. The laser was a pretty big problem at one point, as 4 of my friends had to send in their PS2s to get them fixed. I fortunately never encountered this problem. I believe you yourself have even acknowledged the fact that the build quality of the PS2 was not up to par. But please, find me a statistic from a reliable source that shows the 360 has had more trouble than the PS2. Also, I have never "ignored" the build quality of the PS3, but in actuality praised the thing for some of the features Sony included (i.e. shutting itself off if it is in danger of overheating).

I also never said the PSP was a failure, far from if you look at the sales numbers alone. But compared to the DS it is a failure, as it lacks compelling software. Unless you like playing crappy PS2 ports, the PSP does not really serve for much. Movies? UMD was a failure. Music? Got an iPod. Games? Rather buy a DS.

The Wii IS a great console. Despite its drought of games, and again, I have said it is just as bad as the PS3, yet it did not cost me HALF AS MUCH and has a few things the PS3 does not. Granted there is no Blu-Ray player, it has two games that virtually ANYONE can literally pick up and play, and have immediate fun with. Please name a few games on the PS3 that can do the same. The Wii also has two system sellers at this point, which is two more than the PS3 has. Be as sarcastic as you want about Paper Mario and Zelda, but the truth is that they are both better games than anything the PS3 has to offer. And let me remind you once more, it costs $350 less.

No one is overlooking shortcomings besides you. I have acknowledged the weaknesses of the 360 and Wii, yet whenever a weakness is brought up about the PS3 you get super defensive and throw a fit. I do not have a bias, I just feel ripped off. If I pay 600 fucking dollars for a system, it better feel like I got $600 worth out of it. And at this point it feels like it is worth maybe half of that.

Also, the Wii is more powerful than a GC, and you know this. Now you are just twisting the truth to undercut the Wii even more. And no, you just answered your own question. If I am getting MORE AND BETTER games for a system that costs $350 less, Sony should probably re-evaluate their price point. The Wii also has backwards compatability with ANY GC game, while the PS3's is limited. The Wii also has internet and downloads. But yeah, just keep labeling it as "waggling" a controller, because if it was only that I guarantee the Wii would not be selling like hot cakes.

You contradict yourself all the time, and the above post really reveals your true colors. For someone who has bragged about how much they think the PSP is a piece of crap, you sure defended it just now for who knows what reason, and for someone who admitted the PS2 had terrible build quality, you again just defended it, UNPROVOKED. :hehe Add that on top of the fact that you are in love with a system that is not worth the price of admission, and it seems you have a love for anything Sony while viewing anything and everything else as inferior. My own view is that the PS3 is a very powerful machine with some awesome games in the works, but as of RIGHT NOW, still fails to feel like it gives me my money's worth.

The bottom line is that you only see what you want to. I have acknowledged everything you just said, yet you frequently say I "ignore" all these things that I have actually said myself. You twist my words, as there is a big difference between me saying "the PS3 has no games" and "the PS3 does not have enough outstanding exclusives to warrant purchase." People view you as arrogant, because as you again just displayed, you view everything from a biased angle and consider any opinion different from your own as automatically wrong.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
After the first few sentences of convoluted bullshit I didn't even bother to read the rest.

I made no comparison for purchasing points on the games coming out and price drop of the 360.

My comparison was used only to show that your mind fucked ideas of time are distorted. You think July is an eternity away. It's "the future". July, believe it or not, is only 24 days away.

The 360 price drop is "a few months" when in reality, it's nearly 6 months away (note: That's around 180 days).

That was my point. That you "suggest" there are no games coming out for the PS3 for a "while" and that in the "future" there will be. Yet, for some reason, the 6 months it will take for the 360 to price drop is only a "few months".

Basically, you're understanding of the concept of time is obviously fucked beyond repair. That was my point. Anyone who buy's a PS3 now will pretty much enjoy a great title (not by my opinion on screens, but by my take based on hands on previews from a multitude of other gamers) every month until Christmas.

The buy it now, they've got a good 5 or so titles to enjoy. Then NGS, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk (fucking awesome) SOCOM, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, etc.

But, for some reason, you seem to look only at the "last" release, as if that's the benchmark for gaming coming out, when the reality is, no one buy's a game and burns it out within a week. yet you seem to think if all of those titles aren't available at the same time, they don't matter, at all. :hehe

The only reason this is funny to me is you seem to think the Wii is exempt from the same standards, lol. Simply because it's cheaper.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Good comback, just ignore my post...don't bother to read my comeback, just label it as "convoluted bullshit." Let me give you some cliffnotes as I suppose that was to much for your biased brain to handle. If you read that many points proving you an idiot your head would probably explode. :hehe

1. The benchmark for how much a system worth IS INDEED SET BY WHAT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE.

2. I actually HAVE acknowledged every problem that you just listed, and some you just completely made up.

3. You at times completely contradict yourself. You also only see what you want to see, apparently blind to many things that I MYSELF have said, ignoring them just for your dumb argument. Lastly, you twist what is said to again make your argument sound better.

BTW, 24 days is still the future, there is nothing wrong with what I said. I am just looking at what is out now. I am not even pretending it is that far away, but you for some reason are interpreting it as me saying it is far away. Games coming out in a month does not qualify as NOW. I don't think it is my mind that has a distorted idea of time... :rolleyes

I mean for fuck's sake, I HAVE NEVER "suggested" that it will be awhile before some truly great titles are released for the PS3. All I have said is that the PS3 has an extremely bright future, you are the one interpreting "future" as months or years... I have said that RIGHT NOW it does not have much that makes me feel content with my purchase and I give good reason for that. Why can't you accept an opinion, a widely agreed upon one, at that? Because it differs from yours? When are you going to get over yourself?

And finally, no the Wii is not exempt from the same standards. The standard for all my consoles is the same: I just want to feel as if I have received my money's worth. It is easier to do that on a $250 console than a $600 console. I have already told you multiple times why.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
blackdelsol94 said:
Good comback, just ignore my post...don't bother to read my comeback, just label it as "convoluted bullshit." Let me give you some cliffnotes as I suppose that was to much for your biased brain to handle. If you read that many points proving you an idiot your head would probably explode. :hehe

1. The benchmark for how much a system worth IS INDEED SET BY WHAT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE.

2. I actually HAVE acknowledged every problem that you just listed, and some you just completely made up.

3. You at times completely contradict yourself. You also only see what you want to see, apparently blind to many things that I MYSELF have said, ignoring them just for your dumb argument. Lastly, you twist what is said to again make your argument sound better.

BTW, 24 days is still the future, there is nothing wrong with what I said. I am just looking at what is out now. I am not even pretending it is that far away, but you for some reason are interpreting it as me saying it is far away. Games coming out in a month does not qualify as NOW. I don't think it is my mind that has a distorted idea of time... :rolleyes

I mean for fuck's sake, I HAVE NEVER "suggested" that it will be awhile before some truly great titles are released for the PS3. All I have said is that the PS3 has an extremely bright future, you are the one interpreting "future" as months or years... I have said that RIGHT NOW it does not have much that makes me feel content with my purchase and I give good reason for that. Why can't you accept an opinion, a widely agreed upon one, at that? Because it differs from yours? When are you going to get over yourself?

And finally, no the Wii is not exempt from the same standards. The standard for all my consoles is the same: I just want to feel as if I have received my money's worth. It is easier to do that on a $250 console than a $600 console. I have already told you multiple times why.
So just because there aren't games available now you don't feel content with a PS3?

Yet you feel content re-buying old NES games on a $250 console? What happens when there's a summer drought for any one of these three consoles? Will you then feel less content becuase you won't have anything to play? IT's STUPID, to say the least, to say you don't feel content simply because you have to wait maybe a half a year.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Con is there any thread you go into where you don’t start a fight? Simply suggesting a ban on "Ban sensationalist threads about sales, failures, or success." is pathetic. Its gaming news and just because you don’t like it or disagree with it does not mean it needs to be banned.

I’m starting to form the opinion that you come into the gaming forum just to start fights.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Rev ATARI said:
Con is there any thread you go into where you don’t start a fight? Simply suggesting a ban on "Ban sensationalist threads about sales, failures, or success." is pathetic. Its gaming news and just because you don’t like it or disagree with it does not mean it needs to be banned.

I’m starting to form the opinion that you come into the gaming forum just to start fights.
Well then congratulations, I applaud you for formulating an opinion.

My "call for a ban" is simply because no one here really cares to think, or offer any kind of thought when they post random stories. They just "post" them without any sort of input. I'd say at a minimum, 45% of all the news posted on this site is rumor, false, or just stupid. And to me, by not posting any input, I immediately assume that you agree with it, which is why for some stories I post responses to the ridiculous topics and articles that are posted.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts