Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of these dyno results from AEM???

Cars compaired:

STOCK

1. 2000 Civic Ex
2. 1998 Civic DX

1. Civic Ex STOCK

Stock WHP: 104.4
Stock Torque: 93.2

2. Civic Dx STOCK

Stock WHP: 95.4
Stock torque:94.0
(their saying a stock Dx has more torque then a stock EX)

With just an AEM CAI

1. Civic Ex AEM CAI

WHP: 109.2 (Max gain of [email protected])
Torque: 100.9 (Max gain of [email protected])

2. Civic Dx AEM CAI

WHP: 106.2 (Max gain of [email protected])
Torque: 103.4 (Max gain of [email protected])

Anyone either shocked by these results, or see a problem with them? By the looks of these dynos, the DX responded better to the mod, and basically closed the gap between the EX and itself???

All the information in this thread came from:

http://www.aempower.com/application/induction_application.htm

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I am not supprised at all. Do remmeber as the higher performance of the car goes up the less it will respond to mods. Take a type R vs a dx. A type R comes out of the box hooked up from factory. So to be able to get more power out of it will be harder. A DX is made for a low noise high mpg car. So for an intake will gain higher #'s for the fact Honda had no meaning in developing an intake for performance. Not to mention the dx has a vtec e system with is basically having no vtec. Remmeber a honda engine that has to vtec has more tq the one with, or the aspect ratio between ther hp and tq is closer then one with vtec. I hope i didnt confuse anyone.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Actually, the DX has no VTEC at all, it is the HX that has the VTEC-E system. You are right though that the car geared for lower performance is going to respond better to modifications than a "higher-performance" car is going to. I would imagine that the DX stock intake system is very restrictive when compared to the EX because of the fact that the EX has VTEC. Granted, it is not a very aggresive VTEC system, but it does need to be able to flow more air, that is how VTEC works, by allowing more air to enter the cylinder at higher RPMs via a more aggresive cam profile. And while the EX is rated at 127 hp at the flywheel and the DX or 105 or 106 (I can't remember exactly how much), that doesn't translate to a huge difference at the wheels, especially if the DX doesn't have A/C or powersteering. Without those, the DX doens't lose as much hp as the EX between the crank and the ground.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i might agree with it.... i raced my boy's 96 ex... he has arospeed short ram with exhaust. I have a 98 dx with aem cai. Our cars were about dead even every time we raced.... neither one of us could seem to pull on eachother.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I like those results...I have a 96 EX sadly an automatic...so i mean i am hoping to get similar results...

BTW Oxygen i love ur sig car :) that looks evil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts