Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, just got my prelude this month, pretty happy with it. Totaled my 97 maxima stick. Lost traction going 120+ and got cut off pretty badly while the highway was curving. Had about $2500 worth of shit in it.

As for my prelude, wanted to do some suspension mods. Thinking about suspension techniques sway bars, front and rear. Front and a rear upper tower bars and a rear tie bar.

What brands are the best?? Or is there not much of a difference so might as well get the $10 things off of ebay. How hard is everything to instal? How effectice is all of this on a prelude compared to just getting springs? I know eibachs and teins were perfomance springs the best brands available for my maxima and H&Rs had the best ride quality, While the KYB AGXs were the top struts nexts to Tokico Illuminas. Is it about the same for prelude, what should I consider? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
Let me see if i can help ypu out a little bit.
1. As for the sway bars yes the will make a diffrence, as for ST i have had them (front and rear) and upgraded to Neuspeed and i am so much happier.
2. And now the strut bars yes they will make a differnce if you get the right bar. Bars like DC sports (i had them front and rear) are not a solid bar and IMO don't give the performance that they should, Now i have also upgraded the front to a Neuspeed bar which is Solid, and i upgraded the rear to a Tanabe.
3. for the lower tie bar i had a DC sports lower rear and the same thing aplies not a solid peice, so i went with a Tanabe front and rear, which a solid.
4. Installs are easy, just a little tricky to get the sway bar into place.
5. Now for the springs. i first had eibach pro-kit and they were great, i had them with the KYB AGX struts and i was NOT happy at all so i then used the pro-kit with the Tokico Illuminas and was OK with them for awhile. Now i had upgrade to a Tein Type-Flex coilover system and EDFC.

Let me know what else i can do for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
what do you think about the strut tower bars that you upgraded too? i am thinking thats going to be the first thing i do to the lude.

what was the first suspension mod you did 01preluder?

what made the biggest difference?

what was the best for the money?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Neuspeed makes the best stuff in my opinion. From what ive herd, stay away from SKunk2 and that crap. Check out kingmotorsports.com, anything there is acceptable, although pricey. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
01preluder said:
Let me see if i can help ypu out a little bit.
1. As for the sway bars yes the will make a diffrence, as for ST i have had them (front and rear) and upgraded to Neuspeed and i am so much happier.
2. And now the strut bars yes they will make a differnce if you get the right bar. Bars like DC sports (i had them front and rear) are not a solid bar and IMO don't give the performance that they should, Now i have also upgraded the front to a Neuspeed bar which is Solid, and i upgraded the rear to a Tanabe.
3. for the lower tie bar i had a DC sports lower rear and the same thing aplies not a solid peice, so i went with a Tanabe front and rear, which a solid.
4. Installs are easy, just a little tricky to get the sway bar into place.
5. Now for the springs. i first had eibach pro-kit and they were great, i had them with the KYB AGX struts and i was NOT happy at all so i then used the pro-kit with the Tokico Illuminas and was OK with them for awhile. Now i had upgrade to a Tein Type-Flex coilover system and EDFC.

Let me know what else i can do for you.
how do the tein flex feel? i was thinking koni with tanabe springs. is that any good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,727 Posts
I personally would either go with tein ss coilover system with the stock uppermounts.

I would also run the H&R sport springs with KYB agx adj shocks. I think both set ups are great to use on the street.....and can work well doing aggressive sport driving.


Your tires are the biggest improvement over stock for handling/acceleration/decelleration. I would buy a nice sticky set....but they won't last long.


I would then buy a rear sway bar....ST.

The strut bars do a little....but I wouldn't spend a lot of money in that department.....and if you are really aggressive at driving. Upgrade your brake fluid and pads......the pads may dust a bit more...but they are worth the extra grip/heat resistance. (Hawk HP+ on all 4 corners).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies guys.
so far...
i've found ST sway bars for $120 a piece(F&R) or $230 for both.
but i've also found the Tanabe front sway bar for $172 which is 30.4mm as opposed to ST's 25.4mm
as well as Progress rear sway for about $210 shipped.

a newbie question... will all five of these parts:
http://store1.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_1576_1584_1653&products_id=5515
http://store1.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_1576_1584_1662&products_id=5543
http://store1.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_1576_1584_1653&products_id=5534
http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=27386
http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-De...ear=1997-2001 All (Exc. SH)&ModelDesc=Prelude

work together or will front and rear ones interfere wiht one another?/

i'm looking for a pretty stiff setup so i know i'll be getting a nuespeed front upper and a tanabe rear tie because i'm gettin good deals. and i'm leaning towards the tanabe front sway a progress rear sway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,727 Posts
Hyper2k said:
thanks for the replies guys.
so far...
i've found ST sway bars for $120 a piece(F&R) or $230 for both.
but i've also found the Tanabe front sway bar for $172 which is 30.4mm as opposed to ST's 25.4mm
as well as Progress rear sway for about $210 shipped.

a newbie question... will all five of these parts:
http://store1.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_1576_1584_1653&products_id=5515
http://store1.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_1576_1584_1662&products_id=5543
http://store1.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_1576_1584_1653&products_id=5534
http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=27386
http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-De...ear=1997-2001 All (Exc. SH)&ModelDesc=Prelude

work together or will front and rear ones interfere wiht one another?/

i'm looking for a pretty stiff setup so i know i'll be getting a nuespeed front upper and a tanabe rear tie because i'm gettin good deals. and i'm leaning towards the tanabe front sway a progress rear sway.
I can sell you my front neuspeed sway bar. 28MM.....that works GREAT with a progress rear sway bar of 27MM.

How about it?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the only neuspeed front sway i saw was a 25mm. why are you selling yours? how much you lookin to get for it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
i am running
Front Neuspeed Upper strut bar
Rear Tanabe Upper Strtu Bar
F & R ST Anti-Sway bar
Tein SS coil over. (at 14 and 12)
Chassis Re-torqued

And it is ver stiff............ :cry


By the way, LOOatme, what tire you got in your sig? that looks super~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ Look like Falken Azeni's.. but i might be wrong

What you mean by "Chassis Re-torqued" ?

How satisfies are you w/your Tein coil overs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
I re-torqued every single bolt on the chassis according to the manual. That really made a huge difference when you drive....

I got some issues on my Tein SS. Something wrong with the adjustable damping. I only can adjust either to the stiffness or softness. No level in between. so.........I don't think SS is quite reliable since I was not the first who got this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,727 Posts
Hyper2k said:
^ Look like Falken Azeni's.. but i might be wrong

What you mean by "Chassis Re-torqued" ?

How satisfies are you w/your Tein coil overs?

They are Yokohama A032R
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,727 Posts
adr said:
i am running
Front Neuspeed Upper strut bar
Rear Tanabe Upper Strtu Bar
F & R ST Anti-Sway bar
Tein SS coil over. (at 14 and 12)
Chassis Re-torqued

And it is ver stiff............ :cry


By the way, LOOatme, what tire you got in your sig? that looks super~

I am running

Tires Wheels
15x7 Team Dynamics Racing wheels (+45MM offset)
225/50/15 Yoko A032R H compound on the street

Brakes
Hawk HP+ Brake Pads (4 corners)
goodridge SS brake lines
ATE Super Blue dot 4 fluid

Suspension
Tein SS coilovers (cornerweighted) dropped 1.3~1.5" Settings (11F 15R)
446F 336R Springs Rates (stock Tein SS is 446F 223R)
Progress Rear Sway Bar (middle adjustment)
Metal End links for rear sway bar
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
LSR Rear Strut Bar
Tanabe Rear Lower Tie Bar

(running no spare tire/jack) If I put that back in...I run adjustment settings (11F 12R)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top