Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some coilover kits like weapon-r's or ground controls that you can use with the factory shocks. it is a good idea to lower your car with existing shocks? compared to a full coilover kits that are upwards of $1000, these kits are extremely cheaper - around $300. how much is it to get these installed? are there hidden costs that i'm not aware of? (alignment and stuff) can anyone recommend a good product that is like the weapon-r's or ground control? does anyone have something like this installed on there car and if so, do they like it? thanks!

· Registered
13,201 Posts
The cheaper set of "coilovers" are not really the racing, handling styel like H&R coilvers that close close to $1000, Ground Controls are very good for that kind, and I know that there are lots of people that have them on this board. As for Weapon-Rs I havent' heard much from them. Also have you thought about Skunk2s? My friend has them and he likes them a lot. Also about riding on your stock shocks, they will be okay for a little while, it is best to get shocks the same time you install the coilovers. Becuase I personally think its a waste of time and money to do it seperatly. Have you thought about which kind of shocks you were planning to get?

Then to alignment, its always best to get this done when you plan to lower your car or whatever. But H&R coilovers and I hear GAB shocks kick ass...never really heard anything from them, but that is one expensive set up, but ground controls with maybe koni yellows would be a good setup.
~Jason

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Any time you lower your car you should get new shocks. The overall performance of your car depends on both of these components. You could ride with your stock shocks for a while, but you aren't going to realize the full potential until you upgrade them as well.

Also, if you are having a shop put coilovers in, you might as well have them put better shocks in as well. They can do both at once which would save you labor in the long run.

I am not sure how much it costs for an install, because I do all my own work on my car. Installing springs or coilovers isn't a difficult task, so I can't imagine it would be that much.

Look at the quality of the product and the spring rates before you buy. Compare them to others and talk to other people that have the same setup that you want. Just remember you get what you pay for. If you shell out 125 bucks for coilovers, you are going to only get 125 dollars in quality.

And as always, anytime you mess with your suspension you need to have your alignmnet checked out by a shop. Depending on how low you go with coilovers or springs you may need a camber kit to prevent premature or uneven tire wear.

· Registered
116 Posts
I used to own a 98 Civic ex, I had a set of Ground contol's which i installed. The Ground Control Coilovers alone are excellent quality coilovers, i feel they are the best, (compared to similar products of course).

Initially, being the impatient s.o.b. that i am, installed the coilovers with my stock shocks, a couple hours later i had a nice lowered whipper. They were fine for about 4 or 5 months lowered 2 inches or so. Eventually the ride quality begins to worsen, until it became just sloppy.

So for round two, i upgraded to a set of koni yellows. I couldn't believe the difference in handling.

Bottom line, if your going to do this type of coilover, its worth your time and money to upgrade the shocks at the same time. The rewards in handiling are far more realized, and it really sucks having to do the same thing 2 times, especially if YOU'RE paying for labor. I recommend koni yellows, or if you perfer a little less expensive, KYB AGX's or GAB's are nice too. You get what you pay for, Do yourself a favor and only pay for ONE alignment instead of two. ;)

· Registered
4,558 Posts
are tien coilovers good? i could get a set for 1000$ flat

· Registered
110 Posts
1200mk said:
are tien coilovers good? i could get a set for 1000$ flat
Hah, are Tein coilovers good?! Tein coilovers are fucking great! Coilover sleeves suck, the only decent brand are the ground controls. Plus when you put those on an aftermarket strut you're getting up there in cost anyways so you might as well just spring for the full coilovers. No spring/coilover sleeve and strut combo will EVER be able to compare to full coilovers. As long as those Teins are for your car it's a decent deal. Is it the Type SS without helper springs? Or are you getting the type HA with helper springs and pillow-ball mount? The type HA you can find on places like groupbuycenter for upwards of $1300, so then you'd be getting a good deal. The type SS you can find for under $1,000, so then it's not a great deal, but still a good one. Get the Teins :D.

· Registered
405 Posts
koni and toykio(sp?) make good shocks too. also check out energy suspension's bushing replacement kits. they maximize the potential of stock components and further amplify the aftermarket ones. i know a guy with a gen 3 gsr with the bushing replacements and skunk2 coilovers and it feels really good when cornering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.