Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im probably going to order H&R Sports & Koni Yellows for my 5th gen and want to know what im looking at for installation charge at a shop or place that does suspension. If you have any experience with this let me know thanks!

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
where do you live?

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
you can install the spring shock combo yourself.

www.ntpog.org has a write up on how to install them.

all you need is a spring compressor. if you need help I can give you my Phone number and you can call me while your doing the install...if you have porblems. its really not all that bad.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
lOOkatme said:
you can install the spring shock combo yourself.

www.ntpog.org has a write up on how to install them.

all you need is a spring compressor. if you need help I can give you my Phone number and you can call me while your doing the install...if you have porblems. its really not all that bad.
thats the one i used... and it was F-R-E-E... and we all know free = good :D

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i used that link too

the only problem with it is that it tells you that you need a pitman arm puller to break apart the ball joint. so i ordered my pitman arm puller and the shit didnt even work...so i used a hammer to tap the ball joint apart...its easy as shit

took me about 10 hours the first time

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
or you can assemble the spring shock half in the rear lower control arm and not even have to dissassemble the upper ball joint from the control arm:)

god its nice knowing little tricks:)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
lOOkatme said:
or you can assemble the spring shock half in the rear lower control arm and not even have to dissassemble the upper ball joint from the control arm:)

god its nice knowing little tricks:)

how the hell do you get to the top spring retainer if you don't remove the upper ball so you can drop the thing out of there? I'm having a hard time visualizing it I guess.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
you can rent pitman arm pullers from local auto parts stores...sometimes for free, you have to put like a 30$ deposit but its returned once you return the item....

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
bob12345 said:
how the hell do you get to the top spring retainer if you don't remove the upper ball so you can drop the thing out of there? I'm having a hard time visualizing it I guess.
first put the shock between the lower control arm.

then put the spring on(may need spring compressor).

then assemble the top portion and slide into shock mount on lower control arm.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
hmm, guess I'd have to see it or something, but I'm not gonna rip the rear end apart again to try it out. I'll just take your word for it. :)

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
bob12345 said:
hmm, guess I'd have to see it or something, but I'm not gonna rip the rear end apart again to try it out. I'll just take your word for it. :)
well you know how you take the shock out. you push the lower control arm down....and the place where the BOLT runs through the lower control arm. you move that to the side and lower the shock/spring assembly down towards the ground and remove it by pulling the assembly out of the wheel well.

well, in order to do that easily, you would have to remove the section where the upper control are is and the pitarm. if not you will have the shock and spring assembly kinda stuck in there.

well you can dissassemble the shock/spring assembly when its half in the wheel well. its kinda just hanging in the suspension components.

pic below of what I am talking about. imagine the pitarm connected to the upper control arm. and just dissassembling the top mount while its "half" in the suspension. once you get the mount and spring off, you can compress the shock piston and push the piston through the body of the car and slide the shock out. do the reverse to install the spring/shock combo.

its really easy!

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
oops forgot the pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
another pic of what I mean. this is where you would take the spring off with the compressor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
sounds cool, wish I'd known that before I went and took it all out ;) oh well, guess that's how you learn. if I ever have to take something out back there I'll keep it in mind though.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
lOOkatme said:
another pic of what I mean. this is where you would take the spring off with the compressor.
ok, looking at this picture, you're saying you can get the spring/strut assembly laying down like that without disconnecting that arm that's hangin out by itself in the pic from the upper control arm?

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
bob12345 said:
ok, looking at this picture, you're saying you can get the spring/strut assembly laying down like that without disconnecting that arm that's hangin out by itself in the pic from the upper control arm?
yea, you need to kinda lay it like that(without disconnecting the arm) and you can dissassemble the shock like that.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
once you've got the thing laying down like that, why not just pull it the rest of the way out of there, and then you can work on it at a table or something instead of sitting on the floor?

I guess if you're at a shop you can get it up were it's just as convenient to work with it there though...

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
bob12345 said:
once you've got the thing laying down like that, why not just pull it the rest of the way out of there, and then you can work on it at a table or something instead of sitting on the floor?

I guess if you're at a shop you can get it up were it's just as convenient to work with it there though...
cause the arm prevents the assembly from coming out, otherwise I would take it out.

thats why you need to disconnect the arm, cause people can't get the assembly out. but getting the arm apart is sometimes a pain in the ass!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts