Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a 97 accord lx, lowered with eibach sportlines and koni reds. Now whenever I go over a bump, I hear what sounds like a cracking sound coming from my front right wheel area. Im pretty sure it's not a ball joint or tie rod, because there is no play in the wheel. Is it possible I have a worn bearing/bushing? I also bottom out alot because the roads are horrendous where I live.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
is it cracking or squeeking??

sometimes its the rubber from the top of the spring that goes inside that hole...if its not there or not on right then the metal spring rubs inside..

bushings can cause it as well....

mine makes a squeeking pop soiund right now, ball joints are bad =)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AccOrDZteCh said:
is it cracking or squeeking??

sometimes its the rubber from the top of the spring that goes inside that hole...if its not there or not on right then the metal spring rubs inside..

bushings can cause it as well....

mine makes a squeeking pop soiund right now, ball joints are bad =)
sounds like more of a cracking noise

·
Registered
160 Posts
It might be the control arm hitting the inside of the fender. Generally happens when there is a camber kit installed. My car does the same thing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have this same problem when its cold out. sounds more liek an old mattress. Ive had the sway bar end links replaced, shocks and springs. I asked them if i need new strut or spring mounts when they replaced them, and the honda dealer said no because they looked good still... Surprise surprise, i still had the squeaking/cracking noise. I checked for loose components under each wheel and everything looks ok. any ideas.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
ball joints on the arm or the nuckle or what ever u call it.... that thing on #16

thats the reason, sometimes..if not its warn struts or rubbin in the springs

mine was worn struts....only when its cold....just like the last dude said...like a matress..

yet urs is new, look at that rubber that goes on top of the spring...it should be snug inside the hole where the spring goes, if its cracked or broken then the spring is rubbing the sides thats ur problem..

this happend to my friend, though tokico said it may happen for some odd reason lolz....

damn there are some probs that cant be solved huh...u contact eibach? damn those are koni reds too!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
damn im stuck for words bro....hehe put some jelly between ur joints lolz....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ball Joint Removal

i also have a banging/rattle noise coming from my front end. my ball joints are torn. i noticed when i did my springs/shocks/camber kit. question for all the gearheads: HOW THE HELL DO THESE THINGS COME OUT????? as far as i know i MUST replace the entire upper control arm, and lower ball joints are available on ebay, so please answer question above about lower ball joints.
HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE LOWER BALL JOINTS?
WHAT TOOLS DO I NEED? (i think i need two different ones)

PLEASE HELP!!!!
......until next time......crack! crack! bang! slam!

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
if you address our members as ricers, what makes you think they'll answer you??? :confused

btw, you need a ball joint press...well, you don't really NEED one, but it makes life a whole lot easier. you can pick one up from autozone.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
the ricer will say to whack the arm next to the ball joint, not the joint itself with a heavy hammer and you don't need a press. Ricer :mad last time I checked I do not have a stupid body kits and my car had no stickers, and my car is lowered and I sure don't bottom out. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
if you address our members as ricers, what makes you think they'll answer you??? :confused

point taken. i modified my reply. where i come from that is not an insult. my deepest apologies. thank you for your input. i will check autozone. keep your fingers crossed! :tu

·
Registered
56 Posts
CV bearings, if they have been in the past, or are starved for grease, they definitely pop and crack. you may notice it more while turning the wheels in one direction or another... i am not sure if this is your problem, but i have been in that boat a few times. if the clicking/popping is consistent no matter where the wheels are facing, then they (bearings) are at the end of their life. if you notice a pop/crack when you hit bumps or other imperfections in the road (as opposed to only when turning), doubt that would be a bearing though. anybody have any theories with the steering rack maybe gettin noisy?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i can tell you that my upper control arm ball joints are fried. i am almost 100% sure. when i put my suspension parts together, i think i remember seeing holes in each of the upper contol arm boots (?). i'm hoping that it's not the lower ball joints....those are a little more difficult to get out. the front ones i can just replace the whole arm, i just hope it wont mess up my alignment too much! it's not the cv joints or outer tie rods. i'm also ruling out the rack because it doesn't do it from that area. it sounds like the upper control arms. i cut out my fenderweels a little so the car doesn't bottom out the supension anymore, but i'm sure it took a toll on the ball joints......now i just need $110.00......

·
Registered
101 Posts
humm

could be the plastic dust boot rubbing on the shock/cartitage . i just replace by struts on the front. had neuspeed with factory shocks with it. car handle like a dream somewhat rough . I put dropzone shocks on the front with same springs and have equal ride smoothness an handling. Still feel the bumps but feels more solid. bushings in the top of the strut mount might be worn out or strut/shock rod bump stop to could be worn out. when i installt he new shocks yesterday the noises i had when away / thats with new bushings on top strut mount. with 17 's

·
Registered
19 Posts
the whole strut and spring assembly on my car is new. what size tires do you have. i had 205/40/17s. they SUCKED! on accords you should get at least 215/45/17s. i have 225/45/17s. they are great. more tire on big wheel=much nicer looking car. that's my opinion, of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts