Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, long time no see everyone. Ok so lets just talk about my new problem... When it is cold out, and i am going over a big bump, the underneath of my car is making a metal clanking noise. i dont think it is my exhaust because i just got it replaced, and it also made the noise before... Also i dont know why or how it could be my struts or shocks because the car drives really smooth and really absorbs the bumps normally. It jsut seems to make it when its really cold out and i hit swers or pot holes.

Ok and this isnt as serious an issue but ill tell you just incase it helps someone determine what my problem may be: when i brake, i feel this shimmy or weird feeling directly under my foot on the drivers side... it isnt my rotors or brake pads; i just had them replaced and checked. Any suggestions if this has something to do with my metal clanking problem?

I am so confused and lets not forget "broke". if its gonna cost a bit to get fixed then i guess ill have to do it but id rather get some of your opinions first seeing as how we usually have a lot of the same problems. Sorry for the long post!:cool:

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. but wheres your webpage?... o and the nosie seems to be comming more from the front although in the past i could almsot swear ive heard it towards the back... but usually i hear it from the front somewhere.

· Registered
766 Posts
you know i had that problem one time...and man it was loud too...i thought my car was falling appart..it was front passenger side all fucked up but the very next day it went away...and havent come back since than ....im puzzled:confused:

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah thats what i figured too bc it did it once and then never again, but now im noticing it has been doing it when it is really cold out... i jsut took it to honda today to get an oil change and i left it overnight so tommroow they can drive it and find out what it is... o and my brake issue they said was probably my rotors... but the steering wheel isnt shaking or anything, so they are gonna check back into that too... ill keep u posted.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no its a bone stock set up... i cant really mod my suspension because i commute on what i think is the bumpiest thruway in ny, for 80 miles a day round trip... i will have a migrane if i had a suspension setup... but i do wish i had one... but the noise is only when its cold, and today the honda dealer said they didnt find a problem or hear anything, so they are obviously def... i dont knwo what else to do. if its the springs what do i do? can i just lubricate them at all or the bushings? ive had bushings lubricated before but is there a way i can check and do them myself?

· Registered
21 Posts
I think this question came up in the old forums. I think it had something to do with the brushings. I don't think it's a cheap fix either. I have the same problem every time i go over a speed bump on a cold morning. It's kinda emberassing (especially at school) but I'm too broke to do anything about it.

· Registered
235 Posts
that is funny..........

You know I have the samen dang problem in the morning when I go over speed bumps the front has a squeak noise, but what is more funny I had my whole front suspension done with new control arms and knuckle! So I'm guessing good old honda did not lubricate my bushings? Damn you pay 1800 in fixing fees per wheel and they are too cheap to lubricate your bushings!

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o my god thats exactly what happens to me. in the morning when i go over speedbumps and its cold, my suspension makes this creeking noise... so basically i jsut pull my hat over my head so noone recognizes me. I actualyl got them lubricated once when it was making the noise real bad, like over every bump... it stopped and rode a hell of a lot better too, but now its only doing it over big bumps, and i supposidly had them lubricated again but it is still making the noise... im just confused... how can i lubricate them myself? and are the bushings under the car or are they the things under the hood at the top of the strut tower?

· Registered
235 Posts
I'm guessing...........

I'm guessing it's the busings inside the upper control movement? Ok so you have the uppe control arm and those are connected to the pivot which is connected to your frame. These have bushings inside them, the pivot that is, and when you over the hump the upper control arm moves up and down from the pivot. Thats my guess. Other than that I think I'm cool with my sqeak cause I live in AZ and it's going to hot soon and it does not do it in the heat as compared in the cold mornings lately 50 degrees. Either way I'm getting ingalls camber kit and I"m going to lubricate them myself and put them on myself and see what happends.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool, do u think u can let me know how u lubricate them? id liek to do it myself bc the honda people charge me like 50 dolalrs each time... also i know this is a dumb question, but i have no idea what a camber kit is...

· Registered
235 Posts
ok I will try............

Ok to lubricate your bushings in your pivot your going to have to locate the screws first. They should be close to your shock tower screws one on each side, but not part of your shock tower. First: your going to have to dislocate your upper control arm from your knuckle and the way to do this is with a two jaw puller. It's basically a two jaw and theres a center screw that applys pressure onto your bolt to pop the upper control arm off from your knuckle. Make sure you have something supporting your knuckle such as a jack under your lower control arm so that when it does pop way from each other your knuckle does not swing out. Second, once your upper control arm is separted from you knuckle you can now proceed to take those two bolts off that hold the pivot onto your from. Third, once you have the pivots off now you can use a wrench to unscrew the upper control arm from your pivots remember how each bolt goes on though so you don't mess up. Ok there I should have told you this a while, but there are two pivots per wheel in front. Now that the upper control is completely dislocated from the pivot and all pieces are separated now you can remove those bushings inside that pivot are and lubricate with teflon or something kind of high pressure grease that witstand pressure inside the pivot. Assembly is the reverse of what I said. Camber kits are just upper control arms that have a wider range of camber adjustment than stock upper control arms. Camber is the negative (wheel going inside fender at a angle) and positive (wheel going outward at a angle) of the wheel angle location.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh wow... i really appreciate yoru help but honestly if i even attempted that i would have to buy a bus pass bc there is no way i can do that and not mess something up... i thought maybe it was jsut a matter of getting a tube of grease and squirting it on some rubber thing... but thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.