Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5th generation and I think my rear passenger shock has busted cause it makes a lot of noises. The bolts on it have gotten loose before, and that's when the noises began to occur. I tried tightening it back, but I don't think there's any hope.

I have KYB adjustible shocks with H&R sports. Do you know if I would be able to use the KYB GR-2 shocks for the rear? I rarely ever adjust my shocks so I don't care if I wouldn't be able to adjust them anymore. I jsut wanna know if those shocks are good enough for a "not so lowered" car. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
KYB GR-2s are pretty weak to tell you the truth
they're pretty much OEM replacement
tockico blues are a tad stronger

what came loose?
the 17mm bolt at the bottom that connects it to the LCA?
or the two 14mm bolts (or rather nuts) that keep the mount in place?

did they come loose after you tightened them? or they're still tight but the noise continues?

if the shock is blown, the looseness is probably what blew it. so you should also make sure it stays in place if you do go with new shocks
i would disassemble it and look for wear

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hyper2k said:
KYB GR-2s are pretty weak to tell you the truth
they're pretty much OEM replacement
tockico blues are a tad stronger

what came loose?
the 17mm bolt at the bottom that connects it to the LCA?
or the two 14mm bolts (or rather nuts) that keep the mount in place?

did they come loose after you tightened them? or they're still tight but the noise continues?

if the shock is blown, the looseness is probably what blew it. so you should also make sure it stays in place if you do go with new shocks
i would disassemble it and look for wear

it's the one 17mm bolt that came loose. i first noticed that it was loose when i heard a bunch of rattling from the loose nuts and stuff from the trunk. when i pulled back the trunk lining to see what was going on, i noticed that the shaft (whatever it is that lets you adjust the shocks) was angled. after tightening it, there's been weird noises so i figured that it was blown.

i guess i should just pick up a new rear agx since the rear ones are sold seperately huh?

MacTown said:
Have you already corrected the shock knock problem?

nope, it still makes weird noises which annoys the hell out of me. especially since i wanna sell the lude. :(

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yeah you need to straighten out whatever worked its way loose. replace the rear struts or whatever, then cure the shock knock, its very quick and easy to do.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Look for bad bushings. They also help to keep the bolt from backing out. Mine did the same thing and i just started buying everything i could find ( i needed everything too ) and it didnt stop till i replaced the strut rod busings ( front ) and the strut bushings in the back. Might wanna just look at them, put some lithium grease on them and see if it helps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so what does "shock knocking" actually sound like? i really have no idea. what's weird is that someone told me that my shocks are actually fine because it's pretty stiff when we push down on the corner where the problem is...this is compared to a car with bad shocks where the car bobbles up and down like a boat in water. could it be stiff because of the springs, or is the shock actually fine?

i know that many ludes have had shock knocking problems with the rear passenger side (same as me), but isn't that with the stock setup?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.