Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have done engine swaps at your house and not paid a shop to do it?
If so, how long did it take and what tools did you use?
I'm about to settle my lawsuit with this girl who hit me a very long time ago; and then after that going back to court with her and filing another suit...so yea... on to what I am doing and what I want to do....

I currently have the 95 Accord Ex and was thinking about doing the JDM H23 DOHC VTEc swap. I understand it is an OBDII motor and if I buy the swap I would buy it complete with everything. ......oh ya and another thing...since the motor and ecu would be OBD II going into an OBDI car.......what kind of issues would I run into?....or could I just wire the motor OBDI.....is this even possible?

Now......... here is stuff I currently have at my disposal:

(2) Jack stands able to lift the car and keep the front end about 2.5-3 ft off the ground.

(1) 5000 lbs floor jack

(1) set of rachets and handtools

(1) complete solder station capable to 80 watts, adjustable

Assuming I have little to no frickin clue about how to do the swap and assuming I get the manuals for BOTH cars.....do you think this is a feasable task or should I just have a shop do all the work?
Would run about $4300-5000 to have a shop do it or if I do it at home, about two to three times as long as the shop would take and save probably a grip of cash.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
have a socal meet at your house w/ some grub and beer and ill come help and im sure others would to haha. some chicks wouldnt hurt either.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
bonestock94 said:
have a socal meet at your house w/ some grub and beer and ill come help and im sure others would to haha. some chicks wouldnt hurt either.
:stupid

pry bars are a swappers best friend :tu

you'll also need a hoist :nod

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
search foo! everything is covered in the H22 faq :D

really you are in Socal and if you don't want to do it, Socal has the most shops doing swaps as compared to the rest of the US, or you could call Ultra to your house

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is there a particular reason you want to go OBD2 to OBD1? Why not get and OBD1 H22 for less and have an easier time doing it? Or you could get a JDM F22b, pay a shop to put it in, and still spend less than you would for a motor alone. Yeah I think you can do it, I did mine, but it aint easy and make sure you have ALL of the parts before you take your car out of commission.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Floyd550 said:
Is there a particular reason you want to go OBD2 to OBD1? Why not get and OBD1 H22 for less and have an easier time doing it? Or you could get a JDM F22b, pay a shop to put it in, and still spend less than you would for a motor alone. Yeah I think you can do it, I did mine, but it aint easy and make sure you have ALL of the parts before you take your car out of commission.
Reason for H23a OBDII VTEC? Yes....... a bit rarer of a swap, 220hp stock, a bit more power over the h22 and problem around this area too is too many people goin h22.......
F22b doesnt put out what I like.......

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
joeyl said:
search foo! everything is covered in the H22 faq :D

really you are in Socal and if you don't want to do it, Socal has the most shops doing swaps as compared to the rest of the US, or you could call Ultra to your house
hahahh the H23 VTEC motor swap was never covered and the times it was pulled up through a search was when people were attemping to swap a h22 head onto a h23a block to make a h23/vtec motor........simliar to ls/vtec.
So basicallly im left to ponder if i can swap the h23 vtec and then convert it to OBDI and how long that would take......................anyone?
Slightly what im hoping for too...... hehe
:clap http://www.evolution-racing.com/temp/videos/evo1.wmv :wow

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:eek
http://www.jspecautosports.com/catalog_product.aspx?prod_id=15

F20b

Specifications
DOHC VTEC 4 Cyl. 16 Val.
• Year: 1997-2001
• HP: [email protected]
• Torque: [email protected]
• Redline: 7200 rpm
• Diplacement: 1998cc
• Compression Ratio: 11.0:1
• Transmission Type: LSD Hydraulic

List Of Parts Included
• Complete Motor
- Block
- Intake Manifold
- Complete Head
- Sensors
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Throttle Body
- Alternator
- Starter
- Ignition Wires
- A/C Compressor
- Power Steering Pump
- Headers

• OBD2 ECU (Computer)

• 5-Speed FWD Hydraulic LSD Transmission
- With Clutch components assembled to the engine

• Intermediate shaft
• Wiring Harness

·
Registered
293 Posts
I understand where you are coming from, but all that trouble for 20 extra hp? An H22 swap is difficult and involving enough, why make it more difficult? If you are set on doing this swap, then I don't know of many people that will be able to help you.

As I have been going back and reading old posts, you seem to be in the same situation as UltraMagnetical was when he did his swap. He did it and then wrote a how to on it, which is what you may end up doing since you seem to be pioneering the H23 swap.

I imagine that the swap will be pretty similar to an H22 one, and for the OBD converting, contact Jason Kohler, www.jkobd.com. He made my OBD harness and he really knows his stuff, he will hook you up better than anyone. Trust me you will be glad you went to him. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I found this swap to be out of the "norm" for people to do which is kind of why I want to do it. It is really gonna show its ugly head in the next month when the lawsuit settles and I find out how much money i have in my hand.
If I have enough I would simply just do the swap and rent a car for like a week.
Its funny you mention allens swap and compare it to mine because I thought kinda the same thing. I mean shit, when we did the turbo on my bro's car NO ONE in so cal would touch it at all. They heard our ideas and goals and just jumped back. hahahhah XS-engineering was the only shop along with AEBS and a couple of machine shops that would even bother attempting the work haha

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yeah BIG pry bars are a must with the mounts.

ive read that alot of people that bought JDM OBD2 motors noticed that they had the same plugs as USDM OBD1. i dont know but look into it, i think JDM OBD2 is equiv to USDM OBD1. ive heard somewhere that JDM motors didnt go JDM OBD2b until like 97 or 98 but dont take my words for it?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
actually, the h23 vtec only has 200hp, and just a hair more torque from the extra displacement.

http://world.honda.com/news/1999/4990121.html
Distinctive features (Accord Wagon)
- New, sporty SiR grade featuring a high performance DOHC VTEC engine

- Newly developed 2.3-liter DOHC VTEC boasting a maximum power of 200PS at 6,800 rpm and maximum torque of 22.5 kgm at 5,300 rpm for powerful yet smooth driving performance.

·
Registered
968 Posts
also i would get some type of drug to take to relax yourself when problems occur. Ha Ha, J/k, but no really. Anyways i would recommend pry bars as well. You might want to pick up a deadblow as well. You will probably get alot of use out of that. I know i did

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So....if all the H23 had was a slight diff in tq...hm..... lol why the shit would i want to do the h23 then. I mean ya the swap difference would be cool but if its all that work for a small gain......wtf..........hahahaha
I know the h22 can be bored out so you think I would see the same output if I bored the H22 out to say..... 2.44 and then installed higher comp pistons with a more aggressive cam profile?

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Just do the h22a man, 200hp stocky I love it and it was $2,700 installed well + 300 for the headers and o2 sensor I needed before the cat.

Forget the h23 man

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wesside said:
Just do the h22a man, 200hp stocky I love it and it was $2,700 installed well + 300 for the headers and o2 sensor I needed before the cat.

Forget the h23 man
The stock h22 isnt enough gut for me stock.
I need more than that.......like a lot more...... and my header whichever motor I choose isnt going to be $300.......shit...i wish it was gonna be that much
I would be doing motor swap and ecu mod, on top of that cam work and valvetrain as well as custom header from smsp and a bored out throttlebody with port and polished intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
The stock h22 isnt enough gut for me stock.
Don't know what you smoking man, 200hp to start with is great, if your not going to pay $300 for a custom header then how u going to pay for cams etc..

A set of skunk2 stage 1 cams cost @ least $500+

My next mod will prob be modding ecu, cam gears, cams or intake manifold.

The h22a is just alot easier to find parts etc.. then the h23 just do more research on it before doing it. U could get a h22a outta sh and get 220hp and apply some boostage :D

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
no need for a custom header....just get a cheapo dc or whatever and modify the collector for $40....that's like less than $300 right there :nod

i paid $300 for my hotshot header though....and damn, that shit was fucking worth it :eek

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
A torque wrench and a cherry picker along with a nice socket set. Allen wrenches and maybe some torx bits, because you never know what you'll run into and I don't know how many emergency trips to the auto parts store i've had to make for a tool we didn't have on projects like that. The wratcheting wrenches are really nice to have for those tight spaces where your socket wrench won't fit. Oh yea I forgot to mention the most important thing, a case of beer! good luck mang.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts