Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well me and my brother are gonna drop about 7k into the civic when we add our taxes to wut we already have. and im asking what u all think we should get, well we have narrowed it down to 4 possible swaps.

go big or go home and we are thinking of the biggest one in our budget, h22 type s... but is it really worth the 1.5k-2k more than just a regular h22(another option)... my cousins all have h22s in their cars, and im very impressed with the outcome, esp the turbo hatch h22..

but unlike thier cars, we have obd 2 and they have never swapped an obd 2 car, and i cant afford to have "complications" with the swap(EGR), because i drive the car about 70 miles everyday to work and i cant miss work.(4 days to do the whole swap)

next would be b18c5.. ofcourse the 96-98 motor to match our obd version. I need torque because we usually have alot of poeple in the car and i lug a big sub box in the back. Will an b18c5 beable to lug 800lbs of flesh plus 200 lbs of sterio equipment ok? ofcourse i like to rev to 9k but i also like to beable to climb hills and not down shift to 3rd like i have to with my y8.

and then there is gsr turbo, cheap greddy turbo for now, but we can always upgrade it later with a bigger turbo and wut not right?

out of the 4 options which would u choose? remember that my car is a 96 with 205k on it, so i drive it alot, and ofcourse i need it to beable to take me to work and back on an everyday basis, so it needs to be reliable and pass smog in NC.

i forgot to mention, the local shop quoted 4.1k for a gsr swap but i can do that myself, he quoted me 4.6k for a h22 swap which i made sure to mention that i need to pass smog.

again we have 7k, but i would like to keep it less than that if i can, because i can use a new laptop...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the thing about this swap is that i'm not too much into racing, so after this swap were just going to basically do bolt ons and leave it at that. The B18c1 is a great motor to start with, but were looking for something with more bang, and i have scrapped the gsr turbo idea because with 7k i cant really get a full kit along with a swap. Umm as of right now im leaning towards h22 because of torque and hp, but im also really interested in the b18c5 also.. damn which one huh? dayem if only i didnt love my car so much, i would sell it and get a 92 cx and then swap the b18c5...

·
Registered
118 Posts
engine choice

I would pick the B18c1 personally, but I think with the cash you will have you can do an H22 with a turbo. If you are set on the H22, which it sounds like you are, you should look into building a turbo setup. You could easily stay under 7k with a decent setup. Cheaper still, you could even rebuild your D16, it would be cheaper than an H22. I used to have a turbo D16, and it was cheap, but fast. I'm building another D16 turbo setup for a friend that was in a similar situation as you. Turbo adds TORQUE to any motor. It's really what your goals are. If you aren't going to be racing and want more torque and HP, slap a turbo on it. You could surpass the H22 swap's torque and HP with a simple turbo setup for less. Just takes some research to make a decision you won't regret. Everyone does have their own preference, and you're just asking for ours. It might not be what you want down the road. Well, good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Fast Forward said:
Yes, the B18C1 is a good choice. Here where i got mine.

www.jdm-motor-engines.com
Damn focker...stop trying to push off that crappy site! They are expensive. If it's your site, then talk to Mike Sho about getting setup in the sponser section.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The B18C5 will get you around town. For daily driving though, the H22A will get you moving from the stoplights a lot easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.