Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm seriously considering dropping a b16a into my vx... what else would i need assuming the engine comes with a tranny, ecu, distributor and starter? i've also heard that i will need engine mounts and a cable to hydro conversion kit. anything else? wheres a good place to go for the mounts and conversion kit? thanks.

· Registered
7 Posts
seeing how you have a 94 vx, and im assuming that you have a 5 speed, there should be no problem. It depends on if you hare putting a 1st gen (91 and below) b16a or a b16a2 which is a (92 and up). If you are installing a 1st gen b16, then you will need a hydro to cable setup and a motor mount kit. Also, since it is a 1st gen, you will have to re wire all your harnesses or better known as plugs to fit the new style of 92+. Another thing, I might need help on this because I am not totally sure, but you made need a different shift linkage than the one you have now. Don't quote me on that though, but find out. That should be all the hard parts for doing that swap.
Now if you are doing a b16a2 (92+) swap, then it should bolt right up. The b16a2 is already a hydro clutch so no worries there, and they already come out of civics, so the mounts should be just fine along with the shift linkage.
Along with the motor, tranny, ecu, distributor, and starter you will need:

intake manifold
exhaust manifold
axles
shift linkage
maybe mounts... not sure
sensors... definitely make sure you have a working tps sensor that is attached to the throttle body, if it is broken, you will need to purchase another so the car will run.
Throttle Body
Fuel Rail & Injectors
Altenator

That should be it. Most of those should be on the motor when it is shipped to you. Also, if you do go the 1st gen b16a a good place to get those parts would be HASport or try these websites
http://www.sohfast.com/index.html
http://www.workstuning.com/swap_parts.htm

Well, I hope that helped. Have fun and play it safe
Cya

· Registered
21 Posts
Dont try and put an SIR1 b16a in your 5th gen civic. You may think your spending less, but after all is said and done, you will have spent the same, if not more, for a motor w/ a crappy cable tranny and 10 less hp.

Here is a quote from another site about sir1 b16as into a 5th gen.

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's do some math:
1st gen swap (engine, tranny, ECU): $1,100-$1,200
HASport mounts w/cable to hydro converter: $600
Axles: $250 (you won't have cores)
Shift linkage: $100-$150
ECU: $300 for re-chipped P28 or P30
Rear mount bracket: $70

$2570 total w/o labor

I've seen complete B16A swaps from Del Sol VTEC cars go for $2,400! That included everything!

What is so cheap about the 1st-gen swaps? Why put a motor that is for the Pre-OBD cars into an OBDI car? I just don't get it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He also forgot the price of the sir2 distributor, that you will need.

Hope this has helped.

· Registered
10 Posts
You might want to rethink about a putting a gen 1 motor into a 94, when I was doing research on which motor to get I did notice that I had to get a motor that was 96 or newer (same as my car) for it to be legal. That may be just because my car is ODBII, with yours being ODBI it may not be an issue, but is something you should check out.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if went for a b16a2 w/ tranny and ecu, what else would i need? could i use any of the parts from my vx (axles? distributor? alternator?). also, where are a few good places to look for one? thanks, i appreciate all the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.