Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
if you have paper work on it i think you will be fine. i don't have paper work on my ls/vtec motor but i have the receipt from the junk yard i purchased it from. i think i will be fine with it. but half the times copz don't know the difference between the motors, but some are pretty smart.

· Registered
1,012 Posts
for one- the chances of them checking under your hood are slim to none, and second, even if they do- as long as your engine bay isn't filled with heroin, you'll be fine. They most likely aren't gonna know what engine should be in yoru car, and even if they do, they're not gonna look for a sticker ... but have paperwork or a reciept or something handy just in case

· Registered
387 Posts
Our Pennsylvania laws are not the same as theirs. PA cops can give 2 shits when it comes to whats under our hoods. We have no emssions laws except in Philly and we can swap in any engine our heart desires.

· Registered
67 Posts
it should never be an issue. they only time they could search your car is if you are being arrested for something, like having a hooker in the trunk (against her will, that is). is your motor thieved or some thing? bad boy. don't give them a reason to look, and it'll never come up.

· Registered
7 Posts
i got pull over and the cop check my engine and gave me a referri ticket. co now i h ave to go and talk to a referri abouth my engine because is not register.
the cop was about to tow my car but i talk to him(kiss ass) and he let me go.
but i still drive the ls/vtec...
i register my motor and show the referri tha it was ok.

· Registered
67 Posts
I don't know what "referri" means. maybe you could enlightem us who aren't familir with that. I'm not a lawyer or a cop, but I'm pretty sure he can't look under your hood unless it was smoking or on fire or something. that's like illegal search, no probable cause. somebody help us out, I would like to know if this whole thing is shady. It sucks for you living in cali. I used to live in HB. I remember I got a ticket for excessive noise for a mustang gt I had with 2 chamber flowmasters. tough town law wise.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I was wondering how they can search your car too. I know in Florida, they can't search your car unless they have probable cause, or you give them permission. If they don't have probable cause, and you deny them permission, they can't legally search your car.

· Registered
2,151 Posts
crx4luke said:
I was wondering how they can search your car too. I know in Florida, they can't search your car unless they have probable cause, or you give them permission. If they don't have probable cause, and you deny them permission, they can't legally search your car.
If u deny them permission theyll just find as many other things to give u a tickett for as they possibly can. Its just better to kiss their ass

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Well i have a lawyer to get my back for any B.S. tickets (my mother is a lawyer, and i'm on to law school after i get my bachelors' degrees). So, they can give me all the B.S.tickets they want if i don't let them search my car, because i'll just go contest them in court.

Edit: there is this thing called the bill of rights, and an illegal search violates them.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

· Registered
1,332 Posts
a "referee" (sp?) is pretty much a smog perfessional......... if you get sent to see this person you would first have to pay big bucks and they search the crap out of the car to make sure everything smog that came on the car is installed on the engine or swapped out engine as well as vacuum lines, EGR valve, oxygen sensor, OBD version, engine bloc year etc....... if you fail well you got to fix what was wrong and go through the whole prodedure again maybe "he'll" find somehting else wrong the second time around........ also cops at least around here have the capabilities to check under your hood without breaking any laws... " suspicion or modified engine" is all they need to give reason to. also cops at least in my town and Im sure most of the populated areas of cali they get educated what engines should be in what cars...... they can even read engine codes......

· Registered
1,080 Posts
"This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding."

That is straight from article VI of the United states constitution. Now it occurs to me that if the constitution, and bill of rights are the supreme law of the land, then we are protected against illegal search and seizure. If they have reason to believe you're running illegal products, and they see anything illegal, then they should be able to search your car. But, if they have no evidence that anything in your car is illegal, and they threaten you in any way to search your car, then they are violating your civil rights as U.S. citizen.

I didn't mean to make this a debate or anything, its just that when people aren't properly informed they usually get screwed over. I also would look into maybe some unconstitutional actions taken by the cops in california, as well as other places.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
so you mean to tell me that $30 (if you pass there is an additional 8.25 for the smog certificate) is a lot of money to you? because that is all it costs to get your car checked out at the REF station.....im BAR certified and i love it

· Registered
1,564 Posts
ok, first off, you need to have a receipt for the motor to show it's not stolen or anything....then after you get the swap done, you need to take it to the Bureau of Automotive Repair....there, i think they give it a visual inspection and smog it.....if it passes everything, they give you a vehicle info label....on it, it has the car model, the new engine code and year, vin, etc. that's the only way to have a true legal swap...

· Registered
1,428 Posts
what they will do is a normal smog check but a little more thorough (sp?)....when i did mine it was a pain in the ass....but i love the feeling that my shit is 100% legal.......make sure that you have the vacume diagram for the integra on the inside of your hood

· Registered
1,266 Posts
Where can I get this B16 diagram? I got a ticket and got sent to the Referee station to get bar certified. I fucking hate California smog laws. Long story short I failed. He said my sensors are not where they're supposed to be. The only reason he knows that is he has a picture of a B16 from Japan and a B16 from a Del Sol here and they don't look the same so all he could tell me is "Make it look like a Del Sol". I'm like that's fucking productive. Anyways I have yet to go back, my mechanic is very helpful and I'm sure he'll find some way to get me to pass, he just needs to get his ass over there and find out what I need to do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.