Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an '00 civic Si. Im really getting tired of hearing my adjustable sway bar links clank around every time i hit a bump. Is there a certain "tightness" they should be or can i just go to a solid link (if there is such a thing)? The sway bar looks stock, the car has aftermarket lower control arms and uni-body support no clue if that matters at all. I'll include a crappy picture, hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Are you 100% positive it is the end links that are clanking? They shouldn't be hitting anything. If any sound would be heard, it would be the squeeking of the polyurethane bushings. The bolts going though the polyurethane bushings should not shake around if you wiggled it with your hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey sorry its taken me so long to repond to you. Been going through a hard time. Ya I got underneath it and looked at everything and its definately the sway bar links. For some reason they are adjustable and metal on metal. I'll include a stock pic i found of them. Why would these be on there? Is there a pair thats solid that won't clank around? Or do i need adjustable ones for the aftermarket control arms?

Attachments

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
i'm not sure why they have an adjustable like on there, it almost looks as though that might be your only option when running aftermarket lower control arms

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
There are two possible things to do.

1. Look at the sway bar, is it centered? If not. tap it with a mallet to center it.
2. Replace the bushings that are holding the sway bar, OEM or polyurethane. The left sway bar mounting bracket shows the bushing in the first photograph you posted.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
There are two possible things to do.

1. Look at the sway bar, is it centered? If not. tap it with a mallet to center it.
2. Replace the bushings that are holding the sway bar, OEM or polyurethane. The left sway bar mounting bracket shows the bushing in the first photograph you posted.
3. revisit why your end links are making noise
:giggle

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Why would these be on there? Is there a pair thats solid that won't clank around? Or do i need adjustable ones for the aftermarket control arms?
If you go to a parts supply website, they'll have OEM sway bar end links that are not adjustable. They won't have spherical bearings, but rubber bushings. If you want to go that way, you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for all your help guys i'll get under it this next weekend (hard to work on cars when you live downtown Indy) and check that all out and I'll most likely go to the stock links just so I don't have any problems with that anymore.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Rubber bushings can be replaced to avoid the noise problems in the vehicles.To replace the sway bar rubber bushings, first the top nut of the sway link must be removed. Next the bottom nut must be removed to withdraw the link. Then the new rubber bush is square cut and inserted flat into the link. The bushings must be greased well with chassis grease. The clamps must be tightened well which is attached with the chassis rail, after the installation.

Anti Vibration Mount

1 - 10 of 10 Posts