Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. got the 98 ex coupe. 17in no-name rims. kyb w/ H&R sports. id like to get some sway bars. are suspension techniques a respectable name brand for sway bars? what size is right for sprited street and very occasional track? i like some oversteer and i dont care for having a car that is rock solid stable. please some comments or your ideas on which sway bars are the best and what sizes.. at the very least maybe ya'll could tell me what sway bars ya'll have and how well you think they are?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
think of it this way. sway bars are metal bars. thats all they are, and all they do is reduce body flex. how much do you wanna pay for brand name metal bars? i took my friends no name sway baRs off him for 40 bux and they work awesome. he even helped me install them. now it were turbochargers or pistons you might wanna go name brand. but for generic/bolt on shit it doesnt really matter.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I have found OEM sway bar performance to be pretty impressive.

You have an Ex which means you have a front sway bar already.....I suggest getting a GSR/Civic Si rear swaybar. Both will bolt on but I think the GSR is 1mm larger (better).

The ITR sway bar will bolt on too..however there have been stories of it being too stiff for the civic subframe and ripping the subframe apart...thats why there are subframe reinforcement plates (look up ASR subframe reinforcement).

For the typical sporty/daily driver an OEM front and rear sway setup along with the typical strut bar setup as well as a nice pair of shocks/springs or full coilovers will be plenty.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well if its possible i dont wanna spend more than 100 dollars for front and rear.. but i'll go up to about 200 if its worth it. i just dont have the slightest clue as how much the size matters. they have some with 22mm and 19mm and i just dont know what to go with.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I'm telling you....scavenge ebay/sho classifieds/HT classifieds for an OEM rear sway.

Your Ex front is 22mm and the rear on the GSR is 14mm I believe, 13mm for the Civic Si.

I picked up my GSR rear sway and LCA's for 100. (make sure to look and see if you have sway bar holes in your rear LCAs...otherwise you will need GSR/Civic Si/aftermarket LCAs) I'm pretty sure that 96-00 Ex's came with holes though...but double check!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if it will make a difference and not rip anything up down there than that sounds convincing enough for me to have an si rear sway bar. Lets say i found a rear 19mm sway bar.. would that give me lots of oversteer/understeer compared to a 13mm si sway bar. by the way, how would i check that my civic has holes for it. do you know if the 98 model is different from the 99-00 si's?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
A 19mm should be fine...but I would be hesitant not only because it would be much more expensive...but because I'd always be freaked out about rippin my subframe.

And I dunno..check for the holes.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
kommon_sense said:
If it isn't made of 6061 or 7071, its not worth anything. The material the bar is made of makes all of the difference. Same way if you use a cheap spoon, it will bend when you try to scoop ice cream. Get a good spoon and it won't...

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.