Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
my first set lasted a year. I think one only burned out cause the shop that did my paint work (and replaced that headlight) touched it. First the lo went out, so then I drove around with highs on till the high on that one burned out. Just bought a new set a few days ago. If these don't last a year, im'a invest in an S2000 projector HID retrofit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I've had sliver stars for a year, and they haven't burnt out, I do 80% of my driving at night
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
phrancis said:
Maybe I believe in Karma, maybe its age and maturity, but if you feel
fine getting away with something you know is wrong then go on and keep
doing it. Alot of returned stuff is repackaged and put back on the shelf
and not returned to the manufacturer or thrown out. So You probably
dont think that multiple small financial losses will be passed on to all
consumers in some way? Even if walmart's insurance pays for it, the cost
of their premiums is still absorbed by consumers. Its gonna trickle
down somewhere. Or howbout if there werent so many riddiculous lawsuits we
all wouldnt have to pay so much for car or medical insurance. I wonder
if that attitude translates into bigger things, like cheating on your
girl (if you have one), or street racing and such....

Im not here to be the morality police, so back to the topic. Ive had one silver star burn out in 6 mo (maybe cause it came from walmart) and the other one is still fine at 1 year. Replaced the burnt one with "street glow" from circuit city and it looks the same and is cheaper.
Well phrancis in the words of the Bloodhound Gang "I appreciate input." but you are right, i know that the cost trickles down to the consumers. But thats fine with me cuz i dont shop at walmart, i only steal from them :hehe J/K yeah you are probably right all that karma stuff and i am going to hell, but i guess thats the price i will have to pay. and yes i do cheat on my girlfriend. when i have one, i also kill small kittens for sport and offer drugs to young children.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
goinferjdm said:
had the silverstars for 6 months and they went out within a week of each other. returning them and gonna try a new kind i saw at walmart.
When do you drive with them on (all the time? nights?)? Do you turn them off and on repeatedly Do you get condensation in your housings or do you have aftermartket headlights? Did you wear a rubber glove or avoid the glass when handling the bulb? These are all common causes for premature bulb burnout. I have had my silverstars in for over a year, and I am very pleased with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
how many precautions does it take to change a light bulb?

street_accord94 said:
When do you drive with them on (all the time? nights?)? Do you turn them off and on repeatedly Do you get condensation in your housings or do you have aftermartket headlights? Did you wear a rubber glove or avoid the glass when handling the bulb? These are all common causes for premature bulb burnout. I have had my silverstars in for over a year, and I am very pleased with them.
i drive with them on at night maybe 20 minutes a day. i turn them on when i need them then off when i dont or when i get out of the car, so no. absolutely no condensation whatsoever in my factory headlights. no i did not wear a rubber glove because i know not to touch the glass which isnt hard at all as long as youre not a retard or epileptic. trust me i thought the silverstars were the greatest thing since sliced bread too until i had them no longer than 6 months and they burned out within 4 days of each other. thats just ridiculous. i also installed silverstar high beams which both still work which tells me the lifespan on these bulbs are horrible. i am gonna just go for the mtecs off ebay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
goinferjdm said:
i drive with them on at night maybe 20 minutes a day. i turn them on when i need them then off when i dont or when i get out of the car, so no. absolutely no condensation whatsoever in my factory headlights. no i did not wear a rubber glove because i know not to touch the glass which isnt hard at all as long as youre not a retard or epileptic. trust me i thought the silverstars were the greatest thing since sliced bread too until i had them no longer than 6 months and they burned out within 4 days of each other. thats just ridiculous. i also installed silverstar high beams which both still work which tells me the lifespan on these bulbs are horrible. i am gonna just go for the mtecs off ebay.
I just wanted to make sure you went through all the right steps with them ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Honestly...not a fan of the SS bulbs. Too pricey for what you get. As everyone mentioned; shady at best when it rains or on newly paved roads.
I've gone through four sets of them this year. Two were good, two were bad. It if makes you sleep better at night to tell everyone here that I didn't install them right...go for it. I wore latex gloves and the bulbs touched nothing but air after they left the box. The fact that you even have to go through all that hassel for such a minor improvement in light quality is absurd. In my opinion, which should be taken with a grain of salt, save up the money you that you would spend on one, two, or three botched installations...and get something better. I'm looking forward to dumping the silverstars for a HID retrofit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,396 Posts
jeeps said:
Honestly...not a fan of the SS bulbs. Too pricey for what you get. As everyone mentioned; shady at best when it rains or on newly paved roads.
I've gone through four sets of them this year. Two were good, two were bad. It if makes you sleep better at night to tell everyone here that I didn't install them right...go for it. I wore latex gloves and the bulbs touched nothing but air after they left the box. The fact that you even have to go through all that hassel for such a minor improvement in light quality is absurd. In my opinion, which should be taken with a grain of salt, save up the money you that you would spend on one, two, or three botched installations...and get something better. I'm looking forward to dumping the silverstars for a HID retrofit.
so, have you bought PIAA's for $80+ a pair before? and others like NOYKA or something..
they may look brighter to eyes, but when it's shinning on the road, they are all about same if not worse then SS.

better luck next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
mad-ass said:
so, have you bought PIAA's for $80+ a pair before? and others like NOYKA or something..
they may look brighter to eyes, but when it's shinning on the road, they are all about same if not worse then SS.

better luck next time.
Not yet. About five months ago I saw some really slick photos of a blue 5th gen with PIAA's. Never got around to purchasing them. Right now I think it will come down to how much I can find some projectors at a junk yard for.
The wife's camry just lost a stock bulb and I'm tempted to get the PIAA's for her car and go from there.

Thanks for the ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
kommon_sense said:
As I understand it, PIAA's are made in the same overseas factory as all of your generic bulbs like apc, and whatever other poop they sale at pepboys. My silverstars are nearly 1yr old now and I still love them.
I made a post a while back about an imperfection on a brand new pair of silverstars that my friend bought, but I don't know if it never loaded or was deleted by a mod...so here it goes again. He doesnt know much at all about cars and asked me to do him a favor and swap the bulbs...when I opened the package, the one bulb had the coating material from the tip. I snapped a picture of it with my camera phone, so the quality isn't the best, but if you look at the red box you will see the two lines of paint on them:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
I am completely satisfied with my silverstars. I put them in when I got my car 7 months ago cuz I hated the oem bulbs. The crisp white light is so nice and bright. I also appear to have gotten a deal for $28 shipped for my pair. I even touched one bulb by accident while squeezing my hand behind the headlight during installation. I would buy another pair if these died tomorrow, but I hope they last a lot longer than that. Now I just have to line up my headlights from the previous owners crooked ways :hehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,396 Posts
KJMagnum said:
I am completely satisfied with my silverstars. I put them in when I got my car 7 months ago cuz I hated the oem bulbs. The crisp white light is so nice and bright. I also appear to have gotten a deal for $28 shipped for my pair. I even touched one bulb by accident while squeezing my hand behind the headlight during installation. I would buy another pair if these died tomorrow, but I hope they last a lot longer than that. Now I just have to line up my headlights from the previous owners crooked ways :hehe.
:number1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
KJMagnum said:
I am completely satisfied with my silverstars. I put them in when I got my car 7 months ago cuz I hated the oem bulbs. The crisp white light is so nice and bright. I also appear to have gotten a deal for $28 shipped for my pair. I even touched one bulb by accident while squeezing my hand behind the headlight during installation. I would buy another pair if these died tomorrow, but I hope they last a lot longer than that. Now I just have to line up my headlights from the previous owners crooked ways :hehe.
I agree, and if you read through all the other posts you can see I definately love my silverstars...I just found it interesting that so many people have problems, and then I saw that bulb with the crap on the glass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
These bulbs are one of the main reasons I'm not getting halo projector headlights. I wouldn't be able to stand the loss of lighting. I guess my only upgrade option is a HID setup...and I'm afraid to deal with those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
I bought a pair from the reviews I read on them, but it did not meet my expectations. They are slightly brighter, but not as bright as I thought they would be. Maybe I am expecting too much for the little amount that I paid :eek:
 
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Top