Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I head that putting in either thicker or thinner tranny oil will be better for the synchros and might keep them from grinding. Does this work for sure?

· Registered
303 Posts
3rd gear grinds @ all rpms on most hondas, my dx does.

Make sure not to use sth. oil because syncs. need friction to work properly

Blaze

· Registered
273 Posts
i had the same problem...repairing the tranny is expensive and now worth it. i blew teh syncros on my first tranny and had it rebuilt and it was EXPENSIVE! just go get another si tranny for $150...easier and cheaper

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you check out my profile...its not the si tranny, its the s1 cable tranny for the b16, which is a lot harder to come by

· Registered
1,893 Posts
umm... on saving your syncro's lemme ask you something...
when you shift from first to second, second to third and so forth does going from the lower gear to the higher gear cause the need for the motor to lower it's rpm by it's self before the clutch catches? almost like a power shift you engage first go to redline, at redline you shift and your rpm's only fall to 7500 and by then the gear-shift is in second and you've put the clutch in. if so then this will beat your syncro's as well. you may want to time your shifting correctly. give your motor time to fall to a lower rpm before you engage the clutch.
just a thought... other than that i'd get a new tranny... you're pretty much screwed if your syncro's are gone, they're hella expensive to replace.

· Registered
161 Posts
5gencivic said:
umm... on saving your syncro's lemme ask you something...
when you shift from first to second, second to third and so forth does going from the lower gear to the higher gear cause the need for the motor to lower it's rpm by it's self before the clutch catches? almost like a power shift you engage first go to redline, at redline you shift and your rpm's only fall to 7500 and by then the gear-shift is in second and you've put the clutch in. if so then this will beat your syncro's as well. you may want to time your shifting correctly. give your motor time to fall to a lower rpm before you engage the clutch.
just a thought... other than that i'd get a new tranny... you're pretty much screwed if your syncro's are gone, they're hella expensive to replace.
I take it having a short shifter will make matters worse.

· Registered
1,893 Posts
cyberrexer said:
I take it having a short shifter will make matters worse.
yeah... having a short shifter won't nessisarily make it worse, how you shift makes it worse. if you talk to a person from Skip Barber they'll tell you that fast shifts aren't the key, shifting smoothly and accurately is the key. having a short shifter speeds things up but you really need the motor to beable to react quicker to the shift. the thing that would really save you would be a really light fly wheel. thus allowing the motor to drop rpm quicker between shifts, putting you closer to the target rpm.

· Registered
1,893 Posts
powershifting, the act of leaving the accelerator floored and not using the clutch while shifting is bad period. it MAY be slightly faster. however your car will hate you later on with many broken parts and extreme wear.
i do not condone powershifting. i condone smoothshifting, the art of paying attention to where your rpm's drop before engaging the clutch, your tranny/motor/clutch/car will love you long time if you do this. it's also a state of higher awareness with your car.
i fucking sound like a goddamn monk... going to do a burn out really quick... brb... :p

· Registered
130 Posts
ok what about the bootleg powershifting, of where you tap the clutch lightly, so that you dont fully powershift, but u still slam on the gas, but with a lightweight flywheel.....

· Registered
1,893 Posts
i'm still against it. you're constantly on the throttle and a slight blip of the clutch isn't going to disengage the thing all the way. plus you aren't allowing the mechanical parts time to react. they're being shoved into action and they don't like that.
i'm sure that if you did it a few times while drag racing it'd be slightly faster and not that harsh on the car, but for every day daily driving i'm way against any kind of power shifting.

personally for any kind of racing i'd be against full powershifting. maybe shifting really fast, but i'm not going to slam into gears with my baby. she means too much to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.