Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I head that putting in either thicker or thinner tranny oil will be better for the synchros and might keep them from grinding. Does this work for sure?

·
Registered
505 Posts
did you change your transmission fluid at all??? how often did you change the fluid??? if you drive push your car eveyday you should change the fluid around 15-20k mi. and make sure you use the Honda MTF. I hear and see lots of people going back to OEM MTF from Redline and some other MTF fluid companies.:)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well...the tranny was grinding since i got the swap. about 10k miles ago. It only grinds when i'm @ more than 6500 revs in 2nd going to 3rd. But i'm gonna try and get a full tune up (including a tranny flush) w/ honda fluid. Honda fluid only comes in one viscosity right?

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
I had the same problem it turned out to be the shift linkage I was using a modified one “hack job” so anyway I replaced it with a Hasport one and problem gone.

Anyway it may or may not be that but it’s a cheaper place to start then a new tranny

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah..i'm really thinking that its the hcp shift linkage i have. I'd rather go w/ a more reputable company like hasport.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same problem where 3rd would grind at high rev shifts..

I figured to change over the tranny fluid to 20/50 and it still did the same thing until after driving it for a couple weeks - then it cleared w/out any more difficulty.

I also had the same problem with 5th (at any rpm).. which also got better after the switch and driving it for a while.. yet still does w/ higher rpm quick shifting..

my .02

:)

seeya -

Jason

·
Registered
505 Posts
if it has been doing since 10k mi ago, then your third gear should be messed up by now...:( sorry to say... you should change fluid and maybe considering chnaging the shift linkage, but i doubt that it'll make it better after 10k...:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts