Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a few bottles of Castrol Synthetic Blend motor oil to do my regular change with.

I know the pros/cons of the reg. vs. synth debate, but does anybody have any strong opinions on the blend forumlas? :confused

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like synthetic and i like conventional. just depends on the car imo. I ran syntecblend in my old motor for ever!! i loved it....castrol syntec. i ran a heavier weight tho so not to burn as much oil.....but when i switched to a lighter weight i still burned less.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in a warm weather area & have a high mileage car but still run a synthetic motor oil w/ no problems. (Knock on wood!)

I started using a heavier weight oil as you have & found my oil consumption is slightly down too. I grabbed the synth blend on accident. (I thought it was Castrol Synthetic but now I see the bottle design is slightly different.) Since I've brought it home I was curious to give it a try. Glad you had good experiences w/ it. It makes me feel much better!:tu

·
Registered
32 Posts
Synthetic blends

The problem with synthetic blends, is that I'm pretty sure castrol doesn't say on the bottle how much really is synthetic. I don't think your really getting much benifit over regular oil. Castrol gtx is good stuff and if i remeber correctly comes form a group 3 base stock( the higher the number the higher quality of refinement of the oil ), whereas mobil drive clean is a group 4 base stock. If you have good results with the syentec blend then why change. Just thought I'd throw that out to you.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
read the link in my sig.... synthetic blends are better than just regular conventional, but I don't think that there is any requirements on just how much synthetic they have to blend in... If they have 99% conventional and 1% synthetic... Guess what, its still a blend...

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
I bought a few bottles of Castrol Synthetic Blend motor oil to do my regular change with.

I know the pros/cons of the reg. vs. synth debate, but does anybody have any strong opinions on the blend forumlas? :confused
all i know is that my owners manual says no regular oil at all, not even blends

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
castrol syntec blend has even outdone some other full synthetics in testing...ive used in 2 cars of mine over the past 5 years...ive always been happy with it, its a great product and if i pull a valve cover it speaks for itself

·
Registered
89 Posts
i use mobil 1 full synthetic and it works great imo. my friend has the same motor but he runs synthetic blend and he loves it. basically its a preference unless its specified by the manufacturer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts