Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to install my 5" phantom tach in my air vent on the leftside of my dash. How would I go about doing this? Would I just take the air vent and round it out to where I can just set the tach in there? Where would I run the wires to? :confused:

· Registered
278 Posts
go to a car sterio store they can put it wherever you want it.
i wouldnt put it in the vent but the Subaru WRX has a vent gauge kit. so if thats where you want it go for it

· Registered
836 Posts
it's probably a lot of custom work. I would close off that part of the heat vent so you dont have all the heat blowing ont he back of the taach i can't imagine that being good for it. I would probably cut a circle out of the excisting vent as long as the 5'' hole would remove the entire vent. If not i might just custom make something out of plastic.

· Registered
298 Posts
Why the heck do you need a 5" tach anyway?

1st. It makes it look like you are trying to be like the muscle car crowd that use those big tachs.

2nd. If you're driving hard, you shouldn't be looking at a tach.

3rd. You should know the your car well enough that you don't need a tach.

Boost gauges, a/f meter gauges, etc. I can understand, but this fascination with the huge tach's I just don't get.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel you. You guys are right. I bought JDM SI-R cluster that has a tach in it but have this $200 tach that I want to do something with. I'll probably just sell it LOL. I have air-fuel voltmeter pods that I am installing on the A-pillar. I don't really want that tach anymore.

· Registered
298 Posts
Wow. You took that a lot better than I thought you would.

Rereading my post, I was a bit harsher than I wanted to be.

Really, though, with the $200 for the tach, and the $$$$ you'd have had to spend to get it put in nice and clean and custom you could do a lot of useful work on your car.

Although, I like your idea of putting it in the vent than the way most guys just shove it up on the dash, unfortunately, it's still pointless then, because it's right back down to the height level of the normal tach, so it doesn't really help visibility of the tach at all.

· Registered
185 Posts
I've seen it done before.. Go to ClubSi.com and ask in the tips&tricks forum. It looks pretty good.

Mojo-jojo - Some people like the style of the big tachs.
Some people have different engines than stock and since stock tachs can be inacurate by a couple hundred RPM, they may want the acuracy of an aftermarket one..
Some people just want the shift light, and as stupid as it may seem, some 5" tachs with a light are cheaper than buying the atuometer shift light and all the BS accessories that you need for it.
You slam 5" tachs and then you say get something useful like a air - fuel guage?! HAHAHA...

· Registered
198 Posts
Like other people have said that, you really don't need a tach.
1. most driving is felt
2. what is a few 100 RPM's when you have a stock tach (if apply)
What he was saying about a boost gauge, air fuel gauge, oil pressure. They are helpful tools to tune the car without having to go on a dyno, when you don't have one.

Oh and yeah I thought he would take it alot worse too, but at least he was thinking original.

· Registered
11 Posts
Mojo-Jojo said:
Why the heck do you need a 5" tach anyway?

1st. It makes it look like you are trying to be like the muscle car crowd that use those big tachs.

2nd. If you're driving hard, you shouldn't be looking at a tach.

3rd. You should know the your car well enough that you don't need a tach.

Boost gauges, a/f meter gauges, etc. I can understand, but this fascination with the huge tach's I just don't get.
you sir, are an asshole. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.