Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what usually makes the tach jump around all funny?and wheres the wire for it?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jlicrx said:
jumping tach is sometimes caused by a faulty igniter - the tach signal wire is the blue wire in the 2-wire connector at the distributor
whats an igniter???i have had the engine just shut down on me, so maybe thats related???

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it replacable? lik an outa parts store???im sure its whats wrong cus this has been going on for a long time with the tach and the car has just died on me 2 times outa the blue and then started up a few minutes later

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jlicrx said:
the igniter is in the distributor and acts as a switch to control current flow through the coil - bad igniter will cause car to just die

can i switch mine with the one inside the jdm zc distributor, it looks the same but the distributors are diff... the jdm/ si eqiv has 2 extra wires and wont run on my ecu, so i just wanna switch em, its gonna be hard to tell it solves the prob cus the car rarely suts down, and only shudders now and then

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i switched em seems ok but now i have white foamy airbubbles in my radiator, is this a bad head gasket??

·
Registered
401 Posts

Just swap the coil. Notorious weak link in the Honda. The first indication your coil is bad is the tach jumping. Bubbles can be from everything from a leaky hoseclamp to a blown headgasket or just simply you had the radiator cap off and the coolant circulating churns around quickly creating your bubbles. Check your coolant level - run it - let it cool - check the level again. If there is anything gone, your hgasket may be suspect. You will find that a blown intake gasket will present some of the same symptoms as a headgasket.
HENRY

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
festivagt said:
Just swap the coil. Notorious weak link in the Honda. The first indication your coil is bad is the tach jumping. Bubbles can be from everything from a leaky hoseclamp to a blown headgasket or just simply you had the radiator cap off and the coolant circulating churns around quickly creating your bubbles. Check your coolant level - run it - let it cool - check the level again. If there is anything gone, your hgasket may be suspect. You will find that a blown intake gasket will present some of the same symptoms as a headgasket.hows that with the intake gasket, u might be onto sumthing here u do mean where it bolts to the head right, hows that gonna put air a white foam in the system, it comes out of the bleeder valve on the top hose and with the raidiator cap off, there shouldnt be air in it though

HENRY
how is that with the intake gasket, u might be onto sumthing here u do mean where it bolts to the head right, hows that gonna put air a white foam in the system, it comes out of the bleeder valve on the top hose and with the raidiator cap off, there shouldnt be air in it though. i gotta know for sure cus i gotta pull the motor to exchange it from where i bought it and id feel dumb if its fine and i reswap it with another motor!!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tach no longer jumps so problem has been solved i just hope my coil isnt bad too, so im driving around with a spare dizzy in my trunk incase my car shuts down again and wont start, ill just switch coils on the spot :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.