Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C hasn't been working so I took my car over to Pep Boys to get it recharged. Turns out my compressor is toasted-- $965.65 parts and labor. So I'm not doing that. I can get a new compressor online for about $150 w/ shipping. Can I install it myself? How hard would this be, and can anyone point me to some step-by-step directions? Thanks!

BTW I have a '95 Integra

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would a helms manual for the '94 be ok?

Edit
The '94 manual does not show how to replace the entire compressor. It only shows how to do a clutch overhaul, a relief valve replacement, and a/c compressor belt replacement/adjustment.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
whered you find that? because the manuals are shop manuals that show every aspect of the car, from how to do an oil change to engine overhauling to interior trim. my manual is 2 books, over 1000 pages, showing how to do everything for your car, including a/c. maybe you have the wrong manual?
quikflip

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think it's something a "beginner" should try. I replaced the compressor from a GMC Senoma at school a few weeks ago, BUT I had my instructor supervising us. Things you will have to deal with (well what I can remember): AC belt (self adjusting if you're lucky), potentially harmful gases under compression, and you need to vacuum out all the refrigerant first. and the location location location of the compressor. Luckily for us we had all the room in the world to remove it cuz it was at the very top. My Accord's compressor is near the bottom so you'd have to lift the car up to be able to work with it.

Since you're in a bind with money try taking it to a automotive technology teaching facility. They don't charge, but they might ask for a donation.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
To do it legally and correctly you need a machine that will take your refrigerant out and that will also put a vaccum on the system for 15mins(its been so long that might be wrong) before you put the refridgeant back in.
To do it the ******* way you will have to release the pressure from the system, with means you can freeze your hand, and it is also a huge fine if the wrong person sees you doing it. Then you have to buy the correct amount of refridgerant (probably right around 2lbs) and put that back in.
Asfar as the rest of it goes, its pretty much your typical take this bolt out here take that bolt out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm just going to get it done someplace. I don't want to get fined and I don't have the right equipment to do it the right way.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
on the 3 hondas i owneed i removed all AC componenents myself granted i was a tech...... i never drained them into the atmosphsere before removing them *hint hint after that just a few bolts.............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.