1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taku: Indy is a special place for me.

27/06/2006
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Takuma Sato will return to the scene of his best F1 result to date this weekend, when F1 rolls up at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the United States Grand Prix, the latest event on the F1 schedule.

Taku finished third at the Brickyard in 2004 and as such it is no surprise that he likes racing there.

"Indy is a special place for me because I had the best race of my F1 career there in 2004 when I achieved my first podium finish," said the Super Aguri pilot.

"It is an historic place for motor racing and the fans are always very supportive. We could not race there last year, so for me the most recent memories from Indy are from 2004."

Indy itself is the second oldest motor-racing venue in the F1 calendar and the 4.192km circuit winds its way through the infield of the famous Indianapolis Oval. Taku is a fan of the track: "The circuit is very unique as it uses the oval banking area with a long straight, but in contrast, the infield features many slow corners. I like the atmosphere at the two North American races, so I am very much looking forward to returning to Indy this week."

The Oxfordshire based squad will enjoy some additional support this weekend too, as Indianapolis is the home of Aguri Suzuki's IRL team, 'Super Aguri Fernadez Racing' and Japanese driver Kosuke Matsuura. The team is currently running in 11th position in the Indy Car Series and will be racing in Kansas over the US GP weekend. Suzuki meanwhile, while disappointed neither of his drivers' made it to the finish on Sunday in Montreal, is eager for them to bounce back.

"I'm very happy to be returning to Indianapolis because my other category team is based there in the Indy Car Series," added AS. "Indy is very special, but difficult circuit. The layout features high and low speed corners and the F1 track uses part of the Oval banking, which makes it an interesting circuit for F1 drivers. Following a challenging weekend in Canada, I am hoping that we can keep the team's momentum and high spirits as we go to Indianapolis this week."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.