Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flexy flexy! The rules call for non-flexible wings.

Teams Await FIA Clarification on Ferrari Wing

Written by: Adam Cooper

Sepang, Malaysia – 3/20/2006

Eight Formula 1 teams – everyone except Ferrari allies Red Bull and Toro Rosso – presented an unprecedented letter to the FIA indicating their disquiet at the Scuderia's flexible front wings, and threatened a protest after the race in Malaysia this weekend.

During race day at Sepang, FIA delegate Charlie Whiting met with the teams and discussed their concerns, and also had contact with Ferrari. The Scuderia's technical director, Ross Brawn met with Renault's Pat Symonds, McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh and Honda's Geoff Willis to discuss the situation.

Brawn initially refused to concede that there was a problem with Ferrari’s interpretation of the rules. After Ferrari principal Jean Todt joined the meeting, a compromise was reached. Brawn reportedly had a dossier of information on wing behavior on other cars.

For the time, the teams have agreed not to protest while they await the FIA's clarification on the legality of Ferrari's wing ahead of the Australian GP in two weeks's time.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
hey shiba, so they are complaining that the wing on the ferrari wing can flex, now they are refering to the rear wing right? what advantage does a flexing wing give over a none flexing?

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boski said:
hey shiba, so they are complaining that the wing on the ferrari wing can flex, now they are refering to the rear wing right? what advantage does a flexing wing give over a none flexing?
And front wing too I believe.

My understanding is that the flexible wings can potentially give better downforce characteristics in high G corners.

If I can find a good article explaining it better then that I'll most def. post it up. ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
the point of the wing flexing is it lays down when the car is at high speeds, reducing the drag and allowing the car to go faster in the straights. when the car brakes for a bend the wing flexes back up and increases the downforce for slow corners.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If anyone watched the race they would have noticed that the front wing for the ferrari was "moving"

heres a pic

Basically on the straights the wing would move slightly away from the nose, but in the corners the wing would reconnect with the nose. So this can be classified as a "moving" areo part.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
so let me make sure i got the pyhsics right...at high speed the wing moves away or down out of the air stream...where and when it is actually doing its job, then when the car slows it pops back up trying to produce downforce. but i guess what i'm saying at what speed is all this taking place? at 60mph the wing is not really producing that much downforce, but at say 160mph the wing is...but really isn't because its moved out and way from the air stream. i guess i'm looking for "move down speed" a mph where the wing starts to move.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ferrari I guess, would claim that at no speeds was their wings meant to flex LOL! :ninja :lol2

That's not a good answer... sorry. I'll look around a bit for a better answer. :eek:

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not an exact answer, but combined with the article on acoustic analysis, it's pretty interesting how clever the engineers can be.

MARCH 21, 2006

Wings and things

The negotiations in the paddock in Malaysia last weekend over the question of what is legal and what is not legal was an unusual thing for Formula 1. Rather than washing its dirty linen in public, as has been the fashion for many years, the F1 teams and the FIA managed to sort out the problem without having press conferences and dragging the sport through the mud.

It seems, therefore, that lessons have been learned since Imola and Indianapolis last year. The final details of who is having to change what have also been nicely fudged so that no single team is seen as being the bad guy. Renault engineer Pat Symonds said after Bahrain that he did not believe that the Ferraris were running legal system but now there is talk that GPMA hardliners Mercedes-Benz and BMW have also been told to make changes. There was no talk of that in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday when eight of the 11 teams warned the FIA stewards that trouble was coming if action was not taken.

Our spies tell us that there was a compelling case against one team with clever evidence being put forward to prove the case. It seems that engineers conducted acoustic analysis of recordings made of the various engines at the track. This gave them the revs being produced by each engine and from that calculations could then be made to establish a map of the speeds possible given the aerodynamics of each car. It seems that these maps were then compared and there was a clear increase in speed for one particular car when it reached a certain velocity. It is claimed that the only possible explanation of this was that something must have changed in the aerodynamic set-up to have allowed the car to move through the air more quickly when the engine could no longer accelerate to higher speeds.

Measuring movement of wings on cars that are on the move is not apparently impossible.

Getting the extra speed apparently is.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
Our spies tell us that there was a compelling case against one team with clever evidence being put forward to prove the case. It seems that engineers conducted acoustic analysis of recordings made of the various engines at the track. This gave them the revs being produced by each engine and from that calculations could then be made to establish a map of the speeds possible given the aerodynamics of each car. It seems that these maps were then compared and there was a clear increase in speed for one particular car when it reached a certain velocity. It is claimed that the only possible explanation of this was that something must have changed in the aerodynamic set-up to have allowed the car to move through the air more quickly when the engine could no longer accelerate to higher speeds.

Measuring movement of wings on cars that are on the move is not apparently impossible.

Getting the extra speed apparently is.
thats some crazy shit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.