Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i always hear koni yellows are this shiz.. i also hear coilover is always better. i also hear that tein is awesome as well. price wise, the koni yellows+H&R sports isnt that off from the Tein Basics for my 98ex coupe.

Im leaning toward the Teins...

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
i've also had the koni yellows, but with h&r race springs. decent setup for the weekend autoxer and not that bad for daily driving. but if i were to do it again i would probably get the sports since they dont lower that much.

the only thing that the teins have on the yellows is that they can easily be adjusted, lower or higher, depending on your liking. however most people never touch them once they install them since you have to get an alignment everytime you mess with them.

the yellows are also height adjustable but its not as easy as the teins.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
teins are awesome....BUT the basics are not that great. you're much better off w/ the h&r + koni yellow

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
SupaSlowEx said:
Im leaning toward the Teins...
Please give me one reason besides JDM hype that you are thinking this way.

I can't think of one area where Koni/GC ISN'T just equal, but clearly superior.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
White98LS said:
Please give me one reason besides JDM hype that you are thinking this way.

I can't think of one area where Koni/GC ISN'T just equal, but clearly superior.
im not sayin anything about the GC coilever sleeves.. but Koni/GC = more money than teins.. i just really want something that is easily height adjustable, and ive heard the teins are just that.. if the konis are very easily adjustable then thats even better because thats even still cheaper.
yellows are probably gonna cost me like 500-550..
the h&r sports 150.the GC like 240
koni/H&R Total= lets say 650.

koni/GC Total= 740

the Tein Basics = 700..
they are all around the same price and i was just asking cause either way i go its all a lot of money to me. and i wasnt even considering the GC in the first place because from what ive read they seem to generally have a higher spring rate and i dont want a rough ride.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
but for $40 more you get koni yellow adjustability. the gc's are just as easy for height adjustment.

there are much superior teins than a gc/koni setup, but look to spend hundreds more....and it's DEFINATELY not the tein basic or SS

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
SupaSlowEx said:
they are all around the same price and i was just asking cause either way i go its all a lot of money to me. and i wasnt even considering the GC in the first place because from what ive read they seem to generally have a higher spring rate and i dont want a rough ride.
I still just don't know why you're considering the Basics... I know how money can be tight, but $40 is nothing when you're spending $700. And again, the GC/Konis are superior in every way, including ease of adjustment.

You also say the GCs are too stiff... well default rates for the Tein Basics are 448/224 and for the GCs are something like 380/250. You can also readily find used sets of softer springs for the GCs for ~$50 shipped per pair. Hell, I'll sell you my 250's for $40 shipped no problem. Good luck swapping springs so easily and cheaply with anything made by Tein.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
i dunno if it's any easier. i tink it's the same amount of working swapping springs on the teins and g/c's.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
i dunno if it's any easier. i tink it's the same amount of working swapping springs on the teins and g/c's.
I meant ease of finding the right springs.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
White98LS said:
.. well default rates for the Tein Basics are 448/224 and for the GCs are something like 380/250. You can also readily find used sets of softer springs for the GCs for ~$50 shipped per pair. Hell, I'll sell you my 250's for $40 shipped no problem.
i didnt know the spring rates for either. i do google searches and i guess im not patient enough to look through and find the rates.. anyway, those are both too rough sounding. i work 6/7 days, i dont have time to autoX as much as you do so i just wanna make sure i dont go too rough. i originally had my mind set on h&r w/konis anyways, i just like to know alternatives as well. And Ultra, i looked at the swift springs and yeah they might be awesome, but at 300 thats a little pricey for this waiter :(
i had h&r sports before w/kyb gr-2.. and they were great,but i got paranoid at one point and thought i was going broke and sold them to a buddy of mine(along with other stuff). Now im fine and thats why i wanted to see the alternatives this time before buying again.. seriously though, thank you for all the info, its really appreciated.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
if you're on a budget, then stay away from modifications. go finish school and start a real carreer.

there's three things to tuning: power price and reliability...you're only allowed to have two.

or if you're really on a budget, then drop $300 into driving school and then you can be faster by full seconds instead of mere tenths that boltons or suspension upgrades without proper training will yield.

www.autocross.com/evolution

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, i always have wanted to go to a driving course, that evolution one for 250 sounds great! im already pushin the money aside for it :clap .. but yeah, right now with my stock suspension, the rear struts are old and everything sags and i just hate it. im gonna end up getting new springs/shocks no matter what :D

by the way, im just getting into my senior yr of highschool.. i am planning on a real career though, i hate working all the time for nothing :mad

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
i'm sorry, i don't find highschool an excuse for anything. by my junior year of high school i had a high paying internship at the engineering firm i am now an owner of....oh btw, i'm 23 rite now....and no, i'm not a genious. i averaged 3.0 gpa in highschool and 2.4 in college. i just played the game right.

i know highschool kids who make $1k-$2k every month in primerica too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UltraMagneticAL said:
i'm sorry, i don't find highschool an excuse for anything. by my junior year of high school i had a high paying internship at the engineering firm i am now an owner of....oh btw, i'm 23 rite now....and no, i'm not a genious. i averaged 3.0 gpa in highschool and 2.4 in college. i just played the game right.

i know highschool kids who make $1k-$2k every month in primerica too.
yo man, im not using highschool as an excuse.. i only said that because you said finish school and get a real career and im tryin to say that i havent even started college. Another thing is that yeah, i dont make little money, but i still run off my parent's insurance and my mom/dad have 3 new cars, plus my sister has an 05 rx-8 and runs with their insurance as well, and they have had their accidents/tickets and whatnot.. plus my dad has a lot of real estate so my insurance costs me around 4.7k every 6months with top coverage. THAT is an excuse..or better yet, a reason.

That is great that you got a high paying internship, and honestly, that is great to hear that you at 23 own it rather than some 65+yr old already rich dude who doesnt need the extra money., but dont forget that you got lucky, and please dont try to belittle me because of my options that are at hand..i respect your word and almost everybody elses here that deserves it but you really dont have to say all that about how you just play the game right as if i dont.. i have a few acres of land in GA that i hope to profit from and thats my game cause thats all i can do.. again, i really do appreciate all the input from you guys, and yall do help a lot more than anybody i know personally, i just wish i could return the favor some day.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I think that what ultra was trying to say was that even if you are on a budget, save your money until you can do things correctly.

Unfortunately a lot of the visitors to the forum pick poor parts (that typically *decrease* performance or reliability) because they are on a budget instead of saving their money until they can get proper parts for the job.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
kommon_sense said:
I think that what ultra was trying to say was that even if you are on a budget, save your money until you can do things correctly.

Unfortunately a lot of the visitors to the forum pick poor parts (that typically *decrease* performance or reliability) because they are on a budget instead of saving their money until they can get proper parts for the job.
yup saving and doing it right the first time, saves money in the long run.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
98civcEK said:
yup saving and doing it right the first time, saves money in the long run.
thats true. i learned the hard way and its not fun.

Reactions: SupaSlowEx
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.