Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to an increase of interest in these coilovers..I've decided to do my own little FAQ on the Tein SS
Taken from Tein's website...heres a description of the SS along with the picture from the site, I will add better pictures of my SS's later on when I have time.
TEIN has developed advanced technology to design the shell case and stroke to bring out the full potential of your vehicle.
These features of the TEIN Super Street Damper kit were designed with greater performance to satisfy all your driving demands. This high performance damper can be used for weekend racing and/or daily driving.
The discomfort caused by uneven roads or bumps are eliminated on daily street use. For race use, the ride height adjustable system enables you to adjust ride height and 16 levels of damping force.
In other words, you can set your vehicle to meet all situations!

* High performance and cost effective.

* 16 levels of damping force adjustment (compression and rebound together).
* Ride height adjustable.
* New paint coating for rust prevention.
* Pillow ball mounts are optional (on certain applications).
* Exclusive design for USA vehicle specifications (only available for the U.S.A Market).
* Available for overhaul.

So whats the springrate for the SS?
It depends, but heres a breakdown of the springrates for the more popular Honda/Acuras
kgf/mm,lbs/in
Front Rears
Acura Integra Da9 9/504 5/280
Acura Integra DC2 8/448 6/336
Acura RSX DC5 8/448 10/559
Honda Accord CB7 6/336 5/280
Honda Accord CD5/7 6/336 4/224
Honda Civic EF9 8/448 4/224
Honda Civic ED8/9 8/448 4/224
Honda Civic EH2/3 7/392 3/168
Honda Del Sol EG1 7/392 3/168
Honda Civic EM1/EJ6/7/8 8/448 4/224
Honda Prelude BB1/2 8/488 4/224
Honda Prelude BB6 8/448 4/224

What happens if you feel that the setup is not stiff enough, is there anyway you can use a higher spring rate spring for the dampers?
Yes, Tein does offer higher spring rate springs, but the highest spring rate you can go depends on the shock, for the RSX you can use springs up to 10/14k vs the original 8/10k springrate. When using a spring harder than the standard set, adjust at a harder setting with the dampers. With a different springrate, you may need to readjust the ride height of the vechicle. When using a spring rate lower than the standard spring rate, the spring seat may require adjustment.

Is the EDFC compatible with my Tein SS?
It all depends on whether the car has enough clearance for the motor...on some cars the motor will fit in the front but not in the rears, some cars are vice versa. The Honda S2000 cannot support a motor in the front nor the rear due to space restrictions, the Honda Del Sol can use the EDFC with the Tein Flex's, but only on the rears. Best to see if your car/Teins is compatible with the EDFC you should check out either http://w w w . t e i n . c o m /edfc-fit.html or send them an email at [email protected] t e i n . c o m.

Whats the warranty on these things?
The Tein's are warrantied, to be free of defects until you actually put them onto your car. Once you install them, there is no warranty left, if it rusts, you must replace them yourelves, if the shock blows, you must replace them yourselves.

So what does happen when the shock blows? Do I have to pay 300$ or whatever is it for a whole new one?
No, the best part about Tein is most of their coilover/dampers are available for overhaul. The last time I checked, it was 75$ per coilover to have them reserviced/revalved. Some may take longer to service longer than others since some, like the CS for example cannot be reserviced in the US so they must be sent to Japan for reservicing which may take longer and might be more costly.

I hear Tein's rust? Is that true?
For the older models it is, but with the newer models tein has been nice enough to finally coat their coilovers with a paint covering that protects the units from rusting, however, it is suggested that you periodically clean them, especially the threads. It has been suggested in the past to use WD40 on the threads to keep them from rusting. The cases of rust have been over-exaggerated, there have only been a handfull of people that have experienced rusting with their coilovers and they usually lived in areas of harsher climates, have much colder winters than most areas (example.. Canada, East Coast).

How do you adjust the damping?
When adjusting, you only use levels 1-16, exceeding 16 may damage the damper, so what the hell does that mean? Basically once you get your coilover, turn the adjustment knob(located at the top of the piston rod) FULL CLOCKWISE until it stops, when you stop that means you are at 16. Then turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE to soften the dampers. So for example you want 8/8, all you gotta do is turn the fronts and the rears Full Clockwise, then turn the adjustment knob COUNTERCLOCKWISE 8 clicks.

What is the best setting to set your stiffness at?
I think it all depends on the driver and what kind of application you plan on doing. Just because the coilovers are set at full stiff does not mean that it will handle better. The best part of the Teins is adjustabilty, how you can fine tune the dampers/coilovers to your setup....in my setup I've found my car to handle the best when I have it setup at 12/14...some have found it better on 8/8...some have found it the best at full stiff, like I said, it depends on your car, what you have done to it, and what you like the best...some might even prefer setting it at 2/8...or 10/2....

What is an Upper Pillowball Mount?
All it does is adjust your camber. For the Mcpherson strut suspension(only for front) models, the camber angle is adjustable. For those people, like me, we must purchase a rear camber kit to adjust the rears if we choose to do so. When purchasing from a shop, the Tein's usually come with the Upper Pillowball Mounts, its very rare when a shop will try selling you on the Teins without the upper pillowball mounts. I do believe that although the rears will come with upper pillowball mounts, only the fronts will allow for camber adjustment. If you need to adjust the rears you will need to purchase an aftermarket Camber adjustment.

What a comparable setup like the SS?
The SS is a replacement for the HA's, although HA's come with a helper spring they are essentially the same coilover. For starters the SS is a great way to go if you do not feel like spending too much money on a set of coilovers or you do not plan to go auto-xing where having a set of agressive coilovers can help out. If you are interested in a set of more agressive coilovers look into these companies such as JIC FLT-A2's, Tein Flex, Apex-i n1, HKS Hipermax Damper II kit, Zeal Function S6, Toda Fightex...all these kits should be less than 2k, but more than 1200$
...right now its like 2:30AM..so if you have any questions just post it up on here and I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge or hopefully someone else with Teins can help out too..I will try to post up some detailed pictures of my Tein SS along with a few diagrams from Tein's website to pinpoint what I'm talking about if you still do not know wtf I am mumbling about lol.....I'm also pretty sure I probably left something out in this so-called FAQ so be sure to ask any questions if you have any.. =)
-Lawrence

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
this is kinda cool!

the new tein SS for preludes are different than that of the old ones.

the new ones have different types of paint that won't flake off and can also accomodate the EDFC(adjustable dampening from inside the car).

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tein SS pic taken of Tein's website

Tein SS rears

Tein SS fronts with upper pillowball mounts w/ camber adjustment

Tein SS drop on my RSX

·
Registered
168 Posts
i'm happy with my tein ss

hey there, question for you? i've had my tein ss on my rsx for about 5 months now and i know i'm supposed too clean the threading periodically. my question is, in regards to maintenance, do i need to loosen them and retighten them every so often? is there any chance that they can come loose and ride height become uneven over time? meaning the perch that spins of course? Also, tein specifically says that these are not for use on public roads and that they willl not be held responsible for harm or death caused due to the use of their product. if this is the case, why do they market a product for street use? thanks for any answers any one can provide.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you dont need to necessarily loosen them...just make sure theyre tight, if you are really meticulous about these types of things then i guess you can loosen it to clean the threads but personally i'd be too lazy to do that....just a few swipes with a rag and a toothbrush on the threads will suffice for me. almost all aftermarket parts available for cars are suited technically for off-road use only, and that includes everything from intakes to gay ass altezza's

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just like with any other shock....if theres oil leaking, or if the side just rides like shit....also you can tell if the suspension is getting softer than it should/used to be....one problem with Teins is that the shock seems to get softer over time...I'm guessing with our rather rough roads we'll have to see our Teins getting reserviced roughly every 2-3 years if you want to maintain the OEM stiffness

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Do you guys know what the spring rates and adjustability is on the A'pexi WS system? From what the website says about it, it sounds soft and conservative, but in the original post it said they are more aggressive than the Tein SS.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
White98LS said:
Do you guys know what the spring rates and adjustability is on the A'pexi WS system? From what the website says about it, it sounds soft and conservative, but in the original post it said they are more aggressive than the Tein SS.
sorry...i edited my post, i was referring to the Apex-i N1 series..the WS should be softer than the SS if not be directly comparable to the SS. Im not sure about their springrates though...sorry

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Oh ok, that's cool. Their website doesn't say anything about adjustable dampers either, I'd think if they had that feature it would be a big deal. Guess I'll stick with the Teins. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
bump, i vote to sticky this

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im surprised not too many people have questions about these coilovers yet their popularity has shot up recently...

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
OK now I have some questions:

1. It says here something about the spring rate being adjustable, looks like for the '94-01 Integra + or - 112lbs/in. So can you really adjust the spring rate without switching springs? How is this done, by preloading the spring? So theoretically with the stock 448/336 springs, I could decrease the rate down to 336/224??

2. At max height in front, which looks like -1.6" from the chart, would I need a camber kit (pillowball mount)?

3. If I did need softer springs (I want a good ride and I race on a pretty uneven surface), how much would that cost me?

4. How much do the pillowball mounts cost?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
White98LS said:
OK now I have some questions:

1. It says here something about the spring rate being adjustable, looks like for the '94-01 Integra + or - 112lbs/in. So can you really adjust the spring rate without switching springs? How is this done, by preloading the spring? So theoretically with the stock 448/336 springs, I could decrease the rate down to 336/224??

2. At max height in front, which looks like -1.6" from the chart, would I need a camber kit (pillowball mount)?

3. If I did need softer springs (I want a good ride and I race on a pretty uneven surface), how much would that cost me?

4. How much do the pillowball mounts cost?

Thanks!
1) i think you are correct, however honestly im not exactly sure lol. I know the thing has rebound and compression together...
2) with 1.6" drop, you shouldnt really need a camber kit however your tires will wear out significantly more on the outside but not as bad as if you were to drop it 2.0"..anyways its up to you whether you want a camber kit..I highly suggest paying the extra 300$ for upper pillowball mounts if you do not want any uneven tread wear
3)spring prices are found here http://www.tein.com/stsp.html
4) roughly 300$

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Cool thanks.

1) The rebound/compression is damping, I'm talking about spring rates.

2) Doncha mean the inside of the tire wearing?

Alright, still trying to decide between this and Spoon springs / Koni yellows. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha...sorry..i mean the insides..the tires butterfly inward, i was thinking about my own car and i realized my outside wears out funny cuz i take corners pretty hard now

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
ArtcbluRsx said:
haha...sorry..i mean the insides..the tires butterfly inward, i was thinking about my own car and i realized my outside wears out funny cuz i take corners pretty hard now
Haha well there ya go - gotta balance the camber wear ya know? Good excuse for the cops, I'll have to remember that one.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
White98LS said:
Cool thanks.

1) The rebound/compression is damping, I'm talking about spring rates.

2) Doncha mean the inside of the tire wearing?

Alright, still trying to decide between this and Spoon springs / Koni yellows. Thanks for your help.
after talking with a few buds...yes the spring rate will change +-117 or w/e it is depending on the model...

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Hmmm cool. So do you know how this is done? Is it just more or less spring preload? I think my ideal setting would be full soft in front (336) and ~300 in back.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts