Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would say about 3-4 months ago I had my front brakes done - on my 96 4-door EX - by the dealer. At this time I told them to find anything that was wrong with the car because I want to get it painted, new wheels, etc. and it doesn't make sense to do this to a car that doesn't run good. All they came back with was I needed new brakes. I was impressed with their honesty because they had a blank check and they only got me for under $200.

About two weeks ago I took it in for a noise/feel. It is tricky to explain, but I could feel a sort of grind through the gas pedal that was most evident between 15-20mph, but it goes away when I speed up. I think this is because it has something to do with a rotating part somewhere. I could sort of hear it too. I took it in and went on a test drive with the tech. He heard/felt it and they replaced the front-driver's wheel bearing. They told me it would be $330 and it was $277 - again I'm impressed. The noise seemed to be gone on my way home but was right back he next day! I took it in again and they told me that it was something in the transmission (I have a 5-speed) and they wouldn't do anything right now if they were me. I was told that the head tech or whatever confirmed this. The noise before the bearing and after the bearing is exactly the same. Oh, my front wheel is bent, but I don't want to get new wheels until the car is painted and I just found out I'm going to be moving in August.

What do you guys think of this whole situation?

On a side note, do you think it will be cheaper to get the car painted in California or Mississippi instead of the Washington DC area?

Thanks for reading this long post.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll tell ya how it sounds. It sounds like the dealer is eating up YOUR money! How? Because thats how they make money. Say for example, you go into get your brakes done, sure they do your brakes but while their doing your brakes they try and mess up lets just say a wheel bearing. Oh no, now your brakes work but your wheel bearing is messed up so you take it back and they replace the wheel bearing for you. Then, usually a couple days or a after leaving the dealership all happy thinking to yourself "Wow, I got everything fixed now, my car feels brand new!" A new problem occurs, so you take it back to them and now they say its the tranny! Wow, but the very first day you went it you asked them to located and identify all possible problems, but it seems like they are identifying them after they purposely messed it up. Wheel bearings just don't mess up after a brake change. If your bearings were bad you would've noticed them/feel them while driving. So in conclusion, I myself have been fucked over by the dealership just like you have and everyone else that gets serviced by the dealership. Furthermore, I encourage you to not go back to them and find yourself a trusthworthy mechanic.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Accuallyyyyyyyyy .. the rotor and wheel bearing are like attached with our car .. if they changed the rotors im 95% sure they could have looked at the wheel bearings .. if theres NO GREASE .. they either needed to be greases so they dont make noise or check for damage then and get new ones .. There basically gonna have to pull your rotors off to check again .. :bash

WORD TO THE WISE: Dont goto a mechanic. Do EVERYTHING yourself. You end up paying a ton of money and your never satisfied with the results .. 95% of the time if i do have to goto a mechanic .. then I sit there and watch and make sure they do everything correctly .. youd be supprised how retarded some people are ... I had one guy pull off the tire .. remove the hub nut .. and try to rip it off w. a sliding hammer .. then he put the hub nut on loose and the wheels back on .. crazyyyy noises after that .. then I took it somewhere else b/c he said he couldnt get them off and they did it properly with a press and said my hub nut was loose ..

in your case Id prob. have went to the mechanic too .. Id question the dealership like 'didnt you check the bearings while you had the rotors removed?

... ok so I just read the removal of front disc in the Haynes .. they make it sound like its a bolt on job .. I always heard you need a machine press ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, do you guys think it is something with the tranny or the wheel bearing? I think the noise/feel was there before they did my brakes; it just got a little worse. At this point I just want it fixed. Is there any way/reason they could have fixed it and something (like a bent wheel) caused it to go bad?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.