Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dose the ecu and dash read off the same senor on the engine? dose the dash/ecu share the same senor(s) for the oil pressure or is there two different senor for each of them? same question gose for the temp. senors? only reason i ask is because my cooling fan never seem to turn on when the temp senor on my dash is half way up. 92 dx with a d15b running p08 (***** have oil pressure senor). the old engine was blown due to over heating.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I wired in my VTEC for my B16A swap, I found the factory hadn't joined the ECU to the wiring harness for the fan relays, I may be mistaken on how they are to be wired in, but by looking at the diagrams, it appeared the wire was to go from the ECU to the fan relay to power the fan. The wire between the ECU and relay were the same colour and missing like 3 inches.

I joined the wires and haven't had a problem cooling since.. and the fan ACTUALLY comes on now!

(BTW 95 Civic, stock D15, w/ P06)

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
civic510z said:
so if the oil senors is unplug will the oil light come off?
If you unplug the sending unit then yes the oil light will be on, if you oil light is on and you havent unpluged the sender then you might want to look into that.
-Make sure you have oil in the engine first off
-The next step would be hook a mechanical oil pressure gauge up and make sure you do have oil pressure
-If you have oil pressure then replace your sending unit, if you don't then more than likely your oil pump is bad which means if you keep running it then you will need a new engine.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
ATISTANG said:
If you unplug the sending unit then yes the oil light will be on, if you oil light is on and you havent unpluged the sender then you might want to look into that.
-Make sure you have oil in the engine first off
-The next step would be hook a mechanical oil pressure gauge up and make sure you do have oil pressure
-If you have oil pressure then replace your sending unit, if you don't then more than likely your oil pump is bad which means if you keep running it then you will need a new engine.
The oil pressure switch actually only completes the circuit when their is low oil pressure. Once the pressure goes past about 7.5psi, the circuit is broken. So if you unplug the oil pressure switch, the oil light will never come on. I removed mine from my car when I installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

If the oil pressure light is *ON* then either you have less than 7.5psi of oil pressure which probably means that your engine is toast from oil starvation, or you have a defective oil pressure switch. A new switch is about $6.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my oil light is not on, but i do not know if oil is working right. i know for a fact my engine have oil, but like i say be4 i cut the oil pressure senor line and i reconect it. i *think* i have a good coonection. my ***** have a oil pressure senor too. so my question is, if i rev my engine up so ***** open, it should throw a code if there not enought oil pressure right?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Don't think, test it. The oil pressure switch is a single wire. solder it and put a piece of heat shrink tubing over the connection.

Also, as I have already said, the oil pressure switch located on the back of the block above the oil filter is not connected to the ecu *AT ALL*, so no, your ecu will not throw a code due to low oil pressure.

The vtec oil pressure switch is an entirely different animal and it will throw a code if you have engaged vtec but oil pressure falls too low and you can not stay in vtec. However it really isn't wise to rev your motor to 5500rpm if you are not sure that you have good oil pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.