Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished swapping a jdm b18c into my gsr and it runs fine with no major problems or codes but it seems that the motor never gets to optimum running temperature while i'm driving. The temp needle fluctuates all the way from 3mm past C to less than half way all while dirving. It doesn't stabalize anywhere and does not overheat either. I removed the AC and the AC condensor along with it which sits in front of the radiator. I'm guessing this is causing more cool air to hit the radiator cooling the coolant down too much? Could a bad thermostat cause this to happen? I always though a bad thermostat causes the car to overheat. Another thing is the car will reach optimum temp while sitting idle and fans come on as normal while just sitting idle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
403 Posts
i had the same problem with my integra before. turned out to be a bad thermostat. easy was to check turn the heat on and go for a drive. if your heat stays the same temp then its not the thermostat. if it fluctuates its a bad thermostat. gl.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey Han,

i noticed the my temp goes pretty high almost and @ times to the H, but that is only when i'm @ a drive-thru or stopped at a light. i did notice fairly recently that when i had the heater on and i was driving constant, the heat stayed the same temp, but when i stopped @ a drive-thru or light (again) the heater temp would be colder.

i had problems with my radiator before. at first they thought my fans were turning on so they wired them to come on when the car/battery is on. my temp was STILL going sky high! turns out that there was an air bubble/spot in the radiator line. they bled that and for a while that fixed everything. now, my car's temp is way up there again. not sure what to do now...

thanks a lot

-M-

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I quickly installed the AC condenser and now it seems to stabalize a bit under half way. I still think it's running too cold. Also the radiator is a type-r rad could that have better cooling than the gsr one? I would think they would be identical or am I wrong? I'll go have a drive with the heater on and see what happens.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dude Its definetly ur thermostat the honda ones are know for farking up and staying stuck open, at least this way u dont over heat. Also the reason the car does not heat up while highway driving is because air is russing in to ur radiator cooling it down and thus when u start stop it gets hotter. Just dont thrash ur car cold and get a new thermostat there cheap also go whith the honda original.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it is the actual thermo. I'll run to honda and get one tomorrow. The other day I was checking the coolant and I noticed a yellowish waxie type of stuff floating in the coolant. I'm guessing it's the wax from the thermo? Does it work with the wax heating up expanding causing the valve to open or does it work with a spring of some sorts. Anyway a thermo is a couple bucks from honda. If that doesn't solve the problem then I'll look into the temp sensor. I've never had a car run cooler than it should but I have had overheating problems with previous cars and more than likely people install aftermarket garbage thermos which are either bad right off the bat or go bad in couple months.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I changed the thermo just now and although the old one wasn't stuck open, The rubber was dryed and breaking up real easily. I think since the coolant was drained, the rubber seal dryed up and now it won't seal properly. I'll take it for a test drive in a bit to see if it made any difference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hobie237 said:
if it doesnt seal right, thats the same as it being stuck partially open...the point is that the coolant is not being trapped and heating up....

Yup. Problem solved :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
tegstar83 said:
Dude Its definetly ur thermostat the honda ones are know for farking up and staying stuck open, at least this way u dont over heat. Also the reason the car does not heat up while highway driving is because air is russing in to ur radiator cooling it down and thus when u start stop it gets hotter. Just dont thrash ur car cold and get a new thermostat there cheap also go whith the honda original.
yeah he's right

1 - 12 of 12 Posts