Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a new place and hooked up the cable internet today. I noticed that when I am checking email or opening new windows in IE, it freezes for a second before it lets you proceed. I checked the internet connection and settings and everything appears normal. I had this modem and ISP from my old place with no problems at all so something changed or something isn't right. Any input would be appreciated! PS, its a Linksys modem.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hellasweet said:
I just moved into a new place and hooked up the cable internet today. I noticed that when I am checking email or opening new windows in IE, it freezes for a second before it lets you proceed. I checked the internet connection and settings and everything appears normal. I had this modem and ISP from my old place with no problems at all so something changed or something isn't right. Any input would be appreciated! PS, its a Linksys modem.
Hey, I don't think your ISP/modem has to do anything with the IE freezing. I used to have the same problem but the only way I resolved it was formatting (I needed it anyway)--which was not a resolution to everything lol...

Anyway, have you installed anything recently that would affect memory by a program running in the background, such as Anti-Virus? I'm taking a wild guess that when you check email you use Outlook Express/Microsoft Outlook/some equivalent client rather than Internet Explorer. I think there are settings to automatically check viruses everytime you start it up. As for IE, I don't know what could be wrong, try resetting the settings to default in Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab

Let me know

EDIT:

You may also want to check your display properties make sure you have the correct drivers for your video card and the resolution is set right.

I remember earlier this person had a concern with his windows being "choppy" and all he needed to do was update/install his video card drivers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Resolution is set right and I downloaded a bunch of crap last night like 'dotnetfx' and some new radeon video drivers. I ran my ATI video card test to see if everything is configured right and it said something curious in the results. it said that DirerctX components are not installed properly. That is strange because all my pc games install directX automatically so I have no idea why that is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I installed spybot search and destroy and now I get a new weird window on startup. When the desktop is loading ( windows XP) I get a "Windows insaller is initializing" window and then another window pops up and says "Norton Antivirus cannot load the program, please uninstall and reinstall" I got this once before and it just went away. What the hell is it?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hmm something is trying to boot up & is missing a component... I used ot always get that with my Office XP installs where when I started up word, it'll say Windows Installation ... blah blah blah. I ended up reinstalling Office XP. In your case, I would try uninstalling Norton first, & reinstalling it afterwards, see what happens.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so more weirdness is going on. I want to just wipe out my hard drive and start from scratch because I hate all these things I have to put up with. So here is a list of new things that are happening:

1) The windows installer error message has now randomly disappeared on start up. This is a good thing but I have no idea why it went away.

2) Norton antivirus now tells me at random times that I need to renew my subscription even though I bought a two year subscription and have 605 days left. After delving into this, norton checks my status, sees I have 605 says, and resets it back to normal. Sometimes it says I am expired, and sometimes it says I have only 22 days left ????? wtf?

3) at random times the modem will not turn on. I have a lynksys ethernet/usb cable modem and at times it won't work. When its working all three lights will be glowing solid and the ethernet light will be blinking telling me i have a signal, thats normal. Now when its messing up just the first light will be blinking and will fail to boot up at all no matter how many times I unplug and replug it in. ???? It's a mystery, man. Although I do have it plugged into a 3 outlet splitter and I am using a 50 foot cable

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so more weirdness is going on. I want to just wipe out my hard drive and start from scratch because I hate all these things I have to put up with. So here is a list of new things that are happening:

1) The windows installer error message has now randomly disappeared on start up. This is a good thing but I have no idea why it went away.

2) Norton antivirus now tells me at random times that I need to renew my subscription even though I bought a two year subscription and have 605 days left. After delving into this, norton checks my status, sees I have 605 says, and resets it back to normal. Sometimes it says I am expired, and sometimes it says I have only 22 days left ????? wtf?

3) at random times the modem will not turn on. I have a lynksys ethernet/usb cable modem and at times it won't work. When its working all three lights will be glowing solid and the ethernet light will be blinking telling me i have a signal, thats normal. Now when its messing up just the first light will be blinking and will fail to boot up at all no matter how many times I unplug and replug it in. ???? It's a mystery, man. Although I do have it plugged into a 3 outlet splitter and I am using a 50 foot cable

4) the internal clock on windows XP resets it self and says its january 2005, i have no idea what this means. The time is also way off...

·
Registered
670 Posts
2) DO you have two copies of it installed? I'm assuming you may have to reinstall it & enter your serial that was provided with you which will count for the remaining days that are left on the subscription.

3) I have had terrible experiences with cable modem & splitter combinations. Although I don't power mine through USB (I have it connected to Ethernet) I had the house wire split into four, 3 TVs & 1 cable modem & it kept lagging out and when I rebooted the modem the lights would be whack and it would never sync to the server. Try lowering the amount of splits. Right now I'm doing it straight through a coupler & it works well.

4) Try & replace the battery that's on your motherboard, it's a circular battery that's for the CMOS (I believe). Maybe that's gone bad. It controls system time as well (from what I remember) -- like a watch battery.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jhwee said:
2) DO you have two copies of it installed? I'm assuming you may have to reinstall it & enter your serial that was provided with you which will count for the remaining days that are left on the subscription.

3) I have had terrible experiences with cable modem & splitter combinations. Although I don't power mine through USB (I have it connected to Ethernet) I had the house wire split into four, 3 TVs & 1 cable modem & it kept lagging out and when I rebooted the modem the lights would be whack and it would never sync to the server. Try lowering the amount of splits. Right now I'm doing it straight through a coupler & it works well.

4) Try & replace the battery that's on your motherboard, it's a circular battery that's for the CMOS (I believe). Maybe that's gone bad. It controls system time as well (from what I remember) -- like a watch battery.
I am pretty sure I dont have two copies installed but I will reinstall it anyways just to make sure.

The place we moved into only has one cable outlet, its a really old place. We actually had to go get three hole power outlets just so we could plug out power strips in, lol, the whole place was still using the two hole plugs, what a pain in the ass.
So since we only have the one cable outlet we have to use a three way splitter. I am using the ethernet cable on the modem right now.

The motherboard is brand new, prolly not even a year old, but I will change out the battery just like you said, just to take that off the checklist of things possibly wrong with it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hellasweet said:
I am pretty sure I dont have two copies installed but I will reinstall it anyways just to make sure.

The place we moved into only has one cable outlet, its a really old place. We actually had to go get three hole power outlets just so we could plug out power strips in, lol, the whole place was still using the two hole plugs, what a pain in the ass.
So since we only have the one cable outlet we have to use a three way splitter. I am using the ethernet cable on the modem right now.

The motherboard is brand new, prolly not even a year old, but I will change out the battery just like you said, just to take that off the checklist of things possibly wrong with it.
Yeah I know you probably don't have two copies lol, dunno computers/registeries are weird sometimes :(.

That's weird how there's no house ground lol. Well that's what I thought the third prong was for.

Anyway, for the battery -- it's worth a shot, I mean my remote for the car alarm ran out of batteries so I swapped it with my mobo and it reset the time every time you remove the battery so yeah.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jhwee said:
Yeah I know you probably don't have two copies lol, dunno computers/registeries are weird sometimes :(.

That's weird how there's no house ground lol. Well that's what I thought the third prong was for.

Anyway, for the battery -- it's worth a shot, I mean my remote for the car alarm ran out of batteries so I swapped it with my mobo and it reset the time every time you remove the battery so yeah.
Ok, so nothing weird has happened as of late with the norton program or anything else. I got a shorter cable ( about 65 feet shorter :) ) for the modem so the modem is now working fine but the internet is still weird.

I go to check my mail and it will just freeze on a page, like, it gets in trouble when it has to open a new window, like I'll click on a link and it will show that its opening then just freeze with a 'done' appearing in the bottom left corner and the progress bars on the right corner will all be full. When this happens, I open a new IE window and just start over and that seems to work until that new window also freezes. I do this until I have three frozen windows then press cntl/alt/delete and bring up the menu to end them all. It's really weird and annoying. Could this be a problems with javascript? Could it be that my comp doenst like IE? I have no clue

·
Registered
670 Posts
One would say to that diagnosis is to get FireFox & that will solve all your problems. It's up to you if you want to switch browsers or not.

It may be the javascript error, do you have the current javascript from Sun Microsystems? Or was it Microsoft? I can't remember, that's something called Java Virtual Machine or something like that. But I think that's obsolete now... :confused

http://java.sun.com/

Try downloading the latest drivers. Anything else slowing down your process/taking excessive memory usage?

Run a full check disk (chkdsk) & see what happens. Dunno if it'll help but let me know.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I installed the lates drivers and its basically the same. It seems to be freezing while loading pages, very annoying. Also, norton antivirus scan reports an error while I am running a full system scan, that's a new one. It has to shut norton down so I can never finish a full scan.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
jhwee said:
One would say to that diagnosis is to get FireFox & that will solve all your problems. It's up to you if you want to switch browsers or not.

It may be the javascript error, do you have the current javascript from Sun Microsystems? Or was it Microsoft? I can't remember, that's something called Java Virtual Machine or something like that. But I think that's obsolete now... :confused

http://java.sun.com/

Try downloading the latest drivers. Anything else slowing down your process/taking excessive memory usage?

Run a full check disk (chkdsk) & see what happens. Dunno if it'll help but let me know.
when does scandisk work anyways? all these years since i was a kid...i never seen scan disk show anything when i do a scan

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so I found the problem. On another board someone told me to run hijack this and post the results. So there were two things that weren't supposed to be there. I deleted those two things and now no more stopping and freezing. Yay for me. Just giving you guys some closure, thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.