1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
just get a high flow cat :D

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
first off i do believe it is a violation of federal law to tamper with the catalytic converter. to completely remove it and replace it with a straight pipe is a serious offence, i do believe that the fines for that start around $500, and skyrocket very quickly.

also, each state has its own laws governing emissions equipment, but generally speaking, you must have all the emissions equipment required by your state. in california, not having a working cat is grounds for having your car towed and impounded!

if you live in an area that doesn't have emissions checks, then you're probably pretty safe though. i know that a lot of people in Oklahoma don't run cats because there's no checks on emissions equipment in that state (there is a law prohibiting the use of any exhaust systems components that raise the noise level above stock though).

still, i would seriously recommend that you not run without a cat. not only is it extremely bad for the environment (hey, someone had to say it!), the potential for mishap is just too great in my book. go with the high flow cat, you'll be thankful you did if a cop takes a real close look at your car (i have heard of CHP looking underneath a car to check for a cat, so it's not completely unfeasible.).

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'll be running a test pipe, because where I live in VA we have no emissions so...you'll be straight if where you live doesn't have a sniffer.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
like the others said. you can get away with it if you don't have emissions testing. but even if you don't and a cop that knows what he is looking for can issue a ticket for it and mandate it being fixed. if you don't the car is impounded and you still have to pay the fine of the ticket and to get the car back....and the tow truck fee since they wouldn't let you drive it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
98civcEK said:
...you still have to pay the fine of the ticket and to get the car back....and the tow truck fee since they wouldn't let you drive it.
and let me tell you from experience, towing fees are expensive as hell! you're looking at at least $75 just for the towing itself, then each day that the lot holds it usually adds about $50-$60. some might even charge you a release fee, depending on your area. not to mention that if your car gets towed for that reason, your insurance probably won't cover it, and may even increase your premiums!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Don't pollute if you don't have to. Get yourself a high-flow cat and call it a day.

If you must run without a cat and you live in a place that does testing, right after you get tested again just hollow out the cat. Cops can look but they won't know it's not functional unless they test. That's the right way to do it illegally, if there is such a thing.

But seriously, our environment has enough problems without people removing their cat in favor of a few HP.

·
Registered
264 Posts
hmm, my car passed emissions and i run a straight pipe !... i passed by like 4 points. i guess if your car runs clean and doesnt put out a fat fuel smell or you kno it doesnt pollute or somthing i ono go get it tested, and then do it but if u pollute i guess get a high flo

if you really want the pipe go get it tested without the cat, if u dont pass then get a cat, if u pass then get the pipe IMO

ur car ur choices ur kids/ kids kids think about it

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I love cat. converter threads..BLAH BLAH BLAH..put a straight pipe on the car that can easily be changed out to a cat for inspection, then taken back off. A "highflow cat" from ebay is one of two things- A resonator that looks like a cat..fake. Or a cat that doesn't work because OBD2 cars will still have a CEL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts