Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on turning my baby into a high 11's funmobile. I'm going to need cam gears eventually anyways so I figured I could try to run it by you guys and hopefully someone who might know cam gears a little better might be able to help. All of them allow for +/-10 degree adjustment. This is the dilemma:

First of all you have your perfectly acceptable quality AEM cam gears that cost about $80 each. They are made of billet aluminum, have 3 bolts, and virtually no slippage on mildly modified cars. I don't plan on considering my car mildly modified once the turbo is on there, so I don't feel safe using any 3-bolt design for a cam gear, even if it's AEM.

Second we have the 6-bolt Skunk2 cam gear. Made of the same billet aluminum as the AEM, these promise even less slipping for the price of $120 a piece.

Last we have the 4-bolt Spoon Sports or Toda design. These designs use 7075 grade aluminum, whereas the previous designs use 6061 (a cheaper lower-quality grade of aluminum). The 7075 allows for a lighter stronger design. These range at about $300 a pair for either manufacturer.

Now my question is will the 4-bolt design used by Spoon or Toda slip more than the 6-bolt design used by Skunk2? Since the aluminum is stronger in the Spoons/Todas, will that prevent slipping more? Which is the most suitable for a turbo setup that will be in the 11s?

Maybe once this is sorted out this could go down as the first tech archive :p.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Fact: The skunk 2 cam gears are made of 7075 aluminum...
Rumor: the skunk 2's are lighter than the spoon and TODA's

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tuan said:
get the skunk2. 2nd choice would be Toda.

the Spoon and AEM have been known to slip with Toda B's...just ask Ali at AKH Trading...he gets all the broken Toda cams back from the customers from cam gear slippages.
cool, i was wondering about spoon and toda cam gears. unfortunatly i have a pair of AEM cam gears in front me that will be collecting more dust. so skunk2 it is.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tuan said:
get the skunk2. 2nd choice would be Toda.

the Spoon and AEM have been known to slip with Toda B's...just ask Ali at AKH Trading...he gets all the broken Toda cams back from the customers from cam gear slippages.
Toda recommends only using their cam gears with their cams because of this. It says at Todaracing.com...

"TECHNICAL NOTE: Some aftermarket adjustable campulleys allow timing adjustments of +/- 10 degrees and their timing plates have tendencies to slip. If slippage occurs while using these campulleys on TODA Racing camshafts, engine damage may occur. Some aftermarket campulleys use connecting bolts that are not compatible with TODA camshafts. The use of these bolts could damage the TODA camshafts. If you plan to use TODA camshafts, we only recommend using TODA campulleys to prevent damage to the camshafts. "

So the Skunk2's are made of 7075? It says billet aluminum and most billet is 6061 I thought? So it looks like I'm gonna get me the Skunk2 cam gears. I'm keeping stock camshafts or maybe switching to ITR for a little more power until the turbo gets here; side question: will I lose anything once the turbo goes on with the ITR cams instead of the GSR?

3-bolt cam gears are evil, even if it's a bigger name like AEM. STR uses 3-bolts if that's any indication to design quality :p.

·
Registered
213 Posts
For all the bad press AEM cam gears get, I've never heard of them slipping. Not once. I have them on my car with no problems, and the markings are easy to read. Here is some proof that they're a good cam gear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So then we've come to the conclusion that the Skunk2's are the best cam gears for your buck? If they are better than Spoons, would it be safe to say "Skunk2 cam gears are THE BEST"?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts