Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a "discussion" with my cousin and he thinks its going to take a minimum of $5000 to put turbo on my civic and he doesn't think it is worth putting a turbo oncause he says honda's are unreliable (obviously we know this isn't true). I was just wondering how much did it cost you guys to hook up a reliable turbo?

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Well, total cost is gonna depend entirely on your power goals, whetehr you use brand new shit, or maybe find used stuff, or even a junkyard turbo to boost. Some turbos are small enough to forgo an intercooler, while a huge turbo is going to need a big expensive IC.

What is you power goal? 200hp? 300hp? does it need peak power? driving power? Is it for drag? street driving? track whore?

More details allow more detailed answers

· Registered
10,346 Posts
And for the price, ive seen a buddy of mine source junkyard parts and boost his miata to 200hp with only 300 bucks spent, almost all used parts. Stock internals. 100 bucks of that was spent on a preassembled megasquirt that was for a 300hp miata, so he street tuned it himself and saved money that way.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
ive seen guys go all out with gt35r turbos on b18bs and barely break the 250... and ive seen d series motors on t3/to4 set up break 356 whp

and money normally isnt an option. ive seen dude by inline pro kits for 4500$ and ive seen dudes buy ebay specials for 600$ it depends on how you do it AND IF YOU HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO DO IT.

it depends on the tune/...

witha great turbo and expensive parts. yeah there nice to have but with a shitty tune they arent worth it, the tune basically makes or breaks the car in the world of forced induction.... research.... do alot of it. and then decide what you want to do.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
when i was about to turbo my civic, i bought all brand new parts and spent a little over $1k piecing the kit together. The only parts i didnt have were the intercooler piping and the charge piping. So, for 1500 i could have had a dyno tuned turbo'd civic.

You can find parts for much cheaper than that especially if you go for used parts. Boosting really isnt expensive. As long as you get it tuned well, and treat it right, it will be reliable.

· Registered
60 Posts
Junkyard turbos are cheap, but can be a HUGE headache. I junkyard turbo'd my 99 Mazda 626 (yes... I know) and spent most of my time chasing problems around that finally came back to the turbo I pulled off an SRT-4. If you're looking for a good reliable turbo setup that you won't have to spend weeks fixing, get all new parts.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
Junkyard turbos are cheap, but can be a HUGE headache. I junkyard turbo'd my 99 Mazda 626 (yes... I know) and spent most of my time chasing problems around that finally came back to the turbo I pulled off an SRT-4. If you're looking for a good reliable turbo setup that you won't have to spend weeks fixing, get all new parts.
agreed.. this is why i bought all new parts and spent a little bit more up front, but it definitely saves in the long run

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
uh i'm looking for a little over 200 whp and its my daily driver. and yea i told him it wouldn't be near 5 g's and i had planned on finding a turbo used from the harry's u pull it if i could find one and then id just rebuild it or get one off ebay

· Registered
10,346 Posts
uh i'm looking for a little over 200 whp and its my daily driver. and yea i told him it wouldn't be near 5 g's and i had planned on finding a turbo used from the harry's u pull it if i could find one and then id just rebuild it or get one off ebay
Good idea, 200hp is easily achieveable, and if its tuned well, can be done on stock internals, if the engine passes a compression test with good numbers.

If you get a junkyard turbo, look for one that has an internal wastegate. There are also turbos that are watercooled in addition to being oil cooled, these are usually ones that last longer. If you found a mitsu turbo in there, grab its intercooler and oil cooler as well, the intercooler from them is good for upwards of 250hp. Running with no intercooler means you gotta mess with the timing and use higher octane gas

· Registered
41,903 Posts
Good idea, 200hp is easily achieveable, and if its tuned well, can be done on stock internals, if the engine passes a compression test with good numbers.

If you get a junkyard turbo, look for one that has an internal wastegate. There are also turbos that are watercooled in addition to being oil cooled, these are usually ones that last longer. If you found a mitsu turbo in there, grab its intercooler and oil cooler as well, the intercooler from them is good for upwards of 250hp. Running with no intercooler means you gotta mess with the timing and use higher octane gas
an intercooler can be picked up pretty cheap too. My friend had a d16y7 in his eg hatch running 8psi. i forget what size turbo, but it was pretty small and he put down like 218whp on the dyno, and the motor was completely stock, so yeah it's definitely achievable. D series love boost for some reason :hehe

· Registered
1,221 Posts
an intercooler can be picked up pretty cheap too. My friend had a d16y7 in his eg hatch running 8psi. i forget what size turbo, but it was pretty small and he put down like 218whp on the dyno, and the motor was completely stock, so yeah it's definitely achievable. D series love boost for some reason :hehe
ill always have a place in my heart for my dirty d's... :)

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea thats another thing just how safe is it to run a turbo on stock internals? because my cousin has absolutely no faith in me,or anyone for that matter, putting a turbo on my engine even with a bare minimum of putting new pistons in.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
yea thats another thing just how safe is it to run a turbo on stock internals? because my cousin has absolutely no faith in me,or anyone for that matter, putting a turbo on my engine even with a bare minimum of putting new pistons in.
Its perfectly ok if you run like 140hp, anything up to 200hp, you better make sure your engine is making good compression, and has a SOLID tune. Id prolly spend the extra coin and rering the bitch if you only gonna get enough power added so you dont have the rev the piss outta it to pass on the highway. 140hp is plenty for that.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Just had a "discussion" with my cousin and he thinks its going to take a minimum of $5000 to put turbo on my civic and he doesn't think it is worth putting a turbo oncause he says honda's are unreliable (obviously we know this isn't true). I was just wondering how much did it cost you guys to hook up a reliable turbo?
you can build a reliable mid 200 level boosted civic for around 2k. your cousin has no idea what he's talking about

· Registered
10,346 Posts
As far as some motors handle stock, on youtube i think, there is a stock block s2000 making 700hp, but hes a pro tuner, so that thing is dialed perfect. Theres also a large number of people using K20 motors and hitting 400hp on the stock assembly.

Stick to less than 200hp.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
As far as some motors handle stock, on youtube i think, there is a stock block s2000 making 700hp, but hes a pro tuner, so that thing is dialed perfect. Theres also a large number of people using K20 motors and hitting 400hp on the stock assembly.

Stick to less than 200hp.
ehh 200-220 would be safe.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you can build a reliable mid 200 level boosted civic for around 2k. your cousin has no idea what he's talking about
haha yea he's one of those that thinks he knows a lot and can't be told otherwise...for example a quote from him "putting turbo on your honda is going to be so unreliable i see them broken down on the side of the road all the time" so i just respond w/ yea yea your right when having "discussions" w/ him

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
haha yea he's one of those that thinks he knows a lot and can't be told otherwise...for example a quote from him "putting turbo on your honda is going to be so unreliable i see them broken down on the side of the road all the time" so i just respond w/ yea yea your right when having "discussions" w/ him
wow...i wouldn't take any advice from him whatsoever. what does he drive?

p.s. lets boost your ride and see how many times it ends up broken down on the side of the road

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow...i wouldn't take any advice from him whatsoever. what does he drive?

p.s. lets boost your ride and see how many times it ends up broken down on the side of the road
haha he drives an old jeep laredo which is always having an oil leak...he's going to UTI to become a mechanic and he does know more about cars than i do just not when it comes to boosting.

p.s. hell yea lets boost my ride then i can leave him and his inline 6 in my dust and he can stop hatin on honda's :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.