Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all know that you want low(er) compression for boost right?..or do you? You can turn up the boost and make more power easier with lower compression, but you MIGHT be able to with the same motor (higher comp)/ same turbo/ less psi, OR if your lucky and can make those numbers with a smaller turbo. Its all about what power/application youre looking for..How much are you willing to spend/risk..and the most IMPORTANT part..THE TUNE.

Im only showing the good builds that actually lasted. Though we may not know how long they laster, we all know what happens when these kind of builds dont work.

Project Toyota Matrix: Part 2 - Project Cars - Sport Compact Car Magazine In the first part they said 7psi
3rd part the motors toast

Honda NSX GT1-Stock c30a 10.2CR
http://asia.vtec.net/bmi/bmi4/
"a Twin-Turbo VTEC Honda NSX ! This car uses practically the same body/chassis as the road-going NSX with a twin-turboed C30A 3.0l engine that generates 650ps ! This segment is an exclusive by BEST MOTORing and is the only test of this car ever done"

Just giving you guys some hope, those who are into taking RISKS..

I look for more examples..Also altitude does have a role in high or low compression so..

· Registered
27 Posts
yes lower compression is better for turbo applications but some run boost on higher compression as well. a buddy of mine with a ITR ran a turbo kit with the higher compression, now you have more of a chance for detonation. My understadning is that you can produce some serious HP with higher compression (correct me if i am wrong someone) but its easier to boost lower compression.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes lower compression is better for turbo applications but some run boost on higher compression as well. a buddy of mine with a ITR ran a turbo kit with the higher compression, now you have more of a chance for detonation. My understadning is that you can produce some serious HP with higher compression (correct me if i am wrong someone) but its easier to boost lower compression.
You can..just AFRs and detonation become even more of an issue when high compression. Most people dont use race gas to go the store and around the city. Better/more ways of intercooling will also help.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Water/meth Injection

/thread

But seriously, my builder has guys coming up to Canada from California to get high compression boost setups tuned using water/meth injection. We're talking 11:1+ and 25psi daily drivers on medium sized turbos.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey relax guys. No one said this was for the street. This is just talking abour cars in general and how their numbers and setups are.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
hey relax guys. No one said this was for the street. This is just talking abour cars in general and how their numbers and setups are.
well you can't just have it on such a broad subject.

street cars run differently on race cars with different power bands than race cars. so i'm having a problem understanding what you're trying to talk about. street setups and race setups are apples and oranges

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats the whole point. Its true theyre built and used differently but its just to see what setups do what. The nsx i couldnt find any detailed specs but they said the matrix held up for what it was built for. It just to see what setups people are running and how well its working for THEM.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i was actually about a setup like that. Is that your paln? oversized pistons?

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i looked at those holset only for a moment, some dude was selling 1 on ebay. I probably wouldnt go bigger than a t3 on the hotside for a street car, but i guess anything is possible.

Um, is Capntoll serious..25psi on 11:1??

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Yep, and the guy has been running like that for 2-3 years already on Water/meth. Since has been retired to track only use, but still runs like a champ apparently. High boost, high compression can be done if you know how to use water/meth to its full potential.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh ok. Thats pretty cool. Id like to have a track car. Do you know what car/motor setup it is off hand?

Ive read that intercooler spray, whether C02 or N20, help in reducing air charge temp, but obviously not the combustion process itself. Every little bit counts i guess when dealing with such tight tolerances.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
i looked at those holset only for a moment, some dude was selling 1 on ebay. I probably wouldnt go bigger than a t3 on the hotside for a street car, but i guess anything is possible.

Um, is Capntoll serious..25psi on 11:1??
haha. those things spool at 3 grand and make near 500whp with the bep housing you'd have to run. it's 10x's more reliable than anything garrett has to offer and is good to 45 psi. with the right manifold it'll out spool a gt2871r .64. the guy who tunes my car was making 401 rwhp on his smaller holset at 15 psi. these turbos are so under the radar. look what alot of the honda/mitsu boys are doing with them.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Oh ok. Thats pretty cool. Id like to have a track car. Do you know what car/motor setup it is off hand?

Ive read that intercooler spray, whether C02 or N20, help in reducing air charge temp, but obviously not the combustion process itself. Every little bit counts i guess when dealing with such tight tolerances.
I know the first one they ever did was an 88 Civic with a D16zc. They've since done a Mustang in conjunction with a 700 wet shot lol.

Can't remember exactly what motor is in the car he uses as the example of the 25psi high compression build, but it's all the builder talks about lol. I've definitely seen it around, but I dunno what's under the hood. It's B-series for sure.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha. those things spool at 3 grand and make near 500whp with the bep housing you'd have to run. it's 10x's more reliable than anything garrett has to offer and is good to 45 psi. with the right manifold it'll out spool a gt2871r .64. the guy who tunes my car was making 401 rwhp on his smaller holset at 15 psi. these turbos are so under the radar. look what alot of the honda/mitsu boys are doing with them.
45psi??

Are they BB too?

401 at 15psi is pretty good. What car is he running

CapnToll said:
I know the first one they ever did was an 88 Civic with a D16zc. They've since done a Mustang in conjunction with a 700 wet shot lol.

Can't remember exactly what motor is in the car he uses as the example of the 25psi high compression build, but it's all the builder talks about lol. I've definitely seen it around, but I dunno what's under the hood. It's B-series for sure.
Ive only messed with N20 once and that was at school. D17 with a 75 shot makes ~150hp on a dynojet. I wonder what a 700 shot would do :ninja

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
45psi??

Are they BB too?

401 at 15psi is pretty good. What car is he running
Holset Turbochargers

they're hydraulic journal bearings. why do you want a ball bearing?

if you changed to a bep housing. you could slap this 250 dollar turbo on your car. the bep housing would probably be another 200-250 and there you go.

btw this was on an sr20 motor. honda heads flow better so you'll make a little more topend power.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holset Turbochargers

they're hydraulic journal bearings. why do you want a ball bearing?

if you changed to a bep housing. you could slap this 250 dollar turbo on your car. the bep housing would probably be another 200-250 and there you go.

btw this was on an sr20 motor. honda heads flow better so you'll make a little more topend power.
I was just wondering. Well with that setup it still comes out to be cheaper than a t3/t4. Their usually like 5-600 and up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.