Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
cool, what did you use to paint/what steps did you take?

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i followed someone else's guide on here but the dupli-color wheel paint is ugly as hell. it looks too glittery. so i bought some dupli-color sandable primer (at autozone), krylon semi-flat black paint, and krylon clear paint along with 320 grit sand paper (all at wal-mart).

Step 1 - Clean rims (i skipped this step, i jsut whipped them down with a towel)
Step 2 - wet/dry sand the rims with the 320 grit sand paper so they are nice and dull (most time consuming step)
Step 3 - clean rims so that all the dust from sanding is off
Step 4 - i used index cards and tape. put the index cards between the wheel and rim (slid them in nice and tight) then tape then together so they dont fall off in the middle of painting or if it's a little windy out & tape off valve
Step 5 - spray 2-3 coats of primer (i let them dry 10-15 min. each coat...do light coats too!)
Step 6 - spray 3-4 coats of flat black paint (i let them dry 10-15 min. each coat spraying only light coats so it didnt run/drip)
Step 7 - spray 2-3 clear coats (depending on how shinny you want them and also let dry 10-15 min each coat)
Step 8 - let sit for a LONG time (i let mine sit about 18 hours before i put them on) just to be sure they were good and dry

I dont know if i did anything wrong, but that's how i did it : )

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i get my HID retro in a few weeks should i keep the stock color housing (chrome) or should i black them out? i'll have black mirrors, black side skirts, black side moldings, black antenna, black grille, black rims, and a black interior...then i'd just need tints (which i dont know where to go to get it done around here) and black GSR leather seats

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
that gave u 1100hp right,lol,even the steelies look good black, u took more time on it than i woulda, i woulda just used a stripper and cleaned em and painted em, they look tight, who said d.i.y. cant work!?!we pay asshole too much money to fix our cars, or atleast some of u do, so anytime u can do it yerself and look good,go for it. i got started when i lost a tranny and they wanted 2k at a shop and i got it at pull apart for $60 and 5 hours of my time and i was drivin again, so i got hooked fixn stuff, still learn from you guys on here, im not so honda smart yet

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks man, the steelies i just painted 2 coats and 2 clear coats (and got some on the tires...i was in a hurry) but i wanted my main wheels to come out nice...so far so good!

i'm not very honda savy either...oh well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.