Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use a little advice on what the next best mod should be?
I've got a 00Si w/ a new B16A2 w/ I/H/E high flow cat & upgraded plugs & wires.

This year I plan on switching to OBD1(P28 or HondataS300), adj cam gear, fuel pres reg, Skunk2 tuner 2's & proper internal upgrades, and of course a tune.

I am on a budget so I'd like to do it 3 steps the last being the skunk2 camshafts & internals & tune.

Is it better to change the ECU & get a tune OR install & tune adj cam gears & fuel pres reg? What type of gains can I expect for each? which makes the most sense to do first?

Thank you Superhonda experts!:number1:

· Registered
10,346 Posts
By upgraded plugs and wires, I hope you mean simple replacements, honda OEM or NGK plugs and wires are your best investment for those.

I would put the adjustable fuel pressure reg on there, but set it to stock fuel pressure (43 point something) and keep it there for now.

IThen install the cam gears and set em to zero.

Do your internal upgrades. Make sure to run at least 91 octane if you are building the motor for high compression.

You can install teh cams, but do NOT beat on it at all since the motor isnt tuned for the extra lift/duration/overlap those cams produce.

Basically install everything except the hondata, baby it over to your tuners, and let them work their magic.

gains will depend on where you want your power band, the quality of the parts, and the actual features of the parts.

Overall your gonna spend 2 grand easily if you want the best parts.

On the other hand, a B20 with your B16 head would give alot more torque, and the B16 head would net you good topend power.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I wouldnt spend anything on exhaust until your motor is done. Once the motor is done, ask your tuner for optimal exhaust. They might recommend anywhere between 2 and 3 inches, depending on your engine's powerband

· Registered
141 Posts
yuo can do this for way less then 2 grand. As for your order of operations, 1) buy FPR- $ 100 bucks, 2) Buy a package and save money, the cams, cam gears, and valvetrain-<$800. 3) Hondata s300 w/o a doubt, that'll run ya about 450ish.
Then you wait till one saturday morning and you install everything together, the fpr and the ecu will take an hour, tops, then you and your mechanical friend can do your cam swap, about 3-4 hours worth of work. Then like stated above, be very gentle and get to your tuner.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
yuo can do this for way less then 2 grand. As for your order of operations, 1) buy FPR- $ 100 bucks, 2) Buy a package and save money, the cams, cam gears, and valvetrain-<$800. 3) Hondata s300 w/o a doubt, that'll run ya about 450ish.
Then you wait till one saturday morning and you install everything together, the fpr and the ecu will take an hour, tops, then you and your mechanical friend can do your cam swap, about 3-4 hours worth of work. Then like stated above, be very gentle and get to your tuner.
No

He wants full internals and valvetrain, its gonna be more then 2 grand. Good pistons alone go for 400, good rods go for 300, thats 700 right there. Hondata s300 pre chipped into another ecu, that can be bought for 7-900 and thats allowing him to prevent his current ecu from being touched

1400 bucks so far, and he hasnt even touched the valvetrain.

I wasnt kidding when I said at least 2 grand for a proper setup

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the detailed answer! As far as the plugs and wires I went with Denso Iridium stock heat rannge and MSD 8mm wires- nothing crazy. Looks I need to put some more $ away. I'd like to do something now- I'm working with $500-$750 to cover parts & install.

Thanks again,
AB

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for the exhaust goes, I've got a 1 piece tri y DC hearders ceramic coated with wraps, AEM, short ram intake, Magna Flow 2" high flow cat, and APEXI WS2 cat back- all of wich work pretty well. I started at a stock hp of 141 and I'm now at 161 to the wheels.
I'd like all mods to focus on low to mid range power, the B16 has top end to spare. This will be a street car, with an a trip now and then to the 1/4 mile.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's sounds pretty good. As I'm sure most of us are a little impatient and want it all now. I was hoping to do the FPR, cam gears and ecu & tune for now, then 6 months later get the cams & internals installed and tuned. I think that makes sense considering the delay in steps- I can live with eating the extra $ for another tune.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Well, since you have the intake and header, I would install the FPR and increase the pressure to like 44 or 45, having a cold air intake makes the engine super lean when you slam the throttle for the first few seconds, having the slight increase in fuel pressure will help the ecu to correct it better. It will NOT improve your air-fuel ratio for power, this simply allows the ecu to correct the super lean condition FASTER.

so no more then 45 psi and you should be fine. I did this on my old civic, and when I had a short ram and a ebay header, it helped my pickup form a dig from WOT. Its very noticeable on that car though, since it only had 2 fuel injectors for 4 cylinders. It probably wont make such a difference on your car, but hey, every little bit helps.

EDIT Im a fucking idiot. I didnt put an FPR on my old civic, I had slightly bigger injectors. Sorry for the mis info

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.