Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
4. i checked briefly, but is there a thread that anyone has posted giving any detail of what happened and why and what we can expect for the future from SHO?
they're closing all the threads that have to do with the change and their users opinions of it, good or bad.

things i like about the upgrade:
1. easier navigation from the main forum page to subforums. i like it this way over the old way. seems more user friendly.

B. quick reply: so glad that is back. i love the quick reply.

Things that are not desirable:
1. avril lavigne ads on a auto enthusiast website. i understand google provides them externally, but seriously, we got in some kind of avril funk that almost made me tear my eyes right out of their sockets.
2. the redundancy of the links. either keep them all on the left, or at the top. but both are not needed. one could be moved to the bottom, i don't know.

things that must go:
a. avril lavigne.
2. nazi moderating: closing threads about the site change is only going to provoke people to making more, or leaving the site. i highly advise against that. you're not going to win any hearts around here like that, or trying to be 'OG' and changing your join date to 2002. if there's one thing i can promise you, it's that you don't want to piss off the people in the OT louge. They have alot of time on their hands, and can make you job pretty miserable.

Reactions: jeffry6996

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
:rolleyes I'm just asking to have my original account unbanned, it was banned for a stupid reason anyway.
I can certainly research it as I have time. But this is not the thread to discuss it. Send me a PM, we'll talk.

so your telling me..... that u signed up 5 years ago and never posted a single thing ever. then suddenly you become the new admin.

edit: wow.
Exactly. This is not my first rodeo... I've been on quite a few forums for quite a long time. You'll note that the other new additions have new userid's and new join dates.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If for some reason the ads cannot be disabled, please watch the appropriateness of them. I've come across a few ads already that could get people in trouble at work...or at home lol.
These are google ads. Google does not serve ads that should get you at trouble at work... They are very strict.

they're closing all the threads that have to do with the change and their users opinions of it, good or bad.

1. easier navigation from the main forum page to subforums. i like it this way over the old way. seems more user friendly.

Things that are not desirable:
1. avril lavigne ads on a auto enthusiast website. i understand google provides them externally, but seriously, we got in some kind of avril funk that almost made me tear my eyes right out of their sockets.
There should be a URL or Domain in the ad below it.. let me know the URL and I'll filter it out.
2. the redundancy of the links. either keep them all on the left, or at the top. but both are not needed. one could be moved to the bottom, i don't know.
Again, this is a new user issue that we need to strike a balance. In addition, there will be additional content and links provided on the left side moving forward that will not be featured in the navbar. There's only so much room up there. However, as mentioned you'll be able to disable it on the thread pages which is where you really need the screen real estate.

things that must go:
a. avril lavigne.
2. nazi moderating: closing threads about the site change is only going to provoke people to making more, or leaving the site. i highly advise against that. you're not going to win any hearts around here like that, or trying to be 'OG' and changing your join date to 2002. if there's one thing i can promise you, it's that you don't want to piss off the people in the OT louge. They have alot of time on their hands, and can make you job pretty miserable.
I see no nazi moderating going on. Have you read the threads in OT?

It is impossible for us to participate in a discussion spread across 8 threads. It is less efficient for us, and less efficient for users. They might miss a lot of important dialog, suggestions, bug fixes etc. We would have the same conversation 8 times.

The threads were locked with a pointer to this thread. One suggestion thread to rule them all, I see no problem with that.

As mentioned previously, there nothing fake about my member id or join date.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Users browse this site for free, in exchange advertising is shown.
i understand, but there is a lot more here than there was say...a week ago, and at least then it was relevant to cars. 14 ads for avril and avril related sites are useless here. you probably dont have any control over what google puts on, so maybe the answer lies in who the ad spots are sold to

i will agree with both of these, and in addition, i kind of like the look (the pic at the top of the screen)

new themes would be nice, but i know that is not something you are dealing with right now.

just trying to show im not beating up on everything

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
These are google ads. Google does not serve ads that should get you at trouble at work... They are very strict.

There should be a URL or Domain in the ad below it.. let me know the URL and I'll filter it out.
star1013fm.com CelebrityOrJoe.com and other i can't get back to just yet...

Again, this is a new user issue that we need to strike a balance. In addition, there will be additional content and links provided on the left side moving forward that will not be featured in the navbar. There's only so much room up there. However, as mentioned you'll be able to disable it on the thread pages which is where you really need the screen real estate.
i agree, and that will be fine with me once the kinks get worked out. 'till then i can deal :tu

I see no nazi moderating going on. Have you read the threads in OT?

It is impossible for us to participate in a discussion spread across 8 threads. It is less efficient for us, and less efficient for users. They might miss a lot of important dialog, suggestions, bug fixes etc. We would have the same conversation 8 times.

The threads were locked with a pointer to this thread. One suggestion thread to rule them all, I see no problem with that.
lol, ok. then why are nazi emblems being posted? the best thing to do in this situation, is post the pointer, and leave them open. people want to bash and vent, so let them. otherwise i PROMISE you it will get alot worse before it ever gets better. people are resistant to change. keep stating the agenda and the direction sho is going is about all you can do.

and yes i read them. participated in almost all of them as well actually.
As mentioned previously, there nothing fake about my member id or join date.
ok

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I suggest ekool introduces who he is?????
I'm just a car nut who happens to be a computer geek as well. I have a bit of experience with forums (vbulletin) and a bit of unix so I've been brought on board to help out with some of the vertical scope sites.

As mentioned already I've been around a lot of the larger car forums for a LONG time. My first real forum that I called home was supraforums.com back in the day where I've been a member since 2001. That was not my first forum, just the first one I spent a lot of time at.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
I'm just a car nut who happens to be a computer geek as well. I have a bit of experience with forums (vbulletin) and a bit of unix so I've been brought on board to help out with some of the vertical scope sites.
there's a few of us here :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
star1013fm.com CelebrityOrJoe.com and other i can't get back to just yet...
Those have been filtered, I think google takes about an hour to update the filter list.

i understand, but there is a lot more here than there was say...a week ago, and at least then it was relevant to cars. 14 ads for avril and avril related sites are useless here. you probably dont have any control over what google puts on, so maybe the answer lies in who the ad spots are sold to

i will agree with both of these, and in addition, i kind of like the look (the pic at the top of the screen)

new themes would be nice, but i know that is not something you are dealing with right now.

just trying to show im not beating up on everything
No worries, I understand. There is going to be more advertising here then there was before, but the site was losing money before and had the trend continued we would have had to shut it down. It is the goal that we can keep the site in the black and at least keep it alive with hardware and software upgrades.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
we should have an "introduction" thread. for noobs and stuff.:D
I agree, and it should be near the top of the forum list so its easy to spot. Should also contain some FAQ's and HowTo's (ie, search) to make everyones life easier :)

there's a few of us here :p
I can see :) I'm pretty much brand agnostic, as long as its fast it probably interests me.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I agree, and it should be near the top of the forum list so its easy to spot. Should also contain some FAQ's and HowTo's (ie, search) to make everyones life easier :)

I can see :) I'm pretty much brand agnostic, as long as its fast it probably interests me.
I think all guys share that trait, especially when it comes to women.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
i agree with christian

i think we should have members cars up there.. not cars that we know nothing about
I think we can introduce a random image into the header on the right. Remove most of the stuff thats there and have member car images featured.

A competition with picture submissions would be a good idea... with say the top 10 images selected getting a prize of some sort.

I'd be down for that.

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
I think we can introduce a random image into the header on the right. Remove most of the stuff thats there and have member car images featured.

A competition with picture submissions would be a good idea... with say the top 10 images selected getting a prize of some sort.

I'd be down for that.
alright cool

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
couldn't agree more. i've got a pentium notebook, amd desktop. although the notebook wasn't by preference, but by cost. processor is good, alot of the other hardware is complete crap though. stay away from toshiba notebooks is all i can say. nothing but problems and BSOD's since i got this turd. and i'm in the middle of converting to FC6 at home, so half the time i'm pretty much out of a computer except when i'm at work.

21 - 40 of 549 Posts