Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just bought a Apex-i VAFC, and got it tuned. Other then i fact that it looks cool on my steering wheel i only managed to get 2 more pounds of toque and like 2 more hp bringing my car to a grand total of .........162hp and 112lb of torque.....on the brighter side my fuel and air map is a nice smooth line.......

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
You keeping it OBD2 for the moment? The VAFC is good for what it does. Not the best, but it does do some good. Better than nothing.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The VFAC can only so so much as far as adjusting curves and all that. You can change your VTEC point also with it. A standalone system allows y ou complete control over t he system. You can run bigger injectors with the standalones as well as the other features it comes with. If all you need is a mild fuel adjustment then the VFAC will do what you want it to. If your putting in more aggresive cams then it won't be very much help for your situation. As far a Female's comment, if he wanted to go to OBD-1 he could run a Hondata or something similar to it.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yoshimitshu said:
Other then i fact that it looks cool on my steering wheel i only managed to get 2 more pounds of toque and like 2 more hp bringing my car to a grand total of .........162hp and 112lb of torque.....
Yeah but how much of a gain did you get everywhere else besides the peak? One time when I re-tuned my S-AFC (sort of a final fine-tuning) I lost almost 2whp peak but gained hp/tq virtually everywhere else on the plot... +7-8wtq at low revs. Peak numbers, as I've said before, don't mean everything, which is why we wish you would post a plot.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I agree with whats been said. The best way to tune is with an OBD1 ecu and hondata. However, VAFC works. Any reason you chose it over VAFC2? VAFC only allows for 8 data points. Say you set them at 1000rpm intervals. At 4500 rpms (halfway between two points) the settings might not be correct for you.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as far as response.....it doesnt feel any different, the guy who tuned it said that its pretty much set good from the factory. He was able to do as much as he could for better performance. Also as far as losing power throughout the rpm range there wasnt any loss. I'll get on those pics as soon as i have access to a Digital camera. Right now it serves no purpose other then looking cool

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
i sitll have the vafc2 that havne't been used yet hahah. i am plannin to go obd2 to obd1, so i probably gonna tune with hondata/chrome or something beside vafc2.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
yeah, when i got my new ecu socketed, chipped, and programmed, my vafc2 became just a display of lights. of course i need to take this beesh to the dyno and fine tune.. AH I NEED MONEY! :bomb

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
skunkshifting said:
Can I tune a small turbo with 450 injectors threw it?
You'd be MUCH better off with a standalone.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
skunkshifting said:
I know but im running low on money and I alreayd installed the VAFC-II
...okay...

You already made the mistake of buying before researching, so why are you asking? If I were you, I'd sell that and buy a standalone so you don't blow up the rest of your setup.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
gsro11 said:
how do you feel about a vafc on an OBD1??? and please explain your reasoning :D
Same reasoning as on OBD2. Only thing good (or better) about it being on the OBD2 is for some of the people who can not do an OBD2-OBD1 swap due to emmisions. Because when emmisions testing comes around, you will fail the OBD2 com port test.

If you are already OBD1, just do the Hondata/crome/uber/neptune/etc mod and be done with it. It has so much for flexibility instead of just some basic fuel points on the rpm band.

gsro11 said:
kennyfsu said:
Piggyback's suck, the best way to tune is through the ecu.
care to explain your opinion?
You have much greater control with tuning through the ECU. You can manipulate timing, fuel, boost, cold fuel enrichent, etc. All the piggy back does is fool the computer into thinking it is getting more air, so it adds more fuel. Hence the hack into the MAP sensor.

Ther eis a pretty informative article posted up, but then again, those sites are censored so I won't waste my time posting it.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
skunkshifting said:
Can I tune a small turbo with 450 injectors threw it?
From my understanding with the VAFC hack you could possibly use those large injectors for fuel tuning. But then again, you screw timing up along with the added fuel. So with those big injectors, your timing is really screwed up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So would my car run bad if i screwed up the timing. How come I see people running turbos off of VAFC and there car runs really good, and how come DSM's can tune there car off of SAFC? I just dont understand.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts