Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's truly impressive about our long-term Evo, though, is that despite all the horror stories we'd heard about owners prematurely blowing up turbos, engines and frying clutches, we spent absolutely nothing on repairs for this car. That's right...zero! The only problems were the intercooler sprayer that stopped working (fixed under warranty) and an annoying dash rattle at idle with the air conditioning on.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=1764

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd say they're just lucky to get an orange from a bag of lemon.

EVO is a great car in performance wise, not in reliability.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
adr said:

I kinda agree, I think mitsu would go great lengths to make sure a car being used by the press would be uber-reliable.

But then again, its a performer, and I havent heard of anything being wrong with them so it might be true. Believe half of what ya see and none of what ya hear.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
adr said:

Can you explain why you say that?
(really, i'm curious)
If you don't know how to maintain and take care of your car of course the reliability will go down. It doesn't matter if you drive a Honda or a Mitsu but if you hit the redline everytime you drive it out on the street then it'll shorten your car's life.
Of course, why would you buy a performance car if you don't use the performance. Now that's a thing I can't argue because it's true.

But this has been said before:

fast + cheap = not good reliability
good reliability + fast = not cheap
cheap + good reliability = not fast

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eg6hatch315 said:
Hence why I said uber-reliable
sorry i didnt understand you.

i doubt the press gets any super reliable car. after all, the parts has to be the same in the production car as press car. not to mention how much abused the press cars get. if it can stand up to the editors driving that thing around, i am sure its reliable enough.

plus now mitsubishi offers free scheduled maitenance.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
divinewisdom said:
sorry i didnt understand you.

i doubt the press gets any super reliable car. after all, the parts has to be the same in the production car as press car. not to mention how much abused the press cars get. if it can stand up to the editors driving that thing around, i am sure its reliable enough.

plus now mitsubishi offers free scheduled maitenance.

Yeah thats why I said its just one of those things that youll never be sure about. For the most part I bet they do get the same car you can drive off the lot. Definetly not bashing on mitsu, id love to own a GSX or something someday.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
when you compare today's turbo cars vs. those of 10-15 years ago, you can see how reliable they really are........i've always dealt with mid 80's boosted 4 cylinders and they're usually cheap to get ahold of because they're usually beat to hell and back.........today's cars are WAY ahead in terms of reliability.......i've yet to see any consistent bad info about the srt-4, evo8, or wrx/sti.......they're just tougher and meant to be beat on, even by dumbasses who think burnouts are the only thing you can do with 250whp

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Quik02Accord said:
(really, i'm curious)
If you don't know how to maintain and take care of your car of course the reliability will go down. It doesn't matter if you drive a Honda or a Mitsu but if you hit the redline everytime you drive it out on the street then it'll shorten your car's life.
Of course, why would you buy a performance car if you don't use the performance. Now that's a thing I can't argue because it's true.

But this has been said before:

fast + cheap = not good reliability
good reliability + fast = not cheap
cheap + good reliability = not fast
fast + cheap = not good reliability <--- All fast and not italian/german hehehe
good reliability + fast = not cheap <--- NSX, since ferrari are not that reliable
cheap + good reliability = not fast <--- honda, toyota, hyundai, kia

·
Registered
20,271 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
divinewisdom said:
i differ.
the cars given to the press are abused.
true.... coz they really wanna tap the max potential, and they didnt pay a single cent if they messed it up... wow i love to work as a car tester.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You must take everything with a grain of salt. I'm sure the press beats the living hell out of their test cars just as much as the average fanatic, however, they beat on stock cars, unlike the average fanatic. Big difference I would say. But you got to give Mitsubishi props for backing up their motor for 3yr/36months. It's a feat to output so much from a 2.0L with reliability, especially the FQ400, and to back it with a decent warranty is cool in my book.
I've heard the horror stories about turbos going etc with the Evo, but I'm sure those stories work down through the grapevine, yada yada yada, now everyone personally knows of an Evo blowing its engine...you know the deal. I've got a couple friends with Evos an STis, all modded in some shape or fashion and none of them have had issues, but that's just my experience.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quik02Accord said:
(really, i'm curious)
Why I said that?
'cause my friends suffered.(And I doubt that maintenance is the cause to failure.)
a) One of the EVO: Clutch started slipping around 5k, and failed around 10k.
(dealer solution: clutch is a wear item, so no warranty service)
Car not been abused or drag race before. (as far as I know)
b)Another EVO: Clutch makes weird noise. Almost impossible to engage 1st gear. Eventually failed around 8k. His car got squeaky brake also.

If you do a bit search on the internet, you can find hundreds of EVO owners
having same problems.

by the way, most of the time, those issues are not covered under that sounding 10 years warranty. Mitsu dealer will do their best to aviod warranty service. How pathetic!

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
It runs what? 19-20psi stock. That's a lot of boost. It's also a performance car, and a lot of the owners use them in such manner so they see way more abuse than the average car. One shouldn't expect the reliablity of a civic.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
That reminds me of the time I worked for Ford/Mazda, we delivered a new RX-8 to customer at 11:30 at night. We went to the gas station to fill it up with premium because we only have 87 at the pump in back. On the way there we noticed the tire pressure warning light was on, since it was so late, the service guys had already left and the gas station oddly had no air pump. So we checked the tire pressure and it was withing the factory recomended limits, so we told the guy to keep things on a low boil till he could come in tommorrow and have it looked at.

He looked at us like we had just had sex with his mother, he said "keep it on a low boil!?? its a sports car!!!" I felt like kicking him in the nuts, not only had he kept us there for almost three hours AFTER we where supposed to close becuase he was haggleing with the sales person, but my freind also had to pay for his gas because the tower guys left and we couldn't get the gas card. All this because this guy wanted to throttle his less than a day old car to shit on his ride home when he couldn't make up his mind on what frigging color he wanted.

Sports cars are very often driven to shit because MOST of the people who can afford them are assholes.

By the way, car companies with super long warrenties only have them because they already have a bad reputation for quality.

a piece of shit with a garuntee is nothing more than a garunteed piece of shit.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Peteex said:
By the way, car companies with super long warrenties only have them because they already have a bad reputation for quality.

a piece of shit with a garuntee is nothing more than a garunteed piece of shit.
i wouldnt say that.

i say if your product is good as you say it is, back it up.

look at the europeans, they have consistanly fallen behind the koreans in terms of intial quality surveys and some reliability. koreans give out 10 years power train warranty.

mercedes on the other hand are not offering free scheduled maitenance anymore this year and afterwards. go figure.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I don't know, super long warranties always seemed like a sales gimmick that car companies use when they have crap for products.

Bumper to bumper
Honda= 3year/36,000
Toyota= 3year/36,000
Subaru= 3year/36,000
Nissan= 3year/36,000

Hyundai= 5year/60,000
Mitsubishi= 5year/60,000

Powertrain:
Honda= 3/36
Toyota= 5/60
Subaru=5/60
Nissan=5/60

Hyundai=10/100
Mitsubishi=10/100

I understand that the korean manufactures are getting better, what bothers me is how horrible they were to begin with. MB started giving out free maintence when they had problems with their electronics suppliers and had numerous problems with the comand system. That just goes to show how people try to cover up general crappiness in their products by trying to warranty it away. The only reasons the european manufacturers stopped was because they realized how much money they were losing. Mitsubishi really has no choice anymore and is desperate to save themselves.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Peteex said:

a piece of shit with a garuntee is nothing more than a garunteed piece of shit..
Peteex said:
Mitsubishi really has no choice anymore and is desperate to save themselves.
With respect to Mitsubishi, I agree with your second statement more so than your first. Mitsubishi is fighting for its life and doing whatever it can to boost sales. I don't think their quality is so bad that they need this sort of warranty to cover up quality issues. Given, DSMs rank fairly low in the long-term reliability reports, but not so bad that it would need a 10/100 to entice customers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts