Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to put down order for a new system, and i was wondering if i need to order some thermal compounds/paste for the heatsink to be placed on the processor?

and which one should i get? i found 4 manufactuer on www.newegg.com which one should i get, its either ANTEC, Arcitic silver, cooler master, OCZ Technology, INC? which one?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
yep

Arctic Silver.

But it's really all about the application of it.

One small drop in the center of the cpu core and one small drop in the middle of the heatsink where it mates with the processor.

More does not = better when it comes to thermal compound.

Then, with a very clean edge of a credit card, carefully spread the drop and smooth it out evenly to the point where it's just a micro thin, even layer of silver. You want just enough so that the compound fills in the microscopic gaps between the cpu and heatsink, nothing more.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
H22 Bastard said:
Im about to put down order for a new system, and i was wondering if i need to order some thermal compounds/paste for the heatsink to be placed on the processor?

and which one should i get? i found 4 manufactuer on www.newegg.com which one should i get, its either ANTEC, Arcitic silver, cooler master, OCZ Technology, INC? which one?
It depends, what CPU is it for? and also do you want to maintain your warrenty for that cpu? AMD says if you use arctic silver your warrenty becomes null and void. I used arctic silver on my P4 and a thermaltake spark 7+ heatsink/fan it works helluva great. If ur getting intel they'll support it. If your getting the chip OEM i'd say go w/arctic silver and if the chip is DOA then just clean it all off before you exchange it. FSK it get the arctic silver and just clean it off if its DOA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.