Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well we are in the market for a used car that is economical, and reliable, but preferably somewhat fun...so we went and looked around today.
Drove several cars, but most were ether too slow and/or too plain, or out of our price range.
But actually the first car we drove was an 01 Civic EX (auto...I wanted a manual but the wife insists on an auto) and it was the best of them I think.

This is the *actual* car that were considering here: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oth&advanced=&start_year=2001&isp=y&cardist=0

What I am wondering is do these (I assume D17) Civics have any known and common problems? Or are they pretty reliable (meaning 200k without any major work).

Also what is a good price for this? I was thinking of offering $9200ish and going up to $10,000 if need be (I am pretty sure they will sell it at 10k)
If you dont want to click the link its an EX with almost 60k on it, and overall quite nice inside and out. No audible problems of any kind.

Thanks and any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhh...which gen is 6th gen??? I have no idea.
If its the gen before that, we drove one and I liked it but my wife hated it because it was "too cramped".
She is short and has to scoot the seat up all of the way, and also leans it foard a lot, and ususally she is comfortable like this, but not in the 99 civic we drove.

Anyway looks wise this one looks better anyway.
But mainly I am concerned with the reliability...in general I know hondas are pretty good...but are there any issues with these Civics?

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Dolby109 said:
Uhh...which gen is 6th gen??? I have no idea.
If its the gen before that, we drove one and I liked it but my wife hated it because it was "too cramped".
She is short and has to scoot the seat up all of the way, and also leans it foard a lot, and ususally she is comfortable like this, but not in the 99 civic we drove.

Anyway looks wise this one looks better anyway.
But mainly I am concerned with the reliability...in general I know hondas are pretty good...but are there any issues with these Civics?
mine is a 6th gen...EJ8 :D

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
well if you liked it then go ahead and buy it.

It's a civic..it's reliable...I think the 01 civics had trouble with the auto trannies but they recalled them and fixed them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK...so if it hasnt been fixed then I can still take it back to the dealer for the recal (technically I think its still under warranty for the next few hundred miles).

So are there any other issues? Just wanting to make sure and do some research before I buy it.
BTW what is it worth do you guys think? What should I offer, and what is the max I should pay.
I am hoping to get out the door for $10,000 or just a little more including tax/title.

·
Registered
466 Posts
For it's worth, go to the Kelly Blue Book site and put in the information. My girlfriend has an 01 Civic and it's never had any real problems at all. It only has like 20k miles, though (she bought it used with only 10k...), so it hasn't really been run around too much, but it seems to be holding up extremely nicely considering that it is about 4 years old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts