Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was taken from another forum as another reason why you shouldnt buy SS AutoChrome.
I will post more stuff so these stupid topics dont keep coming up.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

lucidvtec said:
ok a real good buddy of mine asked if i would help him install a turbo on his civic..so ya the car show's up and BAM he bust's out with a SSAUTOCHROME kit...OMG...i've heard the stories..but never seen the kit's....so i said this is going to be fun....oh ya the motor has already been swapped to a ZC...and we put the inline pump and fmu from my drag kit on ...since he's on a buget also the ssautochrome kit comes with no fuel upgrades whatsoever..well on the kit he ordered...he also got the intercooler kit as well...well first thing is we tore down the civic to get it prepped and so we could test fit everything...

before install

tore up

now that the crap is removed..test fit time

and here is the ssautochrome manifold/turbo/dp flange thingy

not bad lookin...but to get that together..we had to go buy new bolt's..and get a new return fitting...all the hardware they send is junk...even the dp flange was never decked..i bet it gets a leak soon if not right away...well i test fitted the manifold to the motor it didn't sit flush..i had to cut a peice off the the mounting plate to get it flush...and now the dp needs to go where the front crossmember is..so a CHUNK was cut out...lol....now the intercooler and manifold is mounted

so now i'm like i see what people are talkin about...this KIT needs so much work to just get on the car...the oil line kit it comes with..THROW AWAY...it was the scariest SS line i have ever seen...we got a kit so the T is not on the block and 2 real SS lines for like 80 bux from mccar....the stock oil pressure sender is a biotch..above the oil filter in the hardest to reach spot ever...a pic

ok ok...now i'm mad...this intercooler kit makes no sense at all....no U's...not one..so we got the part from the intercooler to TB hooked up...we had to use a piece from the original CAI..to make it work..the pipe has to be weldin for ur BOV it doesn't come flanged....now where to run the charge pipe to the IC....another thing this kit is supposed to be ac compatible but it's no where close..you have to run a half size raditor as well.....no AC in hot as* AZ..torture..now dan just want's to drive..i told him that he's gotta get some charge pipe made to finish it off..i had a couple of arron's to run..he was gonna stay for a bit and relocate his batterty and clean up some other wiring....well this is crazy...i came back home to find this...i guess dan didn't wanna wait..a buddy of his said use some good PVC pipe to finish it off.....so this is what he did

ROFL...OMG...can't stop laughing

wow...i thought i've seen it all...livin in az u seen some tore up honda's is really sad...but this was unreal.....well he couldn't start it up cause he's wating on his radiator...but wow...it's even painted silver ..don't be fooled...that's two inch pvc pipe and fittings from Home Depot...

have you ever seen something like this...wouldn't that melt or blow apart under boost....save your money people and get a real kit....DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.....LOL....well i'll post some pix of it when it starts maybe i should record it...to see if it blows apart...lol...on the plus side he only spent a grand for everthing...enjoy the chuckles =)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is more.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
looks like ass neway. i wouldnt buy that ever :bye, wtf they glued it 2gether. atleast it loooks like it.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
riceboy89 said:
greddy makes good entry level kits.
thats not the discussion at hand

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
itr206 said:
thats not the discussion at hand

yes i understand that. i was trying to say that his buddy (if he were new to the world of turbos like i am) should have gotten a greddy kit. thats all.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
riceboy89 said:
yes i understand that. i was trying to say that his buddy (if he were new to the world of turbos like i am) should have gotten a greddy kit. thats all.
you are missing the point. Its not that people dont understand that there arent better kits on the market. Its thatr they see buy now complete kit for $600 or whatever it is and buy it up.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
:idiots
And the problem is that's $600 WASTED, instead of $600 towards something that will work well. It's a damn shame. I wish people would understand the importance and value of doing things right the first time.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree.
Yes it might get done sooner if you cut corners, but it wont be done right and will be a headache forever.

This post is more to prove why they are not worth een that much money and to end the posts on Why is SSAC soo bad. Im tired of seeing the posts 3x a week

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
This is what it ends up being folks.

1.R & D = money and time spent by the company
2.Materials = money spent by the company
3.Advertising and promotion = time money spent plus the time spent locataing/signing retailers up for product dispersement.

This company(SSAUTOCHROME) is able to put such cheap kits on the market cause

1.There is no research and developement that has gone into their products this is why the mani's dont fit,piping is not right,turbos come apart,cracks,leaks,and all out failure comes with these kits.
2.The materials speak for themself.Manifolds seperating,boost controllers leak,shit comes apart at random for the most part.
3.Advertising....they have none.All their advertising is word of mouth,countless ebay names,and two websites.

If you are a true enthusiest you will see this company is nothing short of a scam and a joke.You simply do not take shortcuts when doing such a major mod to your car and yes a turbo is a major mod requiring fuel maps to be changed quite a bit and your cars reliability depends on the componets not failing.What happens when your runnin 10 psi on a t3 super 60 on a stock D series engine making around 210whp and your boost controller fails and lets you spike to 15/16psi.......your engine is toast more times than not.

It is simple,when buying any kind of turbo kit;you get what you pay for end of story.So dont throw your money away on this crap.

·
Registered
615 Posts
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

dude........i was so seriously going to get one of those SS Kits for my b18c1 powered hatch!! i was about 10 min from buying one on ebay!!!!! thanks for saving me some trouble peoples!!!! i'm searching the market for a turbo kit so if anyone finds anything good let me know! lol.....i'm a noob to this stuff and even i'm laughing at that one......thank you honda gods!!!!! so far the best deal i found was a drag stage III 2200 shipped! yall know of anything better?

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are turbo shops in China that just assemble turbos without dynamic balancing. The compressor housings are as porous as possible, the wheels are mismatched etc...
There are some that do their tooling and balancing on German and Japanese equipment. They balance at 150k+rpm. They have test rooms with ram-jets that run the turbos for 100hours at a time. They are also OEM suppliers for diesel engine manufacturers. Great units...
But, like you guys already know, you get what you pay for. They are not as cheap as the craptastic ones so that's what Mr. SS/XS Power buys. Crap.
The IC's are not much good either (even though that is the best part of the kit), and on top of that they are painted to hide the brazing discoloration. The whole deal is just wack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
fyi,

SSAUTOCHROME does NOT include any PVC piping in there kit, the intercooler kit is not there on the hot side or from the turbo compressor housing to the intercooler. this is someone trying to make them look bad again.

Also that picture of the broken turbo has been floating around the internet forever, and this issue has been fixed and food for thought yes the ssautochrome manifolds have been know to crack but they will work with you on this issue, they are trying to provide a manifold for 200 bucks who less does this, and hell i have seen a 1000 full race manifold crack you there nuts.

SSAUTOCHROME stuff works, we have trap 131mph on 24.5 slicks, on there turbo kit down to the turbo on a 1.8l ls/vtec on pump gas, we also have a d-series turbo coupe that runs 13.0 @ 113 on true street tires not bfg or nittos i am talking true pep boy street tires on a full ssautochrome kit. the coupe will go 12s with a good driver side motor mount.

welp that all i have to say, also please don't hate on a producted you have never tryed, don't go by want everyone says

Thanks
Richie

·
Registered
72 Posts
well I bought an intake manifold from ssautochrome. holds with 5psi but as soon as the hot shit hit it the chrome turned yellow then patchy, like I sanded it in certain areas and not others. Now it looks like shit, but it works, so since I am more concerned with performance I'm not too disappointed and I only paid $65 for it :D . to each his own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
see the intake manifold is working for you, i mean the finish may not be that great but shit a intake manifold for 65 bucks come on now, where else can you get a deal like that

1 - 20 of 89 Posts