Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
L0g1k said:
SSautochrome turbos don't use internal wastegate? So your not using any wastegate AT ALL???

I also heard from a turbo rebuilder that their turbos are not balanced. This is problematic because when turning at 100 000 rpms the turbo must be perfectly ballenced.

internally wastegating is not the only option. there are external ones that typically sit somewhere on the manifold and open when they sense max boost being reached via vaccuum line/internal spring. NOT using a wastegate will blow your motor the second you get on the gas hard. because basically youre making x boost. and X is infinite. because the turbo is spooling with no control. it WILL blow the motor. very quickly, if not immediately. which turbos spin to 100krpm? as far as i know most go near 60k or so..

and as far as SSAC parts go, any moron can buy piping and have it work fine. and if you didnt buy any IMPORTANT parts from them like you listed(turbo, wastegate,etc) then you SURELY cant give much credit to SSAC for the quality of the turbo. so even if your turbo does last for hundreds of thousands of miles, it sure as fuck aint gonna be cause of ssaC.

you just 0wnz0r3d yourself

·
Registered
567 Posts
all i can say i have had 2 kits work out extrely well i used my own waste gate bov. If your not sure how to tune or what ever this kit is not for you. the kits ssac makes are desinged as a cheap core turbo kit there are still several items required to make these kits reliable but for the price its well justified for any extra hassle you have to go through. basicaly what im saying is if you are looking for a direct install with no tuning go with a revhard kit and pay the 3k if your looking for a good deal and a little extra labor go with ssac 1k for complete low boost turbo kit is awesome deal. if anyone wants some details on my setups ill be more then happy just pm me

·
Registered
542 Posts
and be sure to post when you are boosted.... hahahahaha.... this is the forced induction forum.... lol.... ;) peace Mike

·
Registered
567 Posts
civic has been boosted for over a year no problems at all. boost or forced induction as you call it is the same thing, craming more air through a belt aka supercharger, turbo. I also have a 91 integra running 60shot of nitrous. anyway im not sure if you where talking to me when im boosted? i have always had one form or anther of a car that was boosted!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
ok so i ordered my kit before i found this post so i suck, i was planning to go with greddy beforei found this one, so i guess i will try to return the kit .i allready have one problem, i can see 2 pin holes in the welds of the manifold that let lite through so i will let you all know how the return is going also i am not afraid to take them to court it might be fun maybe even start a class action sute.

·
Registered
701 Posts
old thread revival

bringin back this oldie.

i forget wich forum it was on.. but they were duscussing XSpower or Xsboost? or whatever its called turbos.. they are part of ssac or something? but anyway.. they have upped there standards alot aparently.. and they ARE balanced.. and the reason people kill them is because they run stock oil psi threw them and to much oil kills it. alot of people used oil restrictors and had ZERO problems.

if i find the thread again i will post a link

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow that's a horrible story from the original poster. Anyone tried one of the kits lately? This thread is pretty old now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ksniperfox said:
internally wastegating is not the only option. there are external ones that typically sit somewhere on the manifold and open when they sense max boost being reached via vaccuum line/internal spring. NOT using a wastegate will blow your motor the second you get on the gas hard. because basically youre making x boost. and X is infinite. because the turbo is spooling with no control. it WILL blow the motor. very quickly, if not immediately. which turbos spin to 100krpm? as far as i know most go near 60k or so..

and as far as SSAC parts go, any moron can buy piping and have it work fine. and if you didnt buy any IMPORTANT parts from them like you listed(turbo, wastegate,etc) then you SURELY cant give much credit to SSAC for the quality of the turbo. so even if your turbo does last for hundreds of thousands of miles, it sure as fuck aint gonna be cause of ssaC.

you just 0wnz0r3d yourself
Actually, it was a question to the other guy, I miss understood what he said when he said he wasn't usaing their wastegate I tought he wasn't using any at all witch didn't make much sense.

And for the record, I am using: SS autochrome manifold, intercooler, wastegate, wastegate spring and a bit of piping.

I have now put around 35 000 km on the kit and the only problem I had was the gaskets between the manifold and turbo that wear out fast. I bought gaskets from Turbonetics (if I remember correctly) and havn't had any problem since then.

Overall my experience is that the kit didn't fit at all my car, but I'm surprised about the reliability of the kit.

I am satisfied with the results however, I'm putting 220 whp and 205 lbs of torque @ 7 psi witch is still pretty good.

Oh and I'm 25 for the other guy that doesn't seem to be able to understand that I obviously didn't understand what he wrote. Please give me a break, english is not my first language.. :rolleyes

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
rickgaskell said:
bringin back this oldie.

i forget wich forum it was on.. but they were duscussing XSpower or Xsboost? or whatever its called turbos.. they are part of ssac or something? but anyway.. they have upped there standards alot aparently.. and they ARE balanced.. and the reason people kill them is because they run stock oil psi threw them and to much oil kills it. alot of people used oil restrictors and had ZERO problems.

if i find the thread again i will post a link

that was on H-T. i just finished reading all 15 pages, and i am extremely pressured into getting one of their kits right now.

http://www.honda - tech.com/zerothread?id=1730931&page=15

·
Registered
567 Posts
just thought i would update both cars running great no problems still :p i installed one on my buddies car worked great like i said just gotta know what ur doing its not a drop in kit you do have to do some minor stuff to the kit to make it reliable but never the less it works great

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
accord_limited1 said:
just thought i would update both cars running great no problems still :p i installed one on my buddies car worked great like i said just gotta know what ur doing its not a drop in kit you do have to do some minor stuff to the kit to make it reliable but never the less it works great

car/turbo specs?

SSAC kits?

·
Registered
567 Posts
my cars that i have installed the ss auto are already on here a few pages back kits work great just have to be smart enough to know that the kit arnt complete :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
NegroDamus said:
How long has the kit been on the car?
For my part it's been over 30 000 km (about 20 000 miles). Blew the gaskets that came with the kit (replaced for turbonetics) but the manifold hasn't cracked and the kit has been reliable up to now. But it have been 75% remade when it was installed.

My biggest problem was that it doesn't fit at all "bolt on" like advertised. Other wise my friends are all impressed by the kit.

Mind you I also do some occasional lapping days with my car and this demands a lot from a turbocharged engine.

Right now the car is already stored for winter, we already receive 6 inch of snow here :cry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive had no problem with the SS kit except the turbo itself. Its on a B18a. We replaced the turbo with a 16g. Runs like a champ now.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts

I figured I'd drop my 2cents in. I have over the years used and installed many forced induction kits. Whether they be superchargers or turbos. Since this is about a turbo charger kit I will Lean toward that side of the conversation. I have personally installed one of the JACKSON RACING TURBO KITS on my old teggy(89') (that was forever ago). If you don't remember JR making turbo kits, you haven't been doing this long enough. Just a little history on how far back my experience goes.

There are two types of kits out there - complete bolt on like the Greddy,drag and edlebrock. Then there are turbo kits that are more of a 'tuner' style kit. Typically less expensive because they are more of a universal style kit that may require modification to work for you. The XSPower and SSAutochrome kits are of this type.

Now a COMPLETE PER APPLICATION kit anyone should be able to install - the R&D is there to make it work right and fit properly. But you just paid $3000 for that. But it is a VERY safe bet that your not going to have problems with your kit and if you do - you paid the extra money for them to answer the phone in the event that your kit fails. If you don't know what a wideband O2 sensor is or how to even utilize one or why a fuel pressure gauge is important- stick with this style of turbo kit - it is setup for people like you.

Try to think that XS and SS don't sell complete kits - (I haven't found a complete kit from them YET) They don't offer anything for fuel/engine management - your first sign that this kit isn't complete. They offer you a CORE setup - one that gives you the basic hard parts you need to install a turbo and make it work - with some knowledge and tuning and some more money these kits can be rewarding. But they are in no means a beginner's place to start. These kits actually require you to know what your doing - otherwise you will wind up having problems.

You wouldn't expect a engine a first time 18Y/O rebuilt to be overly reliable especially if he did it himself without ANY instruction or help. The same thing applies here. You are giving somthing without ANY instructions to people that have never installed a turbo before. So yeah they are going to have alot to complain about. I honestly feel that Alot of the porblems associated with these kits comes from the lack of the installers knowledge.

I cannot speak for the quality of the products, But I can say that I have pulled out of the box stuff from greddy, drag, edelbrock, dart, spearco and a SLEW of other companies that had somthing wrong with it right out of the box. The only difference is that they actually answered the phone when you called them for warranty issues.

In closing - Is SS or XS junk? Or does it suffer from lack of installation knowledge and proper fitment?
HENRY​

61 - 80 of 89 Posts