Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today, i raced a completely stock, manual lancer OZ. we raced 4 times. every time, i got him off the line, just cus of his mad wheel spin. i held my lead of about 1/4 of a car till about 80-85mph, then he started to pull ahead of me. in my car, i was all by myself. he had 3 passengers in his.
shouldn't i have beaten him easily?
its a SOHC
it has 120 hp at 5500 rpm
130 lb/ft of tq at 4250
techinacally i have more top end than he does. i have more hp and it peaks later, so why was he starting to pull ahead at 85 mph?

·
Registered
964 Posts
could be gearing. if your gears are too tall and his are to short. he could eventually top out at ? 120ish and you could go to 130ish. the gap in gears would give him the advantage up top even though you peak better and rev longer

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
might it have anything to do with him having 5 speeds and i only have 4? also, what gear would i be in at around 85mph? i think my rpms were around 5 or 6k. i think it would be 3rd but i wasnt really paying attention. cus if i was in 4th, then it would make sense that he statred to pull ahead. cus i would be nearing the end of my gears, while he still has one more to go. but, cndctrdj, your idea seems to make some sense too.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eg6hatch315 said:
Well as a general guideline for a race you should compare:

-Curb Weight
-Gear ratio
-Wheel size
-Of course hp/tq but also where they are strongest throughout the powerband

and the fact that you have an auto tranny is a couple tenths slower. I bet if you were 5speed youd take em.
he had the stock OZ wheels on. i think they are 14's, same as mine. the curb weight for his car is 2700. the manual integra is 2643, i think the auto is about 50 lbs heavier. does this sound right? where is the strongest points on the Lancer's powerband? i dont know about gearing. and i dont even know what to look for if i looked up the gearing of the cars.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
druuuu said:
he had the stock OZ wheels on. i think they are 14's, same as mine. the curb weight for his car is 2700. the manual integra is 2643, i think the auto is about 50 lbs heavier. does this sound right? where is the strongest points on the Lancer's powerband? i dont know about gearing. and i dont even know what to look for if i looked up the gearing of the cars.
Lancer O-Z rally - Final Drive Ratio 4.04

Im not sure what a teg is but I think the only reason you lost is because of auto tranny.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eg6hatch315 said:
Lancer O-Z rally - Final Drive Ratio 4.04

Im not sure what a teg is but I think the only reason you lost is because of auto tranny.
yeah, i figured i wouldve won if i had a 5 spd. well technically speaking, i did kinda win. i held my lead all the way to the end. he never actually got in front of me cus by the time he started to pull, we had to slow down. so, uh... i guess we could say i won, eh? :D

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
druuuu said:
yeah, i figured i wouldve won if i had a 5 spd. well technically speaking, i did kinda win. i held my lead all the way to the end. he never actually got in front of me cus by the time he started to pull, we had to slow down. so, uh... i guess we could say i won, eh? :D
Yeah pretty much. Shoulda included that in ur first post haha. I dont count someone passing me as I slow down getting beat

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eg6hatch315 said:
Yeah pretty much. Shoulda included that in ur first post haha. I dont count someone passing me as I slow down getting beat
yeah i shouldve. i didnt cus i was more curious about why he wouldve beaten me if we had kept going. it was pissing me off cus hondas are notorius for top end, and i was a little concerned about why a Lancer seemed to have more than me.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
adamH20 said:
i would think that u would have smoked him .... but i dont know he could have had something he wasnt telling u about ?
nah man. i kno him. hes in my physics class. he wouldnt lie to me

·
Registered
964 Posts
you should do a project in your phpysics class with the two cars and try to figure out why he was pulling on you. you could incorperate drag coefficients, whp, wtq, sprung weight and unsprung weight, gearing, and then youd find your answere and get a good grade...... ooo you could race and then show the cops the project and get away with it... that sounds good, all accept the last part

o ya, to help with your gearing question. if you have a dyno chart of your car, it will tell you rpm range hp and tq ratings. then go out and drive the car. write down where you were at, at each rpm mark and each speed mark. like, 95mph=6500rpms. and so on.
then do the same with his car. then you could see that his car makes 20hp more at the same mph as yours does. but your gear climes higher than his and you would have eventually gotten into your powerban and pulled on him, or whatever..... just a thought

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cndctrdj said:
you should do a project in your phpysics class with the two cars and try to figure out why he was pulling on you. you could incorperate drag coefficients, whp, wtq, sprung weight and unsprung weight, gearing, and then youd find your answere and get a good grade...... ooo you could race and then show the cops the project and get away with it... that sounds good, all accept the last part

o ya, to help with your gearing question. if you have a dyno chart of your car, it will tell you rpm range hp and tq ratings. then go out and drive the car. write down where you were at, at each rpm mark and each speed mark. like, 95mph=6500rpms. and so on.
then do the same with his car. then you could see that his car makes 20hp more at the same mph as yours does. but your gear climes higher than his and you would have eventually gotten into your powerban and pulled on him, or whatever..... just a thought
wow. if only i had that kindof time

·
Registered
964 Posts
give up sleep!
thats what i had to do, to be able to work on my trans am and my prelude, fix and ride my dirtbike, work 60 hours a week, surf, get online, spend time with women, o ya in no particular order

·
Registered
37,990 Posts
dude.....my auto lancer runs 18.2 in the 1/4 so he beat you... thats a wow he is not stock at all. and they weight around almost 3k. so i still think you shoulda beat him. but then again.......he did have a 5 speed so thats prolly why he pulled you on the high end of the speed-o

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.