Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...wanna know about camber kits and the need for them. I have a 5gen and I wanna lower it. How many of you with 5gen ludes out there are lowered and require a camber kit.

How much did you lower or need to lower before requiring a camber kit?
How much are the camber kits and who makes them....where can i get one?

· Registered
547 Posts
i am not currently lowered, but i soon will be. i have my springs and shocks, im just waiting for spring to come!

usually,... people say if u lower 2", u should get a camber kit. also, u should consider getting an allignment.

but, check out the suspension forum, theres a lotta info there about... well... um... suspension!!!!:D

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Definately get an alignment after you lower your car. It should be able to show your camber and toe, and if a camber kit is needed or not. To my knowledge, Progress and Ingalls make nice kits...

· Registered
4,134 Posts
I have a 1.7 front and 1.5 drop and i'd say wait 2-3 weeks after springs settle. I am getting it aligned next week and will let u know. As far as how much they cost they have a great price on www.groupbuycenter.com for ingalls that u might want to check out.

· Registered
452 Posts
Been there and have em

Check my setup page (dated:12/10/01) on ************.com. All the part numbers are there.
I agree that an alignment is most important. You don't have to wait for it IMO. i had mine the same day and was able to order the kits. My first setup had Eibach prokit springs/Koni "yellow" shocks and now the Neuspeed/Koni combo (1.7"F/1.5"R). The kits remained the same.
You have questions send me an e-mail with your alignment data and I'll do my best to help. For those looking for either Ingalls or Specialty Products kits-I bought mine from Ultra Performance in Tuscon--they are terrific for service and price. If you have an SH you can get front kits from www.northstarmfg.com.
All of these companies are open to chat by phone and are very helpful.
Good luck and happy lowered Luding

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know about the alignment... but at the same time ..should i let the springs settle first and then get the alignemnt...or get it done right away.

Still some of you said you have the camber kit....but is it really needed if i'm only droping like 1.25 - 1.5 I mean my suspension already set me back like 1,000 ...the last thing i wanna buy is camber kit that cost another 300.

GOD i should never fell in love with the whole import tuning stuff...MY ass is broke now.:D

· Registered
4,134 Posts
element h22 said:
u should wait for ur springs to settle,... 2-3 weeks (depending on how much driving u do) then go get an alignment ...

~!peace!~
Agreed and the alignment will tell u if u have bad enough camber to get one

· Registered
31 Posts
quick question...i want to get the Mugen Showa Sports Suspension Kit for my base and at Kingmotorsports it says it lowers about 1". i know even lowering your car slightly affects the camber but with a 1" drop will it be so minimal it hardly affects tire wear?

· Registered
4,134 Posts
It is a little more then a 1" drop. personally i think that is a waist of $ b/c u can't adjust it. I would go w/ teins if i were u but that is just my opinion:p

· Registered
21 Posts
I originally went witht eh neuspeen race spring which lowered the car about 2.5 inches> I needed a camber kit badly after that. I went though a set of tires in about 500 miles. Then i went ahead and got some AGX KYB 4-way adjustables on the corners and the camber problem somehow fixed itself, i'm getting even tire wear and its been about 2500 miles so far. STRANGE
:ssj:

· Registered
31 Posts
jc836 said:
Check my setup page (dated:12/10/01) on ************.com. All the part numbers are there.
I agree that an alignment is most important. You don't have to wait for it IMO. i had mine the same day and was able to order the kits. My first setup had Eibach prokit springs/Koni "yellow" shocks and now the Neuspeed/Koni combo (1.7"F/1.5"R). The kits remained the same.
You have questions send me an e-mail with your alignment data and I'll do my best to help. For those looking for either Ingalls or Specialty Products kits-I bought mine from Ultra Performance in Tuscon--they are terrific for service and price. If you have an SH you can get front kits from www.northstarmfg.com.
All of these companies are open to chat by phone and are very helpful.
Good luck and happy lowered Luding
i am thinking i might go with an H&R Sport/Koni Yellow setup or a mugen (dont know yet still deciding) but if i go with the Sport/Yellow setup i am guessing i will need a camber kit. i went to Northstar Manufacturing Online to look at camber kits and prices for the base and i am a little confused...i looked at their application chart for the base and they had all these things like front/rear camber, front/rear tools, front caster, rear toe. do i need to get all of that? or can i just get the front/rear camber kit?

· Registered
452 Posts
To Fastline

I would give Northstar a call to determine exactly what you would need from them. I looked at the one front end part and it has a range of 1 degree.
They will tell you exactly what is needed to do an install of their parts. Actually the only special tool I see you needing at home is a ball joint press. This project is best done at the alignment shop IMHO and that is how i went about it for the front end. As I note in my setup I used Ingalls adjustable anchor bolts in the rear. There are no clearance issues with these and it is generally a do it yourself project-on the car if you have the right tools to break loose the bolts on the control arms. Ingalls and Specialty Products have excellent parts-the choice again depends on your alignment data. Also remember NOT to get the poly bushing version unless it is a race application.
BTW: The most important tool you can buy for your car is a high quality (Craftsman click) torque wrench. A 1/2" drive 20-250 model is really useful-particularly for your lug nuts, which should never be tightened with an air gun--warped rotor city among other things.
You got more Q's--drop me an e-mail

· Registered
119 Posts
I have H&R race springs (2 inch drop) with KYB AGX shocks on my car (about 2yrs). Till this day I have never aligned my car and have no problems with camber or toe adjustments. My tires wear evenly. I have to say every prelude is different, some cars need camber kits, some don't. Both my brothers have 94 civics lowered with the same springs and both got alignments. One car has uneven tread wear (burning the inside of the tire) and the other civic has no problems. Its weird. I say install them, get it aligned if you wish, then check regularly for tire wear. I you notice uneven tread on your tires, get a set of camber kits. Like I said, I don't have camber kits on my 5th gen lude and I have no problems.

· Registered
4,233 Posts
i kinda agree with 97Luder..every car is diff. i have eibach prokit on stock shocks and never got my car re-aligned and i have no problems what so ever..its been almost a year..i'd stick to the 2" statment though..if you're any lower you should get a camber kit..also it was posted a while back so i forget the reason but eibach springs and koni yellows is NOT a good combo..some sort of compatibility issue..check tirerack.com for further info on this..peace

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.